The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

tiny little black spots in scar

Forums General Melanoma Community tiny little black spots in scar

Participant

Hi there,

Hi there,

Some of you may remember me. I was diagnsoed with a melanoma in situon my upper arm in May, had a further excision in June and it came back with atypia at the edges, went for another excision in July which came back still atypical at the edges and was told to "stop worrying about it and get on with my life". Yes, that's a direct quote from the dermatologist! I had a gut feeling not to trust that advice, so went for a 2nd opinion at MSKCC in NYC and had the slides re-read,.Their opinion was that there was still melanoma in situ present so I had a further excision on October 20, much wider, by a different surgeon, and had the slides read twice, inlcuding by the same pathologist at MSKCC. This time it came back with CLEAR MARGINS. Hip hip hooray!

The scar is healing well, about 3" long and quite indented because of the size of the piece of skin that was removed. I went to see the surgeon last Friday for a check-up and he had a quick look at it and we had another long discussion about sunscreen etc. Today, I was checking it out in a mirror (it's hard for me to see because of where it is) and it looks like there's a couple of little dark spots in it. I had my husbnad check it out and he said it looks like  little dark pores, like blackheads, or  little scabs (but there's no roughness), so of course, I am freaking out thinking that the evil thing has come back.

What should I do? Is it possible for it to come back SO soon and would a re-appearnace manifest this way?

Thanks, Jennifer

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        2atlascedars
        Participant
          Hi Jennifer,

Sorry to hear this is still haunting you.

With what I have been through, I have logged nearly 2 feet of scars between my multiple procedures (WLE, SNB, and skin graft donor sites) and I know they can look a bit knarly while they are healing, but I haven’t seen anything quite like you describe.

Two questions for you:
          1) Are you sure it isn’t just dried blood?
          2) What were the stats from your biopsies?
          a) Breslow’s Depth
          b) Clark’s Level
          c) Ulceration (or not)
          d) Mitotic Index (no./ sq. mm)
          e) Regression (present or not)
          f) Evidence of lymph system invasion (or not)
          g) Evidence of vascular system invasion (or not)

Best regards,
          Mark (Stage 2A) from California

2atlascedars
          Participant
            Hi Jennifer,

Sorry to hear this is still haunting you.

With what I have been through, I have logged nearly 2 feet of scars between my multiple procedures (WLE, SNB, and skin graft donor sites) and I know they can look a bit knarly while they are healing, but I haven’t seen anything quite like you describe.

Two questions for you:
            1) Are you sure it isn’t just dried blood?
            2) What were the stats from your biopsies?
            a) Breslow’s Depth
            b) Clark’s Level
            c) Ulceration (or not)
            d) Mitotic Index (no./ sq. mm)
            e) Regression (present or not)
            f) Evidence of lymph system invasion (or not)
            g) Evidence of vascular system invasion (or not)

Best regards,
            Mark (Stage 2A) from California

Janner
            Participant

Most of Mark's questions don't really apply to in situ lesions.

These dots could be nothing, or something.  Stitches, dried blood, freckles…  I think it unlikely they are new since your last visit, so your doctor probably thought them nothing.  I figure you have two options.  Either call your doctor or monitor this yourself.  If you choose to monitor yourself, I would take as good a photo as you can.  Use a macro setting and a high resolution camera.  Take the photo in lighting you can duplicate so when you check the lesion, the lighting is the same.  Then you can look at the lesion monthly and compare.  If you see change, have it biopsied.  No change, I probably wouldn't worry.  However, you have to do whatever makes YOU comfortable!

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
              Participant

Most of Mark's questions don't really apply to in situ lesions.

These dots could be nothing, or something.  Stitches, dried blood, freckles…  I think it unlikely they are new since your last visit, so your doctor probably thought them nothing.  I figure you have two options.  Either call your doctor or monitor this yourself.  If you choose to monitor yourself, I would take as good a photo as you can.  Use a macro setting and a high resolution camera.  Take the photo in lighting you can duplicate so when you check the lesion, the lighting is the same.  Then you can look at the lesion monthly and compare.  If you see change, have it biopsied.  No change, I probably wouldn't worry.  However, you have to do whatever makes YOU comfortable!

Best wishes,

Janner

ValinMtl
                Participant

Hi Jennifer

They seem to have come back very quickly but if I were you I would get them checked out asap.  I had radiation on my leg that resulted in 2nd degree burns ending January what could possibly exist there!…this is after my 2 round of surgeries August/October (corrective)…and then time for healing…by March I was noticing little black spots…yep, it was back. BY the way, dermatologist who runs the melanoma clinic where I go actually said she wouldn't bother biopsing IF I didn't have melanoma!!..good thing she did.

First time around, my surgery after my SND in August was in October 2008..did interferon but stopped when my surgeon (young with eagle eyes and after a  dermatologist had o.k'd me as clear at the same time) noticed tiny black spots…that I didn't even see those!!

Please have one biopsied.  Val

mifis
                    Participant

Thanks for your replies. I will call the doctor and get it checked out again. He didn't really have a very close look at it on Friday, just a quick glance. I will also photograpf it. Thanks for your suggestions and support, Jennifer

mifis
                      Participant

Thanks for your replies. I will call the doctor and get it checked out again. He didn't really have a very close look at it on Friday, just a quick glance. I will also photograpf it. Thanks for your suggestions and support, Jennifer

ValinMtl
                      Participant

Hi Jennifer

They seem to have come back very quickly but if I were you I would get them checked out asap.  I had radiation on my leg that resulted in 2nd degree burns ending January what could possibly exist there!…this is after my 2 round of surgeries August/October (corrective)…and then time for healing…by March I was noticing little black spots…yep, it was back. BY the way, dermatologist who runs the melanoma clinic where I go actually said she wouldn't bother biopsing IF I didn't have melanoma!!..good thing she did.

First time around, my surgery after my SND in August was in October 2008..did interferon but stopped when my surgeon (young with eagle eyes and after a  dermatologist had o.k'd me as clear at the same time) noticed tiny black spots…that I didn't even see those!!

Please have one biopsied.  Val

Viewing 5 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics