The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Thanksgiving story…how melanoma may have saved or at least prolonged my life

Forums General Melanoma Community Thanksgiving story…how melanoma may have saved or at least prolonged my life

Participant

I am MUP, originally classified N1b M0, awaiting left posterior neck dissection.  In preparation for surgery, we conducted a PET-CT scan (clear) and a brain MRI (see below).  Surgery is scheduled for December 7.

When my surgeon left a message saying he needed to discuss my MRI with me, I immediately started thinking, "brain mets, oh my G-d."  When we spoke, though, he said that the MRI had revealed an aneurysm at my M1 terminus.

I am MUP, originally classified N1b M0, awaiting left posterior neck dissection.  In preparation for surgery, we conducted a PET-CT scan (clear) and a brain MRI (see below).  Surgery is scheduled for December 7.

When my surgeon left a message saying he needed to discuss my MRI with me, I immediately started thinking, "brain mets, oh my G-d."  When we spoke, though, he said that the MRI had revealed an aneurysm at my M1 terminus.

I have been having a funny feeling for month — less balance, losing words, etc. — but never thought of an aneurysm.  However, symptoms have been getting worse…it could have blown at any time.  And the impact of a ruptured aneurysm really stink — 10-15% death on the way to the hospital, up to 50% at 30 days.  Most survivors lose a bunch of brain function.

So now we will (hopefully) patch the aneurysm while doing the neck dissection.  I still don't know that my status will not get worse during surgery (the same MRI a second possible positive lymph node in another part of the left posterior triangle.)  But whatever comes, I will probably live longer and better because we found the aneurysm now.

You never know when life gives you blessings, and some come in the most bizarre ways…

Happy Thanksgiving, all.

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Pekoe
        Participant

What a great Thanksgiving story!  I'm so glad that something good came out of your trials.  Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Vera

Dynasysman
            Participant

Thanks, Vera.  And a Happy one to you as well.  You haven't updated since February.  Things still going well (I hope!)?

Dynasysman
              Participant

Thanks, Vera.  And a Happy one to you as well.  You haven't updated since February.  Things still going well (I hope!)?

Pekoe
              Participant

What a great Thanksgiving story!  I'm so glad that something good came out of your trials.  Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Vera

Brandi
                Participant

Wow, what luck I am happy to hear you found this in time. God works in mysterious ways.

Brandi
                  Participant

Wow, what luck I am happy to hear you found this in time. God works in mysterious ways.

Viewing 3 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics