The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Tiny black dot?

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Tiny black dot?

Participant

Anyone have a tiny black dot NOT be melanoma?

I have found a a black mole near my knee… Started 3-4 months ago as tiny weeny fleck, just about able to see, which I ignored. Yesterday I realised it had grown and is very dark. It is just under 1mm diameter now.

(I have had a lot of skin changes in last 2 years, 2 biopsies  done by dermatologist that thankfully came back ok). 

It seems that what I have read on a couple of forums, that many melanomas start like this, some even being diagnosed at stage 2 this small 🙁 

Obviously I am booking up to see dermatologist, but I am UK, so there is often a week or two's wait, which worries me, incase this is something nasty…

Any help SINCERELY appreciated

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        Treadlightly
        Participant

I actually did have a melanoma, but it did not start this way at all. It was very deep below the skin and I could only see it when the skin was wet…which made the skin more translucent. It was not round at all, but irregular and more rectangular in shape.

A few years after my melanoma, I noticed a tiny black dot appear near my original melanoma. Over time it got bigger, so my doctor removed it for biopsy, and it was not melanoma. 

It is good you are taking action on it, but it may not actually be melanoma.

Mark 2A

wildpoppy
            Participant

Thank you so much Mark, for replying, sincerely grateful. Sorry it took e too long to get back to you, I have been feeling really down. What was your tiny black dot? Was it actually a mole? Or a dysplastic mole? I am worried that they will laugh at me because it so small (just about a smidge under 1mm). But it is new, I kind of saw it 3-4 months ago, but it was a weeny black speck under the skin, so I just ignored. Fast forward, all of a sudden is this black growth. It looks like a speck of something stuck to me. I have nothing on my body similar…….. Everything on me is light to mid brown, with a couple of dark mid brown moles.

May I ask how you are now? How long ago were you diagnosed? Did they give you treatment if you are 2A? Thanks for your help, sincerely, I'm trying to be a bit more positive after reading your reply… 

wildpoppy
              Participant

PS. I go on this Friday, I just have to think of a way to get them to biopsy it, as historically, even though I have a family history, they think I am paranoid (perhaps I am?)… Ugh… I just want it off though 🙁 

Treadlightly
                Participant

Hi Wild,

My tiny black dot was identified in the biopsy as a "moderately atypical nevus," so it was good that I got it removed. It was a fraction of a millimeter in diameter, and perfectly round. My doctor was more than happy to remove it…as he says…"what are we waiting for…?" 

With my treatment, because my melanoma was more than 1 mm in depth, I needed to have a sentinel lymph node biopsy (SLNB), which is a procedure in which radioactive dye is injected into the lesion site, before the wide local excision (WLE), and then the surgeon searches for the lymph node or nodes that receive the dye and remove them for biopsy testing. Since I had a negative SLNB result, it indicated that the cancer had not developed the ability to spread to nearby lymph nodes or other organs. That outcome determined my stage…2A.

At this point, I am almost 8 years from my diagnosis….or 8 years NED (as they say). I am doing great and have no restrictions or limitations with my health. 

Look…I know the spectre of cancer is terrifying. It can feel like the end of the world. But you are doing everything you can to be on top of it. Even if the worst case scenario should occur…based on what you have described…you should be fine in the end. Catching something like this early is the absolute best think you can do.

Wishing all the best for you!
                  Mark 2A

wildpoppy
                  Participant

Sincerely thank you… I went to my appt, the dermatologist agreed to remove. Phew. I go just over a week for removal. He told me that I also have an atypical nevus on my belly… Should I have that removed also? He said to watch, but it makes me nervous.  I am so happy that you are 8 years NED… That truly is amazing. Do you think your original was due to sun exposure? Do you now avoid the sun? I love the sun, but have become very paranoid lately, shame as we are having great weather here in UK. You are right, the spectre is a terrifying idea… But thank you for all the support. Sincerely, I have felt very loney, so it means a lot to me. Kimmy

Treadlightly
                    Participant

Hi Kimmy,

My melanoma was apparently not due to sun exposure. It was on the sole of my heel, which gets the least amount of sun on my entire body. 

I am glad to hear you had the tiny spot removed. It really wouldn't hurt to get the belly one removed also…but no need to rush. 

I too enjoy the sun. I try to use SPF 30 sunblock whenever possible, and still go to the beach occasionally.

I am very happy for you that your weather has been so favorable. I feel that a sunny day helps to brighten our spirits, so I hope it continues shining for you!

On this site, we are all here for each other. It always helps to know that there is someone who has been where you are and can give you advice based upon their experience.

Best regards,
                      Mark 2A

Viewing 0 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics