The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Thinking…. Oh my!!

Forums General Melanoma Community Thinking…. Oh my!!

Participant

Hi guys,

I wanted some opinions on what direction we should take next as far as treatments go for my husband. Here is a little background…. My husband has bone mets on just about every vertebra ( two are broken L1 and L5) sacrum, ribs, femur and on skull, three mets on lung ALSO has very small dark area on liver and kidney.  Last Nov and Dec did 2 weeks of IL2 (failed) then on to Braf Combo drug for about 5 months (failed) started IPI in Sept and just completed that (while on this LDH has DOUBLED 🙁 ….. We are thinking PD1 would be the best bet for him but is there anything else?? ANY ADVICE IS WELCOME!! THANKS!!

EMILY

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        arthurjedi007
        Participant

Coming off zelboraf last november and doing ipi I experienced rapid tumor growth especially in my left scapula tumor. Hopefully your husband didn't and it is only his LDH. That is why they said ipi failed just by seeing the scan 2 weeks after the 4th dose. I then did the taf/mek combo which was the first med that worked some. After 8 or so weeks most everything stayed the same except again that left scapula plus some new stuff showed up. Between that and the time I finally got to start pd1 in May I could visibly see the stuff in my collar bulge up. Same with the left scapula.

So what I'm trying to say is it is really hard to say which medicine is going to work. Despite my local doc's blunder with my latest scan report keytruda (merck's pd1) seems to have been the best for me. After 9 doses it is down to "only mild growth" and no new stuff. In my opinion that is fantastic .

So keytruda could do your husband good. There is also antibody drug conjugates at Sarah Cannon in Nashville. Also PDL is going on at places. There is Dr Rosenberg's tumor infiltrating lymphocytes (til) but from what I hear from Catherine Poole it is very toxic, requires someone in really good physical condition, is unproven. Then if you can there is also Bristol Myers phase 1 trials combining their PD1 (nivolumab) with various things like anti-kir and anti-lag-3 and maybe other things. Those other immunotherapies they are trying can be found out at their big 5 (university chicago, john hopkins in baltimore maryland, dana farber in boston, msk in ny, providence in portland oregon). One interesting thing is it seems like the anti-lag trial is primarily for those who progress on pd1 alone. I was supposed to go to Chicago yesterday but with my leg and hip not letting me walk I couldn't make it.

Artie

arthurjedi007
          Participant

Coming off zelboraf last november and doing ipi I experienced rapid tumor growth especially in my left scapula tumor. Hopefully your husband didn't and it is only his LDH. That is why they said ipi failed just by seeing the scan 2 weeks after the 4th dose. I then did the taf/mek combo which was the first med that worked some. After 8 or so weeks most everything stayed the same except again that left scapula plus some new stuff showed up. Between that and the time I finally got to start pd1 in May I could visibly see the stuff in my collar bulge up. Same with the left scapula.

So what I'm trying to say is it is really hard to say which medicine is going to work. Despite my local doc's blunder with my latest scan report keytruda (merck's pd1) seems to have been the best for me. After 9 doses it is down to "only mild growth" and no new stuff. In my opinion that is fantastic .

So keytruda could do your husband good. There is also antibody drug conjugates at Sarah Cannon in Nashville. Also PDL is going on at places. There is Dr Rosenberg's tumor infiltrating lymphocytes (til) but from what I hear from Catherine Poole it is very toxic, requires someone in really good physical condition, is unproven. Then if you can there is also Bristol Myers phase 1 trials combining their PD1 (nivolumab) with various things like anti-kir and anti-lag-3 and maybe other things. Those other immunotherapies they are trying can be found out at their big 5 (university chicago, john hopkins in baltimore maryland, dana farber in boston, msk in ny, providence in portland oregon). One interesting thing is it seems like the anti-lag trial is primarily for those who progress on pd1 alone. I was supposed to go to Chicago yesterday but with my leg and hip not letting me walk I couldn't make it.

Artie

arthurjedi007
            Participant

Artie

RJoeyB
              Participant

Emily,

Artie lists some good options.  You can see my treatment history in my profile, but high-level, I've done IL-2, TIL, and ipi, in addition to multiple surgeries and rounds of radiation.  To add my two cents…  based on the treatments your husband has done, I think anti-PD-1 would be far and away the best next step if needed, especially now that he's done both BRAF and ipi.  Whether it's using Merck's now approved Keytruda or using it (or BMS' nivolumab/Opdivo) in a trial setting in combination with another agent, PD-1 should be part of it.  I did read that the ADC trial at Sarah Cannon is closed and there aren't plans to reopened it or start any new trials — it's only listed as "active" for the patients who are already enrolled.  As far as TIL, yes, it can be far more toxic than the newer approved therapies, PD-1, ipi, BRAF/MEK, but to be clear, most of that toxicity is from the IL-2 portion of the treatment protocol, and your husband has already gone through IL-2, so you can assess how toxic it was for him.  The three primary locations with active TIL trials are NIH/NCI in Bethesda, Moffitt in Tampa, and MD Anderson in Houston.  But given the options today, again I would think PD-1 in some form is the likely next step.

Best, Joe

RJoeyB
                  Participant

Oh, I also meant to ask, when are his next scans?  Don't necessarily assume that he's failed ipi yet, based on LDH numbers alone — sometimes a response can cause LDH to rise, too, as tumors are destroyed and the body "takes out the trash".

eturner
                    Participant

Thanks guys for responding :)… next set of scans is on Dec. 10th…. I'm so nervous!! I just hate Melanoma and it seems so nasty once its in the bone:(

Emily 

rick1981
                      Participant

How did it go? Wish you well !!

rick1981
                        Participant

rick1981
                          Participant

eturner
                            Participant

Thanks guys for responding :)… next set of scans is on Dec. 10th…. I'm so nervous!! I just hate Melanoma and it seems so nasty once its in the bone:(

Emily 

eturner
                              Participant

Emily 

RJoeyB
                                Participant

Oh, I also meant to ask, when are his next scans?  Don't necessarily assume that he's failed ipi yet, based on LDH numbers alone — sometimes a response can cause LDH to rise, too, as tumors are destroyed and the body "takes out the trash".

RJoeyB
                                  Participant

RJoeyB
                                  Participant

Emily,

Artie lists some good options.  You can see my treatment history in my profile, but high-level, I've done IL-2, TIL, and ipi, in addition to multiple surgeries and rounds of radiation.  To add my two cents…  based on the treatments your husband has done, I think anti-PD-1 would be far and away the best next step if needed, especially now that he's done both BRAF and ipi.  Whether it's using Merck's now approved Keytruda or using it (or BMS' nivolumab/Opdivo) in a trial setting in combination with another agent, PD-1 should be part of it.  I did read that the ADC trial at Sarah Cannon is closed and there aren't plans to reopened it or start any new trials — it's only listed as "active" for the patients who are already enrolled.  As far as TIL, yes, it can be far more toxic than the newer approved therapies, PD-1, ipi, BRAF/MEK, but to be clear, most of that toxicity is from the IL-2 portion of the treatment protocol, and your husband has already gone through IL-2, so you can assess how toxic it was for him.  The three primary locations with active TIL trials are NIH/NCI in Bethesda, Moffitt in Tampa, and MD Anderson in Houston.  But given the options today, again I would think PD-1 in some form is the likely next step.

Best, Joe

RJoeyB
                                    Participant

Emily,

Best, Joe

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics