The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

The Conclusion to the Seroma Ordeal

Forums General Melanoma Community The Conclusion to the Seroma Ordeal

Participant

I had 2 groin lymph nodes removed in Dec 2016, which then formed 3 seromas, one very large and two small ones. The surgeon said these would drain on their own and possibly seep out of the incision~neither happened. After a month the surgeon drained the largest seroma twice and it returned just as large. Waited another few weeks and had radiology drain all three seromas and they returned but much smaller.The surgeon said to return in 6 weeks to have the seromas drained one last time.

Meanwhile, after two weeks and while I was on vacation last week I became ill with the chills, blacked out while trying to get back into bed, got injured from the fall,and went to the ER. I let the ER DR know that I noticed some sort of rash over the seromas. An ultrasound was done and determined that I had skin cellulitis but that the seroma fluid was not infected. Given IV antibiotics, pill antibiotics,  and, labs, xrays, etc., and sent back to the hotel. Within the next 2 days the skin infection took off and I had a huge infected seroma over the incision area. Flew home and to the surgeon just in time before it burst and had it excised. A channel was cut into my leg to drain the fluid, and now the wound is healing from the inside out. Packing the wound daily. Well, the seromas are gone (was checked today, no fluid in my leg), will take another week  of packing the wound before it closes up. I know this isn't how it's supposed to go. 

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        debwray
        Participant

Sorry to hear that you ended up with raging infection. At least the seroma should now be gone. Don't be too shocked if it takes longer to fill in than you expect     …and have they given you antibiotic cover in the meantime….last thing you need is the cellulitis to come back..

Take care

Deb

Aloha14
          Participant

Hi Deb,

Yes, I'm still taking antibiotics. The wound seems to be closing up pretty quickly. It's been a week so far and I think I have a few more days to go. Be glad when this is over. 

Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics