The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

The Ketogenic Diet and the sugar/carbs->insulin secretion->tumor growth connection explained beautifully by Dr. Eugene Fine, MD

Forums General Melanoma Community The Ketogenic Diet and the sugar/carbs->insulin secretion->tumor growth connection explained beautifully by Dr. Eugene Fine, MD

Participant

A 42 minute audio piece (there is a 1 1/2 minute commercial at about the 18 1/2 minute mark so just fast forward or be patient!) with Dr. Eugene Fine, MD (Albert Einstein, Montefiore Med Ctr) from NYC, who talks about the ketogenic diet for cancer patients, explaining what it is all about, and the results of his RECHARGE trial in which 6 of 10 cancer patients (none with melanoma) had stable disease (5) or a partial regression (1) that everyone should at least listen to and possibly talk to their oncologist about :

A 42 minute audio piece (there is a 1 1/2 minute commercial at about the 18 1/2 minute mark so just fast forward or be patient!) with Dr. Eugene Fine, MD (Albert Einstein, Montefiore Med Ctr) from NYC, who talks about the ketogenic diet for cancer patients, explaining what it is all about, and the results of his RECHARGE trial in which 6 of 10 cancer patients (none with melanoma) had stable disease (5) or a partial regression (1) that everyone should at least listen to and possibly talk to their oncologist about :

http://www.thelivinlowcarbshow.com/shownotes/6898/628-dr-eugene-fine-uses-ketogenic-diet-in-recharge-cancer-trial/

Dr. Fine's profile at Albert Einstein College of Medicine

http://www.einstein.yu.edu/faculty/2013/eugene-fine/

A ketogenic diet trial going on right now that is taking melanoma patients:

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01716468

I'm sure that everyone (including myself) would love to take a pill and be cured of melanoma and all ailments, but if the answer can be conventional treatment along with "other" methods, then so be it!!!

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Swanee
        Participant

Hi Jake,

Thanks for your post, something for all of us to consider and think about!   I have read many success stories n the "Patient Stories" of those who chose surgery and then naturopathic lifestyles and who experienced remissions for long periods of time.  This is a strange cancer and I am beginning to believe it is mostly an  auto-immune disorder in the highest degree!  All the information that we all post is invaluable to all of us seeking information and answers in our search for a cure.  

Wishing all an NED status in the near future!

Swanee

Swanee
          Participant

Hi Jake,

Thanks for your post, something for all of us to consider and think about!   I have read many success stories n the "Patient Stories" of those who chose surgery and then naturopathic lifestyles and who experienced remissions for long periods of time.  This is a strange cancer and I am beginning to believe it is mostly an  auto-immune disorder in the highest degree!  All the information that we all post is invaluable to all of us seeking information and answers in our search for a cure.  

Swanee

JakeinNY
              Participant

Thanks Swanee.

Yep, I'm just trying to help, and if I help just one person on here, that would be great!!!

JakeinNY
                Participant

Thanks Swanee.

Yep, I'm just trying to help, and if I help just one person on here, that would be great!!!

JakeinNY
                  Participant

Thanks Swanee.

Swanee
                  Participant

Hi Jake,

Swanee

JC
                    Participant

no fruit?  that seems odd, i thought fruit is a healthy thing to eat

JakeinNY
                        Participant

Fruit is generally a healthy thing to eat, but it's not something you want to eat if you want to follow a ketogenic diet and hopefully get the benefits of a ketogenic diet, which is also used for epilepsy (also for autism???).

JakeinNY
                          Participant

Fruit is generally a healthy thing to eat, but it's not something you want to eat if you want to follow a ketogenic diet and hopefully get the benefits of a ketogenic diet, which is also used for epilepsy (also for autism???).

JakeinNY
                            Participant

JC
                            Participant

JC
                              Participant

JC
                                Participant

very high fat diet?  I've only ever heard low-fat diet recommended for good health (certainly for heart health)

none of the 10 cases were melanoma, I wonder how that tumor type would have responded

only 1 person had partial remission? 

interesting the part about diet in conjunction with drug therapy/chemotherapy, etc. . diet synergizing with other therapies to be able to reduce the dose of medications/reduce toxicities

I would be really interested to see results of larger trials, this was such a small sample size

JC
                                  Participant

very high fat diet?  I've only ever heard low-fat diet recommended for good health (certainly for heart health)

none of the 10 cases were melanoma, I wonder how that tumor type would have responded

interesting the part about diet in conjunction with drug therapy/chemotherapy, etc. . diet synergizing with other therapies to be able to reduce the dose of medications/reduce toxicities

I would be really interested to see results of larger trials, this was such a small sample size

JC
                                    Participant

JakeinNY
                                        Participant

A low carb diet with some protein and a great deal of HEALTHY fats (there are many sources of healthy fats out there).

I mentioned in the original post that none of the patients in the RECHARGE study were melanoma patients but the MD did say that they recruited patients whose cancer "showed up" on PET scans, like melanoma does, so I doubt that they excluded melanoma patients, it's probably just that they reached a comfortable sample size without involving melanoma patients. I also mentioned that there is another ongoing trial that is recruiting many types of cancer patients, including melanoma patients. I provided that link at the end of my post.

Of the 10 patients enrolled, 4 of them had their cancer worsen, 5 had no change in their cancer, and 1 had the partial regression.

Let's hope the other trials involving this ketogenic diet show promise and that larger and larger trials are done.

To date, the most impressive case involves a pediatric patient with a form of brain cancer that was alive and well 10 years after starting the diet. The original paper for that case was done by Nebeling, et al.

JakeinNY
                                          Participant

A low carb diet with some protein and a great deal of HEALTHY fats (there are many sources of healthy fats out there).

I mentioned in the original post that none of the patients in the RECHARGE study were melanoma patients but the MD did say that they recruited patients whose cancer "showed up" on PET scans, like melanoma does, so I doubt that they excluded melanoma patients, it's probably just that they reached a comfortable sample size without involving melanoma patients. I also mentioned that there is another ongoing trial that is recruiting many types of cancer patients, including melanoma patients. I provided that link at the end of my post.

Of the 10 patients enrolled, 4 of them had their cancer worsen, 5 had no change in their cancer, and 1 had the partial regression.

Let's hope the other trials involving this ketogenic diet show promise and that larger and larger trials are done.

To date, the most impressive case involves a pediatric patient with a form of brain cancer that was alive and well 10 years after starting the diet. The original paper for that case was done by Nebeling, et al.

JakeinNY
                                            Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics