The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Terrible itching and swelling at old melanoma surgical scar

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Terrible itching and swelling at old melanoma surgical scar

Participant

I had my initial wide excision 8 years ago in April. Then another one at MD Anderson Cancer Center a few months later. Every once in a while, it begins itching at that site, but rarely but this past several days it has been driving me nuts and in asking hubby what is going on back there (I can't see well in the mirror), he said there is a ridge of swelling and it is red (since I ask him every few minutes to scratch it, that may be the reason for the redness). However, the itching, day and night, is driving me crazy.

I had my initial wide excision 8 years ago in April. Then another one at MD Anderson Cancer Center a few months later. Every once in a while, it begins itching at that site, but rarely but this past several days it has been driving me nuts and in asking hubby what is going on back there (I can't see well in the mirror), he said there is a ridge of swelling and it is red (since I ask him every few minutes to scratch it, that may be the reason for the redness). However, the itching, day and night, is driving me crazy.

This is how I first found my initial melanoma lesion….it was either a mole I was unaware of or a mole that popped up at that site suddenly but it itched like mad. I spent a lot of time brushing against doorways to scratch for a while, until I finally went to the doctor for what turned out to be a cracked rib (from simply bending over to pick up purse) and had him look at my itching mole.The mole was removed  immediately and I got the word the next day that it was melanoma. It turned out to be deeper than thought and had spread to 5 nodes (three filled with melanoma and two with micromets). Thank God it was caught in time and I have the cracked rib to thank for that!  The rest is history. I went to MD Anderson Cancer Center where the metastasis was caught in time and I have been doing very well.

Okay, getting wordy here. My question is this:  Could this be MORE melanoma presenting at the scar site after all these years? Why would an old scar begin swelling and itching so badly? Anyone else have this happen?

Of interest is that I just had my scans and all a couple of weeks ago. Another year of being NED. I do have an appointment with a dermatologist at MDA in May to look at a site of interest on face (looks like age spot and likely is) and do an overall exam, and was told that this was the first available appointment. Should I call the Mel and Skin Center at MDA if this itching and swelling continues and see if I can get in on an emergency basis? Taking an antihistimine does not help with the itch and I hesitate to put anything on it. It is NOT a bug bite.

Any thoughts or advice will be greatly appreciated. By the way, I think I like the changes here on this site, but it took me by surprise. I opened a new account under GiniaJM but am formerly Jeannie in Texas, as my longtime friends here know me as. Hello all!

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

I would call for an earlier appointment.  Since intense itching was a sign of your first melanoma, I don't think it is wise to ignore it now.  There is only one way to know for sure whether this is something, or nothing, and that's with a biopsy.  Call and get an earlier appointment so you know for sure.  You are your own best advocate and if you can't get in earlier there, try somewhere else.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
          Participant

I would call for an earlier appointment.  Since intense itching was a sign of your first melanoma, I don't think it is wise to ignore it now.  There is only one way to know for sure whether this is something, or nothing, and that's with a biopsy.  Call and get an earlier appointment so you know for sure.  You are your own best advocate and if you can't get in earlier there, try somewhere else.

Best wishes,

Janner

Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics