The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Thin melanoma with mitosis

Forums General Melanoma Community Thin melanoma with mitosis

Participant

I had a .6 melanoma removed and all secondary features were good except that i had 2mitosis per square.  Wle performed and no residual melanoma.  My doc says i have a good prognosis is this true.  They did not do a snlb because he said mels under .75 regardless of secondary features,  have a very high survival chance. I am a little confused and dont know what i should do if there is anything i can do.  

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Chendo82
        Participant

I understand your confusion. Mine was .48 and they will not do a snlb. I was told the same thing. I always worry that they will miss something that could be caught early. 

btcedarr
            Participant

Mine was .57mm, but since my mitosis was 3, they did a SLNB. 

Chendo82
              Participant

My mitosis was 1 

Chendo82
                Participant

My mitosis was 1 

Chendo82
                  Participant

My mitosis was 1 

btcedarr
                    Participant

btcedarr
                      Participant

Chendo82
                      Participant

I understand your confusion. Mine was .48 and they will not do a snlb. I was told the same thing. I always worry that they will miss something that could be caught early. 

Chendo82
                        Participant

Janner
                          Participant

At this point, there is nothing you can do.  SNB cannot be done after the WLE and as was stated, .6mm is not typically a candidate.

Yes, your prognosis is good.  I had a .58mm with 1 mitosis 24 years ago – still here, still stage 1.  All you can do is be aware.  Watch for change.  Then live life.  There is nothing more to be done now except move on.  If you obsess about melanoma, it wins whether or not it ever comes back.  So do the normal things – sun safety, regular derm visits and self monitoring.  Then move on!

Janner
                            Participant

At this point, there is nothing you can do.  SNB cannot be done after the WLE and as was stated, .6mm is not typically a candidate.

Yes, your prognosis is good.  I had a .58mm with 1 mitosis 24 years ago – still here, still stage 1.  All you can do is be aware.  Watch for change.  Then live life.  There is nothing more to be done now except move on.  If you obsess about melanoma, it wins whether or not it ever comes back.  So do the normal things – sun safety, regular derm visits and self monitoring.  Then move on!

Janner
                              Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics