The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Test to determine likelyhood of recurrence for stage ii

Forums General Melanoma Community Test to determine likelyhood of recurrence for stage ii

Participant

I thought this was interesting for stage ii (and perhaps iii) people who are kind of left in the "wait and see" group, even with, what I would consider, dangerously high recurrance rates.

An exerpt from the article:

I thought this was interesting for stage ii (and perhaps iii) people who are kind of left in the "wait and see" group, even with, what I would consider, dangerously high recurrance rates.

An exerpt from the article:

BRANFORD, Conn., Dec. 21, 2011 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ — HistoRx recently licensed from Yale University a new clinical diagnostic assay based on AQUA® technology. This assay enables doctors treating patients with melanoma to identify a subset of those patients who, despite having no detectable cancer in their lymph nodes, have a 40% risk of recurrence of their disease. AQUA technology is an automated, quantitative IHC testing method that enables measurement of protein biomarkers in tissue as an aid to a pathologist's diagnosis. Such precise determination of first, the location within the tumor cell and second, the amount in each location is not possible with conventional testing methods, such as standard immunohistochemistry (IHC).

The prognostic assay was developed in the laboratory of David Rimm, MD, PhD, inventor of AQUA technology and Professor of Pathology, Director of Pathology Tissue Services at the Yale School of Medicine, and may be useful in guiding treatment decisions for Stage II, node-negative melanoma patients. "After surgical resection of the tumor, if the nodes are negative, we don't have much more to offer," said Dr. Rimm. "This assay allows us to measure the risk of recurrence which can be helpful to ease patient anxiety or to prompt patients to be aggressive in follow up or even consider adjuvant chemotherapy."

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/historx-licenses-melanoma-assay-from-yale-university-2011-12-21

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Charlie S
        Participant

Ya know, I REALLY like the thoughts of this. It was either Harvard or Yale that a couple of years ago came up with something similar about intron probabilities, but it dropped off the radar.

Remember the gold rush days when a miner would take an ore sample in for ASSAY?  The assay was a predictor of the size of the strike.

This melanoma assay really makes sense to me in its' science.

Thanks for posting.

Charlie S 

Charlie S
          Participant

Ya know, I REALLY like the thoughts of this. It was either Harvard or Yale that a couple of years ago came up with something similar about intron probabilities, but it dropped off the radar.

Remember the gold rush days when a miner would take an ore sample in for ASSAY?  The assay was a predictor of the size of the strike.

Thanks for posting.

Charlie S 

Charlie S
            Participant

Thanks for posting.

Charlie S 

JerryfromFauq
              Participant

Thanks for the update.  I had read about this being in developement.  Do you know when this will actually be available to the Onologist?

JerryfromFauq
                Participant

Thanks for the update.  I had read about this being in developement.  Do you know when this will actually be available to the Onologist?

JerryfromFauq
                  Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics