The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Three Years Out All Is Well Questions on Original Pathology Report Just Received

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Three Years Out All Is Well Questions on Original Pathology Report Just Received

• This topic is empty.
    Participant
      This is the third year anniversary of my melanoma diagnosis.  No recurrence or new melanoma.

Previously all I was given was the dermatologist’s summary of my pathology reports.  After reading and learning from the vast knowledge of those of you here, I realized I needed the actual physical pathology reports.

Originally, I was told I was stage 1a with a Breslow depth of 0.20.  Micotic rate of zero.  This was the only information that I was given, but I was concerned because I learned here that the type of biopsy done, a shave may cause problems with staging if the margins were transected.

This is the information in the original pathology report:

Diagnosis:                                     Malignant Melanoma
      Breslow Thickness.                  :    0.22mm AT LEAST
      Clark Level.                              :    II
      Ulceration.                                :    Absent
      Mitoses.                                    :    Zero per square millimeter
      Tumor infiltrating Lymphocytes :    Absent
      Regression.                               :    Absent
      Microsatellitosis.                        :    Absent
      Lymphovasular Invasion.           :    Not Identified
      Margins.                                     :   Intraepidermal and dermal component transected at base of specimen.    
                                                             Intraepidermal component transected at peripheral margins.( The edge or outer                   
                                                             boundary.)

Location                                     :    Right Anterior Shoulder
      Clinical Information.                   :    0.6 by 0.4 cm irregular dark brown thin papule or nevus mole
      Microscopic.                               :    A neoplasm, (abnormal growth of cells can be benign), is broad, asymmetric,
                                                              and comprised of atypical melanocytes, (epidermal cells that produce pigment),
                                                              both singly and in nests throughout all levels of the epidermis and in the dermis.
                                                              Single melanocytes in the epidermis tend to confluence.
                                                              (Joining running together, denoting certain skin lesions that become merged, 
                                                              forming a patch, denoting a disease characterized by lesions that are not discrete
                                                              or distinct from the other.)                                                                                                               
                                                              Nests of melanocytes vary markedly in size and shape,  Individual melanocytes                                                
                                                              demonstrate enlarged nuclei and pleomorphism.  (Characterized by having more 
                                                              than one shape or form.)

Gross.                                        :     Received in formalin is a 0.5 x 0.5 x 1mm dark brown shave biopsy of skin.

Next is the pathology report after the Wide Level Excision, which was done with standard margins.

Diagnosis    :     Malignant Melanoma In Situ, Margins Free (Margins free of cancer are considered clean, clear or
                                negative, which is the goal of the surgery.). 
      Comment    :     This melanoma has been completely excised. There is no evidence of a residual invasive component.
      Site.             :     Right Anterior Shoulder
      Microscopic :     Atypical melanocytes are present throughout all levels of the epidermis. In the dermis there is solar  
                                elastosis, which is an accumulation of abnormal elastin (elastic tissue) in the dermis of the skin, along
                                with thickened collagen bundles oriented parallel to the epidermis and small vessels oriented 
                                perpendicular to the epidermis.
      Gross.         :     Received in formalin is a 2.5 x 2.2 x 0.9 cm tan, pink and black oriented skin ellipse.

My conclusion from the above is the only melanoma they saw in the removed tissue was the transected portion of the peripheral margin, which is part of the epidermis.  No melanoma found in the dermis, therefore melanoma in situ instead of malignant melanoma.  Only melanoma found in the dermis was that in the originally excised skin tissue.

Comments?

This happened three years ago.  Should I seek a second opinion?

Note that I added definitions after pathology terms of art, so I could interpret their meaning with more clarity.

Susan

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics