The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Thinking outside the Box for the Elderly Melanoma Cancer Patients

Forums General Melanoma Community Thinking outside the Box for the Elderly Melanoma Cancer Patients

Participant

http://www.ktvn.com/story/17634621/immunotherapy-and-cancer#.T5RSQQh4p9E.blogger   Immunotherapy and Cancer – KTVN Channel 2 – Reno Tahoe News Weather, Video

New rules of engagement for older patients

The body’s immune system does weaken with age, but it also changes, and that changes the rules for fighting disease within the body.

http://www.ktvn.com/story/17634621/immunotherapy-and-cancer#.T5RSQQh4p9E.blogger   Immunotherapy and Cancer – KTVN Channel 2 – Reno Tahoe News Weather, Video

New rules of engagement for older patients

The body’s immune system does weaken with age, but it also changes, and that changes the rules for fighting disease within the body.

Dr. Curiel’s group started by examining an immune therapy that they previously had shown to work in younger hosts, including cancer patients. It’s designed to eliminate regulatory T cells (called Tregs), which are cells that turn off immune responses, allowing cancer to progress. Tregs increase in cancer. In young hosts, the drug turns off Treg activity, allowing the immune system to function better. In older hosts, even though the drug turns off the Tregs, it has no clinical benefit.

Dr. Curiel asked the question why, and in this paper his team explains the answer. In older mice, when the drug turned off the Tregs, the researchers found that another type of immune suppressor cell (a myeloid-derived suppressor cell or MDSC) exploded in number to take the Tregs’ place, hampering clinical efficacy. That did not happen in young mice.

The team added a second drug that targets the MDSC, and found that with those tools to help immunity, the older hosts can combat cancer just as well as the younger hosts. Adding the second drug afforded no clinical benefit to young hosts, as their MDSC numbers had not increased.

“We’ve shown that an aged immune system can combat cancer just as well as a young one if you remove the impediments to successful immunity, which are different than those in younger hosts,” Dr. Curiel said. “We’ve shown that if you test all your immune therapy just in young mice and young people, you’ll never learn how it works in older patients — the ones most at risk for cancer. You might conclude that drugs don’t work in aged hosts, when they do. But they have to be combined with some help.”

Human trials on the horizon
      The next step is to test these concepts in an immune therapy clinical trial for elderly patients, which the research team plans to do, Dr. Curiel said.The drug that is added is anti–Gr-1 antibody and would have to get approval from the FDA, meaning Clinical Trials.

With that said, What if we added 5-Fluorouracil to immunotherapy like Yervoy and or Anti-PD1.

5-Fluorouracil selectively kills Tumor-Associated Myeloid-Derived Suppressor Cells Resulting in Enhanced T Cell–Dependent Antitumor Immunity.

This would be the one, two punch for elderly cancer patients. Let's Think Outside the Box.

Myeloid-derived suppressor cells (MDSC) have been identified as a population of immature myeloid cells with the ability to suppress T-cell activation in humans and mice. These cells accumulate in the blood, lymph nodes, bone marrow, and at tumor sites in many human cancers and animal tumor models, and inhibit both adaptive and innate immunity. They notably have the capacity to inhibit CD8+ T cell antigen-specific reactivity by different mechanisms, mainly through their capacities to produce nitric oxide and radical oxygen species.

Best Regards,

Jimmy B

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        cltml
        Participant
          Jimmy,

Thanks for posting. The video at the link that you provided mentions that they are seeking test subjects at age 55 which must be the cutoff for being “old”. whatever happened to 60 is the new 50? Anyway, I’m 53 and am wondering if I may be on the cusp of having high MDSC.

How do I find this out? Is there a particular blood screening I need in order to get MDSC count? I’ve not seen it on my normal labs.

Thanks. cltml

cltml
          Participant
            Jimmy,

Thanks for posting. The video at the link that you provided mentions that they are seeking test subjects at age 55 which must be the cutoff for being “old”. whatever happened to 60 is the new 50? Anyway, I’m 53 and am wondering if I may be on the cusp of having high MDSC.

How do I find this out? Is there a particular blood screening I need in order to get MDSC count? I’ve not seen it on my normal labs.

Thanks. cltml

cltml
            Participant
              Jimmy,

Thanks. cltml

triciad
              Participant

Jimmy,

Great article…thanks for sharing.  It's amazing how these scientists/doctors figure these things out…God Bless Them!!!!  It makes me wonder about the age cutoff/  Perhaps, some younger patients could have and "older immune system" and should look at those MDSC numbers, as well.

Have a great day!

Tricia

triciad
                Participant

Jimmy,

Great article…thanks for sharing.  It's amazing how these scientists/doctors figure these things out…God Bless Them!!!!  It makes me wonder about the age cutoff/  Perhaps, some younger patients could have and "older immune system" and should look at those MDSC numbers, as well.

Have a great day!

Tricia

triciad
                  Participant

Jimmy,

Have a great day!

Tricia

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics