The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

The Emperor of All Maladies

Forums General Melanoma Community The Emperor of All Maladies

Participant

Wanted to mention a great book I am reading, which is also a PBS three part series that I just finished watching on Netflix. 

The title is The Emperor of All Maladies and it's a biography of cancer. The book is 600+ pages full of lots of history and science. The three part series which you can find on Netflix and probably other streaming devices as well is also great and takes much less time to get through. 

My favorite part is toward the end, in the third part of the series about halfway through, they finally get to immunotherapy. It still boggles my mind how much a mystery cancer still is to scientists and how far we still have to go, but also how great it is that science has come incredibly far in a short period of time, something that probably seemed nearly impossible just thirty or forty years ago.

Just wanted to share that with you all.

Next on my reading list is a book that just got released yesterday, A Series of Catastrophes and Miracles: A True Story of Love, Science, and Cancer.

http://amzn.com/1426216335 (the link to it on Amazon)

Here's the synopsis:

"After being diagnosed in her early 40s with metastatic melanoma—a "rapidly fatal" form of cancer—journalist and mother of two Mary Elizabeth Williams finds herself in a race against the clock. She takes a once-in-a-lifetime chance and joins a clinical trial for immunotherapy, a revolutionary drug regimen that trains the body to vanquish malignant cells. Astonishingly, her cancer disappears entirely in just a few weeks. But at the same time, her best friend embarks on a cancer journey of her own—with very different results. Williams's experiences as a patient and a medical test subject reveal with stark honesty what it takes to weather disease, the extraordinary new developments that are rewriting the rules of science—and the healing power of human connection."

Hope everyone is having a good 'hump day' πŸ™‚ 

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
          jennunicorn
          Participant

Thank you, great interview of the author of A Series of Catastrophes, definitely looking forward to reading it.

CHD
            Participant

Hi Jenni, Is A Series of Catastrophes alternative/New Agey, do you know? I read the Emperor of Maladies and loved it, and I do enjoy reading biographies about melanoma, but I am wary of New Age philosophies, especially those that "guilt" people into thinking their thoughts/feelings made them sick. πŸ™

CHD
              Participant

Hi Jenni, Is A Series of Catastrophes alternative/New Agey, do you know? I read the Emperor of Maladies and loved it, and I do enjoy reading biographies about melanoma, but I am wary of New Age philosophies, especially those that "guilt" people into thinking their thoughts/feelings made them sick. πŸ™

jennunicorn
                Participant

I have not read a Series of Catastrophes yet, but the book is just one woman's story of what she went through fighting stage 4 melanoma while a close friend of hers fought cervical cancer at the same time. I don't think it gives any advice or anything like that, just a true story. πŸ™‚

jennunicorn
                  Participant

I have not read a Series of Catastrophes yet, but the book is just one woman's story of what she went through fighting stage 4 melanoma while a close friend of hers fought cervical cancer at the same time. I don't think it gives any advice or anything like that, just a true story. πŸ™‚

jennunicorn
                    Participant

wasserd
                      Participant

Haha, you don't need to worry about New Agey-ness with Mary Elizabeth's book! It's irreverent, funny, and a hell of a great read. I devoured it in a day and a half.

Deborah

wasserd
                        Participant

Haha, you don't need to worry about New Agey-ness with Mary Elizabeth's book! It's irreverent, funny, and a hell of a great read. I devoured it in a day and a half.

Deborah

wasserd
                          Participant

Deborah

CHD
                            Participant

jennunicorn
                              Participant

Thank you, great interview of the author of A Series of Catastrophes, definitely looking forward to reading it.

jennunicorn
                                Participant

DZnDef
                                Participant

Thanks for posting this, Jenn.  I watched the PBS series when it first aired.  Very well done.  It boggles the mind how long the drug companies were focused on just different versions of chemotherapy for cancer treatment.  Immunotherapy is a long-overdue new dawn.  Let's hope they can continue to increase those effectiveness rates for everyone.  A worthwhile series to watch.

DZnDef
                                  Participant

Thanks for posting this, Jenn.  I watched the PBS series when it first aired.  Very well done.  It boggles the mind how long the drug companies were focused on just different versions of chemotherapy for cancer treatment.  Immunotherapy is a long-overdue new dawn.  Let's hope they can continue to increase those effectiveness rates for everyone.  A worthwhile series to watch.

DZnDef
                                    Participant

Gene_S
                                      Participant

The continued and necessary focus on improving the treatment of cancer, and the dazzling science behind this, should not blind us to the potential for cancer prevention, or distract us from the scaling up of relatively simple early detection solutions that have been available for decades. As we admire the emperor’s parade of new discoveries and potential breakthrough medicines, we need to be like the clear-eyed child with the courage to point out the obvious – a cancer prevented does not need to be cured.

Gene_S
                                        Participant

The continued and necessary focus on improving the treatment of cancer, and the dazzling science behind this, should not blind us to the potential for cancer prevention, or distract us from the scaling up of relatively simple early detection solutions that have been available for decades. As we admire the emperor’s parade of new discoveries and potential breakthrough medicines, we need to be like the clear-eyed child with the courage to point out the obvious – a cancer prevented does not need to be cured.

Gene_S
                                          Participant

jennunicorn
                                              Participant

The book and the series does talk about prevention and the history behind when cancer prevention began and how it clearly helped cancer rates go down. Unfortunately, they also talk about how a lot of cancers are not preventable because they do not know why they occur. If you don't know what causes a cancer, you can't prevent yourself from getting it. Not every cancer is something that can be avoided. I could never have avoided getting melanoma, it was not sun exposure related, all the shade and sunscreen in the world would not have stopped my body from eventually turning on itself. As science and research continues, hopefully we will find out more ways to prevent other cancers, but, like I said, sometimes there is just nothing any of us can do, it's just a part of the way our life is suppose to go. That's why focusing on advanced and better treatments is just as important as focusing prevention.

jennunicorn
                                                Participant

The book and the series does talk about prevention and the history behind when cancer prevention began and how it clearly helped cancer rates go down. Unfortunately, they also talk about how a lot of cancers are not preventable because they do not know why they occur. If you don't know what causes a cancer, you can't prevent yourself from getting it. Not every cancer is something that can be avoided. I could never have avoided getting melanoma, it was not sun exposure related, all the shade and sunscreen in the world would not have stopped my body from eventually turning on itself. As science and research continues, hopefully we will find out more ways to prevent other cancers, but, like I said, sometimes there is just nothing any of us can do, it's just a part of the way our life is suppose to go. That's why focusing on advanced and better treatments is just as important as focusing prevention.

DZnDef
                                                  Participant

There is a reason (more likely several reasons) each one of us developed cancer.  The reasons may be different for each of us (sun exposure, genetics, epigenetics, etc.).  Unless we know our own particular reasons we can't know for sure if it was preventable or not.  Even if the reason is genetic, that wouldn't explain why others with the same genetic anomoly do not develop the same cancer.   Unless the genetic anomoly resulted in a 100% cancer rate, the cause would have to be genetic plus something else.  

In the absence of understanding the reasons/causes, it is understandable that the focus is on treatment rather than prevention. Hopefully, there will be attention paid to learning the causes so we can then determine if there are preventative steps that can be taken.  Which does not help those of us already afflicted, but may help others from suffering the same fate.

DZnDef
                                                    Participant

There is a reason (more likely several reasons) each one of us developed cancer.  The reasons may be different for each of us (sun exposure, genetics, epigenetics, etc.).  Unless we know our own particular reasons we can't know for sure if it was preventable or not.  Even if the reason is genetic, that wouldn't explain why others with the same genetic anomoly do not develop the same cancer.   Unless the genetic anomoly resulted in a 100% cancer rate, the cause would have to be genetic plus something else.  

In the absence of understanding the reasons/causes, it is understandable that the focus is on treatment rather than prevention. Hopefully, there will be attention paid to learning the causes so we can then determine if there are preventative steps that can be taken.  Which does not help those of us already afflicted, but may help others from suffering the same fate.

DZnDef
                                                      Participant

jennunicorn
                                                        Participant

Well said Maggie πŸ™‚

jennunicorn
                                                          Participant

Well said Maggie πŸ™‚

jennunicorn
                                                            Participant

Well said Maggie πŸ™‚

jennunicorn
                                                              Participant

vickiaa0529
                                                              Participant

Thanks so much

I am layed up recovering from a groin dissection 

I'm out of stuff to read 

jennunicorn
                                                                  Participant

I know the feeling, hopefully these books could be something good help to pass the time πŸ™‚

jennunicorn
                                                                    Participant

I know the feeling, hopefully these books could be something good help to pass the time πŸ™‚

jennunicorn
                                                                      Participant

vickiaa0529
                                                                      Participant

Thanks so much

I'm out of stuff to read 

vickiaa0529
                                                                        Participant

Thanks so much

I'm out of stuff to read 

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byΒ MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics