The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Time frame for choosing Interferon?

Forums General Melanoma Community Time frame for choosing Interferon?

Participant

Through the seven+ years I've been coming to this forum, I retained information that post WLE and SNB, there was a window of 57 (?) days to choose to do interferon.   Where the heck did I come up with this?   I tried looking for this fact, and I can't find it.   Is there factual basis for this?   I know there was a good post that EmilyandMike put up (10/12/12) with different physicians opinions on Interferon.   I know there is great debate on interferon usage/success.   But what I'd like to have cleared up for futu

Through the seven+ years I've been coming to this forum, I retained information that post WLE and SNB, there was a window of 57 (?) days to choose to do interferon.   Where the heck did I come up with this?   I tried looking for this fact, and I can't find it.   Is there factual basis for this?   I know there was a good post that EmilyandMike put up (10/12/12) with different physicians opinions on Interferon.   I know there is great debate on interferon usage/success.   But what I'd like to have cleared up for future warriors is this time frame business.   I don't want to spread inaccurate information (which I sort of did in another post, which is prompting this one).

CarolA 

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Hi Carol!

The rationale behind the 57 days (or thereabouts) stems from the clinical trials originally done on Interferon.  Basically, all the people in the clinical trials were required to start Interferon within that time frame.  So if you are looking at the results of the trials to analyze the data, all the data comes from people who started Interferon in that time frame.  There is no data out there saying Interferon is as effective if it is started months later — but also no data that says it isn't.  It's unknown.

Janner

CarolA
            Participant

Thanks, Janner.   I thought of just addressing this question to you as I figured you would have the answer.   Great clarification!   As usual, I have to compliment you as to what an asset you are to this forum.   Cheers!

CarolA
              Participant

Thanks, Janner.   I thought of just addressing this question to you as I figured you would have the answer.   Great clarification!   As usual, I have to compliment you as to what an asset you are to this forum.   Cheers!

CarolA
                Participant

Janner
                Participant

Hi Carol!

The rationale behind the 57 days (or thereabouts) stems from the clinical trials originally done on Interferon.  Basically, all the people in the clinical trials were required to start Interferon within that time frame.  So if you are looking at the results of the trials to analyze the data, all the data comes from people who started Interferon in that time frame.  There is no data out there saying Interferon is as effective if it is started months later — but also no data that says it isn't.  It's unknown.

Janner

Janner
                  Participant

Hi Carol!

Janner

dian in spokane
                    Participant

Carol,

I did interfeon back in 03, and if I recall (my memory is screwed) it was right on the INTRON info packet I got before starting.. You might be able to go right to their website and find that time frame listed on the instructions

dian in spokane
                      Participant

Carol,

I did interfeon back in 03, and if I recall (my memory is screwed) it was right on the INTRON info packet I got before starting.. You might be able to go right to their website and find that time frame listed on the instructions

dian in spokane
                        Participant

Carol,

Viewing 5 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics