The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Thoughts on ctca ????

Forums General Melanoma Community Thoughts on ctca ????

Participant
      I am looking for thoughts?? Short version of my husbands journey. Diagnosis July 2015 , 3a . Originated on 4tg toe which was amputated. Lymph node disection 4 nodes positive 1mm or microscopic. Completed 4 infusions of yerovoy. Right after completing 4th dose , had 2 Mets in transit on thigh. So then ctca started mek/taf combo. He is still on mekinist and taflinar half dose since January. So far had 2mm and 5mm in lung , 5 mm gone in March 2mm still there June. Now last week’s scan 2mm still same and reading states likely scar. With this we are over joyed with relief. Dr. Still want to continue combo. My mind wonders if he was responder to yerovoy as I read many have Mets in transit. So I have to wonder did ctca give enough time and is combo over kill. OK, this is not short , but my mind is always on overdrive. Just looking for thoughts. Thanks everyone
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Andrew1725
        Participant

Sounds to me like a situation with a lot of gray areas, but I think that's a good thing.

So based on your description, it sounds like the doctor started your husband on Yervoy as an adjuvant treatment, meaning there was no evidence of disease when the treatment started and then the in-transit mets on the thigh popped up. As you said, hard to tell whether these mets popped up because of a reaction to Yervoy or because he wasn't responding to Yervoy. What I think this means is that Yervoy is still a possibility as a treatment down the road if you need it, because it's probably inconclusive whether it was working or not.

The fact that the Mek/Taf combo worked is great. Whether it was overkill or not is hard to know. Next step is hoping that he has a durable response to the Braf drugs. If not, I imagine the next step would be the PD-1 inhibitors (Keytruda or Opdivo). If it came to be that PD-1 drugs were not effective, I wouldn't rule out the use of Yervoy either in combination with a PD-1 inhibitor or on its own. If the doctors were resistant to that idea, I'd consider giving a second opinion and be sure to explain exactly what your husband's experience was with the drug. I don't think you can say that Yervoy was a failure with any certainty.

I wish you all the best and hopefully it's a durable response and you don't even have to consider these things.

stevecathy
            Participant
              Thank you for the response . I truly appreciate input. Blessings, cathy
              stevecathy
              Participant
                stevecathy
                Participant
                Andrew1725
                Participant

Sounds to me like a situation with a lot of gray areas, but I think that's a good thing.

So based on your description, it sounds like the doctor started your husband on Yervoy as an adjuvant treatment, meaning there was no evidence of disease when the treatment started and then the in-transit mets on the thigh popped up. As you said, hard to tell whether these mets popped up because of a reaction to Yervoy or because he wasn't responding to Yervoy. What I think this means is that Yervoy is still a possibility as a treatment down the road if you need it, because it's probably inconclusive whether it was working or not.

The fact that the Mek/Taf combo worked is great. Whether it was overkill or not is hard to know. Next step is hoping that he has a durable response to the Braf drugs. If not, I imagine the next step would be the PD-1 inhibitors (Keytruda or Opdivo). If it came to be that PD-1 drugs were not effective, I wouldn't rule out the use of Yervoy either in combination with a PD-1 inhibitor or on its own. If the doctors were resistant to that idea, I'd consider giving a second opinion and be sure to explain exactly what your husband's experience was with the drug. I don't think you can say that Yervoy was a failure with any certainty.

I wish you all the best and hopefully it's a durable response and you don't even have to consider these things.

Andrew1725
                  Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics