The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Three in one chance, what to do

Forums General Melanoma Community Three in one chance, what to do

Participant

One year after beginning HD IL2 the PET/CT showed all soft tissue disease resolved (numerous tumors in the groin lymph nodes and many in liver ) and all bone mets resolved.  Only issue was L5 area in spine.  Followed up with MRI of lumbar spine and it did show mel as well as a soft tissue mass close by encroaching on a nerve. 

One year after beginning HD IL2 the PET/CT showed all soft tissue disease resolved (numerous tumors in the groin lymph nodes and many in liver ) and all bone mets resolved.  Only issue was L5 area in spine.  Followed up with MRI of lumbar spine and it did show mel as well as a soft tissue mass close by encroaching on a nerve. 

I developed severe neuropathy ( believed to be a side affect from the IL2 treatment) in January.  It got progressively worse as time went on to not only affecting both hands and feet but I had numbness everywhere including my lips/teeth/ears…etc.  I couldn't feel my feet or hands whatsoever.  Treated with high dose steriods and tapered off for 15 days.  This was in mid March.  You could draw a line from my lower back down to my ankle with severe pain (not tolerable) right before beginning treatment….which was the nerve.  The steriod treatment helped immensely but the pain is still there (tolerable)  as well as some numbness in that leg only at this point.  This treatment was from my neurologist after various tests and consult with my oncologist.    Now we know that particular pain/nerve/lower back pain is from the mel.  Both were going on at the same time.

Met with my onc. yesterday for follow-up after the MRI.  My choices were 1. watch and wait with MRI in 8wks to see if my immune system will resolve this issue since it took care of everything else.  2. Radiation.  One in three chance it will either relieve the pain, relieve the pain and resolve the tumor, or do nothing.  3. Surgery which would be abdominal due to the location and while not risky, not without much recovery and chance of damaging the nerve. 

Meh.  At this point I chose to watch and wait.  Other than the pain which is a little above annoying and is relieved with low dose pain meds I feel great and I am told I look great.  Dr. feels why take chances if what is going on may actually be healing. 

Am I crazy?  I agree with make your decision and don't look back but if anyone has anything they would like to say PLEASE do so.  Many times the thought process kicks into a higher gear with others thoughts.  Are we missing something? 

This is crazy long so if you read it, thank you.  If you reply, even bigger thanks!

Karin 

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        jim Breitfeller
        Participant

Karin, you may want to look into XL184 therapy.

Cabozantinib (XL184)

Cabozantinib, formerly known as XL184, is a potent dual inhibitor of the MET and VEGF pathways designed to block MET driven tumor escape. In multiple preclinical studies cabozantinib has been shown to kill tumor cells, reduce metastases, and inhibit angiogenesis (the formation of new blood vessels necessary to support tumor growth). 

To date, we have observed objective responses in 12 of 13 tumor types studied and observed activity against metastatic bone lesions in five tumor types, including prostate, renal, breast, thyroid, and melanoma .

http://www.exelixis.com/cabozantinib 

Best regards,

Jimmy B

Karin L
            Participant

Thank you Jimmy B.  (I don't think you have a clue how valuable you are here to so so so many of us.) 

I remember in the far back of my mind  reading that before….I checked out all the trials and I didn't find any, that I would be eligible for, recruiting.  I will mention this next visit : ). 

As far as radiation, is there any benefit to Proton therapy for mel?  I am lucky enough to live near a center that specializes in Proton therapy.   Anyone know?

Karin

Karin L
              Participant

Thank you Jimmy B.  (I don't think you have a clue how valuable you are here to so so so many of us.) 

I remember in the far back of my mind  reading that before….I checked out all the trials and I didn't find any, that I would be eligible for, recruiting.  I will mention this next visit : ). 

As far as radiation, is there any benefit to Proton therapy for mel?  I am lucky enough to live near a center that specializes in Proton therapy.   Anyone know?

Karin

Karin L
                Participant

Karin

jim Breitfeller
                Participant

Cabozantinib (XL184)

Cabozantinib, formerly known as XL184, is a potent dual inhibitor of the MET and VEGF pathways designed to block MET driven tumor escape. In multiple preclinical studies cabozantinib has been shown to kill tumor cells, reduce metastases, and inhibit angiogenesis (the formation of new blood vessels necessary to support tumor growth). 

To date, we have observed objective responses in 12 of 13 tumor types studied and observed activity against metastatic bone lesions in five tumor types, including prostate, renal, breast, thyroid, and melanoma .

Best regards,

Jimmy B

jim Breitfeller
                  Participant

Cabozantinib (XL184)

Best regards,

Jimmy B

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics