The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

The Gerson approach

Forums General Melanoma Community The Gerson approach

Participant

I went to a talk here in Calgary, a few weeks ago, in which the Gerson approach to health and curing cancer was promoted. SInce then , I have found a number of other clinics in Europe, Mexico and North America (eg. the Hippocrates Health Institute in Florida) which practice similar "treatments" – usually lots of natural juice, strict diets, and enemas aimed at purging the body of toxins and cancer cells (or starving the cancer cells).

I went to a talk here in Calgary, a few weeks ago, in which the Gerson approach to health and curing cancer was promoted. SInce then , I have found a number of other clinics in Europe, Mexico and North America (eg. the Hippocrates Health Institute in Florida) which practice similar "treatments" – usually lots of natural juice, strict diets, and enemas aimed at purging the body of toxins and cancer cells (or starving the cancer cells).

The Gerson Institute, in particular,  makes some specific claims about improving the prognosis of those with Melanoma. However, there are a number of rebuttals of their claims on the Internet from the established medical profession , including teh American Cancer Society.  These note that none of the Gerson claims have been proven by peer reveiw or experiment.

No doubt these clinics charge an arm and a leg for treatment, with questionable results (though a fresh juice diet can't hurt).

I wonder if the board members have any personal experience with these clinics, because drinking a glass of fresh juice every hour sure sounds  preferable to  engaging in "chemical warfare" and surgery that the cancer hospitals of the world promote?

Springbok

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        ChristineL
        Participant

From my research, it seems that this therapy is questionable at best, and may be harmful or deadly.  Several patients have died from lack of sodium and from the coffee enemas, and since nuts, meat, and most beans are not allowed, it seems that getting protein could be a challenge (http://www.gerson.org/pdfs/Foods_For_The_Gerson_Diet.pdf).  It also prohibits drinking water!!!!

I am all for avoiding toxins and going the "natural" route, but this appear to be flirting with danger, and is listed on Quackwatch.com. 

Food for thought (pun intended!).

ChristineL
          Participant

From my research, it seems that this therapy is questionable at best, and may be harmful or deadly.  Several patients have died from lack of sodium and from the coffee enemas, and since nuts, meat, and most beans are not allowed, it seems that getting protein could be a challenge (http://www.gerson.org/pdfs/Foods_For_The_Gerson_Diet.pdf).  It also prohibits drinking water!!!!

I am all for avoiding toxins and going the "natural" route, but this appear to be flirting with danger, and is listed on Quackwatch.com. 

Food for thought (pun intended!).

dian in spokane
            Participant

The Gerson approach has been discussed on this board for many years. It's been around a long time, and that should be a sign of something right there. If something has been around for a long time and is WORKING..then it's talked about constantly. If the Gerson approach actually worked, the folks on this board would be shouting it from the hilltops. Even if regular medical folks poo pooed it, we'd still be hearing about it here.

Because this board is full of patients, and what we ALL want is to see something that works against melanoma. Even if it only works for a tiny group of people it is talked about here.

I'm betting you can search the archives for discussion on Gerson. Check Essiac Tea too..

There's nothing wrong with drinking juice, or trying any number of alternative treatments..unless of course, they lead the patient away from a more traditional treatment that might save their life! Most oncologists would agree that adding a complementary or supplementary treatment is ok..it's eschewing traditiona treatments in favor of unproven treatments that is a problem.

In general though.. if it's on QUACKWATCH..there's a reason…

dian in spokane
              Participant

The Gerson approach has been discussed on this board for many years. It's been around a long time, and that should be a sign of something right there. If something has been around for a long time and is WORKING..then it's talked about constantly. If the Gerson approach actually worked, the folks on this board would be shouting it from the hilltops. Even if regular medical folks poo pooed it, we'd still be hearing about it here.

Because this board is full of patients, and what we ALL want is to see something that works against melanoma. Even if it only works for a tiny group of people it is talked about here.

I'm betting you can search the archives for discussion on Gerson. Check Essiac Tea too..

There's nothing wrong with drinking juice, or trying any number of alternative treatments..unless of course, they lead the patient away from a more traditional treatment that might save their life! Most oncologists would agree that adding a complementary or supplementary treatment is ok..it's eschewing traditiona treatments in favor of unproven treatments that is a problem.

In general though.. if it's on QUACKWATCH..there's a reason…

Lori C
                Participant

I talked to a lot of doctors about melanoma treatment when I was getting pretty desperate looking for alternatives and options for Will.  I ran across this and could not find a single trusted physician that I knew who thought it was going to do any good at all, and might do some significant harm.  And that includes several who are quite holistic in their approach.

Lori C
                  Participant

I talked to a lot of doctors about melanoma treatment when I was getting pretty desperate looking for alternatives and options for Will.  I ran across this and could not find a single trusted physician that I knew who thought it was going to do any good at all, and might do some significant harm.  And that includes several who are quite holistic in their approach.

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics