The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Third melanoma

Forums General Melanoma Community Third melanoma

Participant
      In August of 2009 I had my annual full-body skin check. My doctor chose to biopsy 4 moles as a precaution but told me I had nothing to worry about. The results were not expected as 1 was melanoma, 1 was pre-cancer, and 2 were severe atypia. Based on those, she did another biopsy which came back as melanoma insitu. I’ve since had over 50 biopsies with everyone coming back atypical. I just had my 6 month skin check and I pointed out 2 moles that concerned me. The doctor was not concerned but did biopsy one of them as a precaution. Needless to say it was melanoma insitu. So I’ve now had 3 melanomas in 6 years and I just turned 37. I have also been diagnosed with dysplastic nevi syndrome. I go back for my 3 month skin check in 2 weeks and I’m scared. I feel like there’s more I can or should be doing. I’m the only patient like me for my dermatologist. I love her and don’t want to leaver her practice, but I wonder if I should see someone else in addition as none of my moles looked like melanoma and the doctor was surprised by the pathology results. I live about 50 miles from Baltimore and Washington DC. I plan to discuss this with my doctor, but would appreciate feedback and suggestions on doctors as well as how to proceed prior to seeing her.

Thank you in advance,
      Sara

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bobman
        Participant

Hi Sara,

I also have DNS,and can relate to your experience .  I have had 9 primaries  to date ,and not one of them looked like the classic  pictures  of melanoma  either. Out of the 9, 7 were found by me. I have learned to push for biopsies on what I feel  to be changing , or new lesions , even when whoever  is looking  at it thinks it's nothing  to worry  about .  After nine wide excisions  I   have a pretty  good idea of what is "normal  " for me.  None of my practitioners  have seen anything  like I am producing  either.

I have had to change dermatologist  before , as one wouldn't  remove  what I wanted off,and that's fine. If they won't  work with you,find someone  who will. It sounds like you have that in place though. I actually  get more biopsies  done these days from my nurse practitioner , who knows me well. When I call her and say I need a biopsy , or two, it's done within a few days , and if need be I'm on the surgeons  table a few days  after that. So having someone  who knows  you,and will listen to you is crucial  on this road. I still go to a dermatologist every few months , but in between  visits  with new lesions  coming up,I'm quick to get to my NP.  Also   the nearest  dermatologist  that accepts  my insurance  is on a different  island , so it's not very convenient  to fly over for to Oahu for a biopsy  when I can get that where I live.

Aloha , 

Bob

Bobman
          Participant

Hi Sara,

I also have DNS,and can relate to your experience .  I have had 9 primaries  to date ,and not one of them looked like the classic  pictures  of melanoma  either. Out of the 9, 7 were found by me. I have learned to push for biopsies on what I feel  to be changing , or new lesions , even when whoever  is looking  at it thinks it's nothing  to worry  about .  After nine wide excisions  I   have a pretty  good idea of what is "normal  " for me.  None of my practitioners  have seen anything  like I am producing  either.

I have had to change dermatologist  before , as one wouldn't  remove  what I wanted off,and that's fine. If they won't  work with you,find someone  who will. It sounds like you have that in place though. I actually  get more biopsies  done these days from my nurse practitioner , who knows me well. When I call her and say I need a biopsy , or two, it's done within a few days , and if need be I'm on the surgeons  table a few days  after that. So having someone  who knows  you,and will listen to you is crucial  on this road. I still go to a dermatologist every few months , but in between  visits  with new lesions  coming up,I'm quick to get to my NP.  Also   the nearest  dermatologist  that accepts  my insurance  is on a different  island , so it's not very convenient  to fly over for to Oahu for a biopsy  when I can get that where I live.

Aloha , 

Bob

Bobman
            Participant

Hi Sara,

Aloha , 

Bob

Bobman
              Participant

P.S.

My surgeon  gave me some good advice  about the DNS…."surveillance , surveillance , surveillance . ….and biopsy  anything  that even thinks of changing!" It's what I live by these days .  Even with hundreds  of  spots to monitor , some just grab your  attention . ..and those gotta go. 

Sounds to me like you are doing just that. Stay vigilant ! 

Bob

Bobman
                Participant

P.S.

My surgeon  gave me some good advice  about the DNS…."surveillance , surveillance , surveillance . ….and biopsy  anything  that even thinks of changing!" It's what I live by these days .  Even with hundreds  of  spots to monitor , some just grab your  attention . ..and those gotta go. 

Bob

Bobman
                  Participant

P.S.

Bob

stars
                    Participant

Hi – I only count two melanomas, both in situ – 'pre cancer' means nothing, it's either in situ melanoma or it's not. Anyway, you are not alone – plenty of MRF MPIPers have had more than one thin melanoma – Janner for one, myself for another. Both of your melanomas have been in situ with NO repeat NO metastatic potential. This is great news! Best option: no melanoma. Second best: in situ. Be positive!

Your action plan, gold standard:

regular skin checks – done!

watch for change – done!

watch your mind for unhelpful thinking/consider counselling for anxiety – not done – maybe something for you to consider.

You could at a certain point request genetic testing to see if you have some high probability of continually developing melanoma – but if you can explain your melanoma through childhood sun exposure (which I can), then why bother? Janner has had this testing and (I hope I'm not wrong) she is not a huge advocate for it because it doesn't really change the game plan at all.

You really are on top of this situation. It's not an ideal situation but it's the cross we bear. For peace of mind, go get a second opinion/2nd full skin check – this will give you EITHER peace of mind OR a conclusive idea about the need to change to another doctor/derm.

stars
                      Participant

Hi – I only count two melanomas, both in situ – 'pre cancer' means nothing, it's either in situ melanoma or it's not. Anyway, you are not alone – plenty of MRF MPIPers have had more than one thin melanoma – Janner for one, myself for another. Both of your melanomas have been in situ with NO repeat NO metastatic potential. This is great news! Best option: no melanoma. Second best: in situ. Be positive!

watch for change – done!

watch your mind for unhelpful thinking/consider counselling for anxiety – not done – maybe something for you to consider.

You could at a certain point request genetic testing to see if you have some high probability of continually developing melanoma – but if you can explain your melanoma through childhood sun exposure (which I can), then why bother? Janner has had this testing and (I hope I'm not wrong) she is not a huge advocate for it because it doesn't really change the game plan at all.

You really are on top of this situation. It's not an ideal situation but it's the cross we bear. For peace of mind, go get a second opinion/2nd full skin check – this will give you EITHER peace of mind OR a conclusive idea about the need to change to another doctor/derm.

stars
                        Participant

watch for change – done!

Everymoment
                          Participant
                            It took me a long time to change dermatologist. I had this weird loyalty because I don’t want to disappoint. Well, I got over that after going through some tough times!!!! Now I have an awesome dermatologist who is one step ahead. Keep changing until you find that dermatologist!
                            Everymoment
                            Participant
                              It took me a long time to change dermatologist. I had this weird loyalty because I don’t want to disappoint. Well, I got over that after going through some tough times!!!! Now I have an awesome dermatologist who is one step ahead. Keep changing until you find that dermatologist!
                              Everymoment
                              Participant
                            Viewing 11 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics