The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

The right questions

Forums General Melanoma Community The right questions

Participant
      Hello to you all and wish you a healthy, better New Year.

After a long battle with melanoma, my husband became NED and stopped taking Keytruda last November. On Monday, he is going to have his first appointment with his doctor after the completion of his therapy in order to discuss what is going to follow. It’s hard to find his oncologist on the phone,so I think he should leave this meeting with all the necessary information he needs. What would really be the right questions in this case?

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        tkoss
        Participant
          3c.

i finished 24x Opvido in december.

NED

i share your issue about getting info from docs. fortunately i have a patient portal where i can put questions to provider as they arise.

the most important question: how long will i live? To which Onc said SR stats unreliable because of limited history of immo therapy.

was advised to get covid vaccine, which i did . no problems.

but that’s really all the questions i had.

scan in 2 weeks should tell the tale.

Rosiepup
          Participant
            Oh I soo wish I was at the point of potentially NED! 🤞🙏 Great news for you! For me, the main question I would have is, will I still have close follow up including scans, blood tests, etc, for at least a year? Hopefully longer?  And any possible symptoms of relapse, will I be automatically able to contact and get a review?

Although this is probably because, despite my best efforts, I’ve become a ‘glass half empty’ person about myself!

tkoss
            Participant
              not to play doctor rosie, but,,,,

they did lay out a schedule for the next year…CT scans every 3 months…….along with the occasional consult. that’s about it.

of course as long as i remain NED. if not, i will have about 18 pages of questions for this forum.

in fact i am posting a new one right now.

space oddity
              Participant
                Thank you for your responses. Indeed, the discussion went around the limited history of immunotherapy, getting vaccined and tests every three months. Fingers crossed!
            Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics