The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

The Oupost

Forums General Melanoma Community The Oupost

Participant

Written by Jake Tapper, an ABC News journalist imbedded with troops in Afganistan, it is a gripping account of a failed , dubious and callous strategy of locating small groups of American soldiers in extremely remote and isolated bases called FOB's or Foreward Operating Bases located deep in the mountains on the borders of Afganistan/Pakistan. These bases could only be supported by helicopter and the troops were exposed to daily fire from surrounding peaks.

Written by Jake Tapper, an ABC News journalist imbedded with troops in Afganistan, it is a gripping account of a failed , dubious and callous strategy of locating small groups of American soldiers in extremely remote and isolated bases called FOB's or Foreward Operating Bases located deep in the mountains on the borders of Afganistan/Pakistan. These bases could only be supported by helicopter and the troops were exposed to daily fire from surrounding peaks. Rockets, mortors and machine gun fire were almost a daily event.  You may have seen a young Sgt named Clinton Romesha receive the Congressional Medal of Honor a few days ago. He rallied the remaining survivors in a last ditch counter attack as the base was being over run. Its a gripping story of an indifferent high command needlessly exposing brave young men in an impossible location.

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        BillMFl
        Participant

The Outpost. The Outpost. The Oupost.  Why can't I spell?

BillMFl
          Participant

BillMFl
            Participant

Carole K
              Participant

No Comment on your post. I just wanted to say hello. It has been a very long time  I hope you and Pat are well.  How long ago was it we were all in Orlando?  Wow,  Lots has changed since then,  I am now a gramdma and love, love love it. Two boys 4 1/2 and 17 montha and a little princess who just turned one.  I also tore my old house down and rebuilt a small two story one,  Health is good,  12 yrs. NED> 

Sending you and Pat big hugs

Love and Light

Carole K

BillMFl
                  Participant

Hello back Carole. Thanks for the hello. It sure has been a long time. Pat and I are well. You always did such a good job pulling people together.  I am a greatgrandfather twice over. Always wanted to be great at something, haha. Those sweet little ones carry us into the future. 

BillMFl
                    Participant

Hello back Carole. Thanks for the hello. It sure has been a long time. Pat and I are well. You always did such a good job pulling people together.  I am a greatgrandfather twice over. Always wanted to be great at something, haha. Those sweet little ones carry us into the future. 

BillMFl
                      Participant

Carole K
                      Participant

No Comment on your post. I just wanted to say hello. It has been a very long time  I hope you and Pat are well.  How long ago was it we were all in Orlando?  Wow,  Lots has changed since then,  I am now a gramdma and love, love love it. Two boys 4 1/2 and 17 montha and a little princess who just turned one.  I also tore my old house down and rebuilt a small two story one,  Health is good,  12 yrs. NED> 

Love and Light

Carole K

Carole K
                        Participant

Love and Light

Carole K

JerryfromFauq
                          Participant

Even the American Natives knew that taking the high ground was by far the best starting point.  Why doesn't the current American Military know that?  That was my thought when I first heard the report of the stupid location chosen.

JerryfromFauq
                            Participant

Even the American Natives knew that taking the high ground was by far the best starting point.  Why doesn't the current American Military know that?  That was my thought when I first heard the report of the stupid location chosen.

JerryfromFauq
                              Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics