The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

The Big C

Forums General Melanoma Community The Big C

Participant

just cuz…..I just signed up to get Showtime so I can watch the "The Big C' this Monday night at 10pm with Laura Linny (did I spell that right?). Can't wait to see how they play this out. Grey's Anatomy was too dramatic lets see how a little comedy can help spread the word. I like laughter, has saved my sanity many times….we'll see.cool love ya, Sharon in Reno Stage IV

just cuz…..I just signed up to get Showtime so I can watch the "The Big C' this Monday night at 10pm with Laura Linny (did I spell that right?). Can't wait to see how they play this out. Grey's Anatomy was too dramatic lets see how a little comedy can help spread the word. I like laughter, has saved my sanity many times….we'll see.cool love ya, Sharon in Reno Stage IV

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Lori C
        Participant

I agree – there are many days when I find I am too darn sad to laugh and it is awful; losing the ability to laugh should not be something else cancer gets to take from us. 

Sometimes, I actually like horror movies (not the bloody icky kind but ghosty spooky stuff!) because I figure no matter what else is going on with me, at least I'm not being pursued by the undead!

Sharon in Reno
            Participant

thats funny you say that…I also like to watch the stupid sffy moives and just like you not the bloody one, the goofy ones to check out with for the day, love ya, Sharon

Tim–MRF

I have seen the first episode at a screening with a few melanoma patients held at USA Today.  Their health reporter wanted to get the perspective of melanoma patients.  I won't comment on it now, but am interested in what people think of it.

We may try to host a special Chat Tuesday night about the show.

I absolutely agree about the humor.  Cancer treatment tends to create it's own brand of dark humor that can be a life saver.

Tim–MRF

EmilyandMike
              Participant

We saw the show last week (it is/was available on Showtime On Demand before Aug 16 if you have a subscription) and I think you can view it online.  One of my favorite shows is Weeds so they have been heavily promoting The Big C along with it on Showtime since it is catering to the same audience.  It was "comforting" for lack of a better word because we could relate to someone our age who is facing a melanoma diagnosis.  The show isn't about melanoma though.  Its about a woman who changes her life after facing her mortality.  Yeah, some parts might not be so realistic (she refuses chemo and doesnt tell her family about her diagnosis) but that makes for an interesting show.  I just like the fact that it brings attention to melanoma…and we will continue to watch it.

Emily – Wife of Mike Stage 3a – 1 year NED

Staci O.
                Participant

So is she dx'ed w/ melanoma or another type of cancer? I heard that the show is about a woman dealing w/ "terminal" cancer that seeks no treatment. I may watch it tonight.

Sharon in Reno
                    Participant

I do believe they said melanoma but nothing else was said., she was looking at slides that were lit up on a board & more that one met was showing up so  she's got a fight coming on. I didnt get the details which is what I wanted so I sure will be watching next week.cool

Viewing 3 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics