The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Terrified and Confused

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Terrified and Confused

Participant

Hi everyone.  I am in a really shitty spot right now.  If you read my earlier posts I had a 0.22 stage 1a melanoma removed from my neck back in October.  I had the WLE done in November and had my regular checkup a few weeks ago and everything was said to be healing nicely.  However, even one month after the WLE procedure there was one spot on my scar that looked darker than the rest.  Occaisionally some dead skin would be on that spot that I could easily remove.  

Last night however another piece was there, I pulled it off and it started bleeding.  The spot which almost seems under the skin and not on top of it is darker, almost like a black mole.  I immediately called my derm and he is seeing me Wednesday morning.  I have also just accepted a job for the summer that I leave for on monday morning after my appointment, but if this is my cancer returning I dont know how keeping this job is going to be possible with all the surgery I am sure I will require.

I am just confused.  I had clear margins  Is is possible that a melanoma that took 3 years to turn into a 1a to come back and grow to this size this fast?  I am just at a loss and feel completely drained and beaten here.  Any advice or help or experience would be most helpful.  Thank you.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        kpcollins31
        Participant

Some advice I can offer is this… do not panic and do not try to read ahead. This spot you refer to may very well be nothing but it is good to get it checked out. Just take one step at a time here. You have a job lined up – look forward to that and plan on being there. Even if it turns out to be something, you can still work. Plenty of us have continued working through surgeries so there is no reason to assume otherwise. I am stage 4 and work full time. Try to stay positive.

Kevin

kpcollins31
          Participant

Some advice I can offer is this… do not panic and do not try to read ahead. This spot you refer to may very well be nothing but it is good to get it checked out. Just take one step at a time here. You have a job lined up – look forward to that and plan on being there. Even if it turns out to be something, you can still work. Plenty of us have continued working through surgeries so there is no reason to assume otherwise. I am stage 4 and work full time. Try to stay positive.

Kevin

Gordknight
              Participant

Thanks Kevin.  My ray of hope is that the spot was always darker in the scar from the get go.  I doubt some stray cancer cells go do that within a few weeks.  Also the spot almost appears under my skin than on it if that makes any sense.  Still so hard to not worry.  From the second I got my melanoma diagnosis I have been waiting for the other shoe to drop so to speak.  I feel like it happened.  My hat off to you and everyone else dealing with a more advanced stage of this awful disease.  

shookssr
                Participant

I had a spot come back from my WLE about three months after. It was black and dead center. Turned out to be internal bleeding from a stitch popping.

shookssr
                  Participant

I had a spot come back from my WLE about three months after. It was black and dead center. Turned out to be internal bleeding from a stitch popping.

shookssr
                    Participant

Gordknight
                      Participant

Right I thought about stitches but I dont think any stitches were used on my WLE.  Just that surgeons glue.

Gordknight
                        Participant

Right I thought about stitches but I dont think any stitches were used on my WLE.  Just that surgeons glue.

SusanD713
                          Participant

Hey!! I recently had a WLE on my 1a tumor. They too used surgical glue on the outside but I believe they used stitches on the inside. It's possible you had stitches as well. Good luck! I'm sure it's prob nothing though!

SusanD713
                            Participant

Hey!! I recently had a WLE on my 1a tumor. They too used surgical glue on the outside but I believe they used stitches on the inside. It's possible you had stitches as well. Good luck! I'm sure it's prob nothing though!

SusanD713
                              Participant

Janner
                                Participant

You most likely had internal stitches.  They remove tissue down to the muscle fascia and simple glue on the skin wouldn't hold that divot together.  Often times, there are two or three layers of stitches depending on size and anatomy.

Janner
                                  Participant

You most likely had internal stitches.  They remove tissue down to the muscle fascia and simple glue on the skin wouldn't hold that divot together.  Often times, there are two or three layers of stitches depending on size and anatomy.

Gordknight
                                    Participant

Oh interesting.  I didnt know.  Would it be normal for a stitch not to be disolved and be causing this 5 1/2 months post op?

Gordknight
                                      Participant

Oh interesting.  I didnt know.  Would it be normal for a stitch not to be disolved and be causing this 5 1/2 months post op?

Gordknight
                                        Participant

Janner
                                          Participant

Yes, it is actually a topic that comes up regularly and 6 months is probably about average based on my memory.  A stitch may present in different ways as you will see if you search for that topic.

Janner
                                            Participant

Yes, it is actually a topic that comes up regularly and 6 months is probably about average based on my memory.  A stitch may present in different ways as you will see if you search for that topic.

Gordknight
                                              Participant

Thanks Janner and everyone for your replies.  It really helps lessen the stress.  Its just so unerving when the spot is in the exact location on the scar where your melanoma was removed.  I honestly dont know where I would be without this board and the people here.  

Gordknight
                                                Participant

Thanks Janner and everyone for your replies.  It really helps lessen the stress.  Its just so unerving when the spot is in the exact location on the scar where your melanoma was removed.  I honestly dont know where I would be without this board and the people here.  

Gordknight
                                                  Participant

Gordknight
                                                    Participant

One other quick question.  Can a biopsy still be taken from a spot that has a scab on it?  After it bled it obviously scabbed up.  Just hoping that its still something that can be removed and biopsied if need be.

Gordknight
                                                      Participant

One other quick question.  Can a biopsy still be taken from a spot that has a scab on it?  After it bled it obviously scabbed up.  Just hoping that its still something that can be removed and biopsied if need be.

Janner
                                                        Participant

Your derm will have to determine that.

Janner
                                                          Participant

Gordknight
                                                            Participant

Update:  Saw my awesome derm today.  He removed the scab and underlying skin to be safe, but he said its most likely a sututure rupturing or an allergic reaction or something to that effect.  He said he would be absolutely blown away if it was a recurrence as there was no pigment visible to the naked eye after he removed it and in the last 15 years he has only had one recurrence in a scar area and it was on a lesion far more advanced than mine.  Feel much better now, and also thank you to everyone for your replies.   

Gordknight
                                                              Participant

Update:  Saw my awesome derm today.  He removed the scab and underlying skin to be safe, but he said its most likely a sututure rupturing or an allergic reaction or something to that effect.  He said he would be absolutely blown away if it was a recurrence as there was no pigment visible to the naked eye after he removed it and in the last 15 years he has only had one recurrence in a scar area and it was on a lesion far more advanced than mine.  Feel much better now, and also thank you to everyone for your replies.   

Gordknight
                                                                Participant

Janner
                                                                  Participant

Gordknight
                                                                    Participant

Janner
                                                                      Participant

Janner
                                                                        Participant

Gordknight
                                                                          Participant

Gordknight
                                                                            Participant

Thanks Kevin.  My ray of hope is that the spot was always darker in the scar from the get go.  I doubt some stray cancer cells go do that within a few weeks.  Also the spot almost appears under my skin than on it if that makes any sense.  Still so hard to not worry.  From the second I got my melanoma diagnosis I have been waiting for the other shoe to drop so to speak.  I feel like it happened.  My hat off to you and everyone else dealing with a more advanced stage of this awful disease.  

Gordknight
                                                                              Participant

kpcollins31
                                                                              Participant

Kevin

Viewing 2 reply threads
                                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics