The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Thyroid Nodule

Forums General Melanoma Community Thyroid Nodule

Participant

I am currently a Stage 1, diagnosed in July 2018 with a .6mm spitzoid melanoma on my upper right arm.  I have been having neck issues and had a thyroid ultrasound last week that showed a 1.1cm nodule.  The ultrasound report said low suspicion pattern and my doctor has said no further action.  Of course, I am thinking, how do you know this from an ultrasound, and should I have a biposy to ensure not melanoma?  Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        MarkR
        Participant

Hi 

I can only pass on my own experiences but I also had a  thyroid nodule found on Ultrasound that I had no knowledge of.  Mine was 1.2cm.  It was assessed by Uktrasound and the features determined it was a U3 – indeterminate nodule.  I had a biopsy that was inconclusive and then another biopsy that showed some cells that could be seen in cancerous nodules.  I then had a follow up Thallium scan that showed the nodule was ‘cold’.  I then had a PET scan that showed a low level uptake in the nodule and we decided it needed removing for safety’s sake.  

The nodule was removed and had 2 small deposits of melanoma in it.  I am stage 4

I did a lot of reading about thyroid nodules during this period and know that they are extremely common especially in those over 40.  The uktrasound is the first step in assessment and if it came back ok it is unlikely to be anything as the ultrasound test is pretty accurate when it is either OK or cancerous.  Unfortunately mine was in between.

Given your melanoma depth it is unlikely to have spread so I would think you will be fine.  I would suggest pushing for another uktrasound in 6 months or so just to make sure it isn’t changing

all the best 

Mark

BillB
          Participant

Hi, I to have thyroid nodules.  My oncologist requested an ultrasound guided fine needle aspiration of the largest nodule. Eases the mind to know. The procedure is very easy and pretty low risk.

Bill

MMH
            Participant

Thank you both for responding. I am going to speak to my doctor about next steps. My thyroid blood tests keep coming back normal so it is a bit concerning and I want to keep an eye on this because it seems to have just cropped up – I went in due to senstive front of neck so I tend to thing this is a new nodule.  Thank you both.  

BillB
              Participant

MMH, all of my thyroid tests continue to be normal too

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics