The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Terrible burning at SLNB site

Forums General Melanoma Community Terrible burning at SLNB site

Participant

I have been having a really bad burning sensation for many days that will not go away in my armpit right above the area where 3 lymph nodes were removed.  The back of my upper arm feels sort of like a numbness shot is wearing off.  It also feels like there may have been injections in my armpit, so hard to describe but a continuous pain/annoyance.  Has anyone experienced this sort of thing?  It has been 11 days since the surgery.

I have been having a really bad burning sensation for many days that will not go away in my armpit right above the area where 3 lymph nodes were removed.  The back of my upper arm feels sort of like a numbness shot is wearing off.  It also feels like there may have been injections in my armpit, so hard to describe but a continuous pain/annoyance.  Has anyone experienced this sort of thing?  It has been 11 days since the surgery.

I also had the WLE on my back which is doing remarkably well as far as pain goes.  My uvula was damage from the breathing tube during surgery and that caused me more pain/discomfort than the WLE.

Thanks, Pennie

Viewing 21 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

What you are experiencing is normal.  Good chance that nerves were either touched or cut. When I had both of my surgeries that were under the arm it also felt sticky. I had a difficult time at firs raising my arm.  It does get better with time.  Once you are totally healed (probably about 2 months), hen start some stretching exercises.  Right now, don't overdue!! 

Wishing you the best,

Linda

lhaley
          Participant

What you are experiencing is normal.  Good chance that nerves were either touched or cut. When I had both of my surgeries that were under the arm it also felt sticky. I had a difficult time at firs raising my arm.  It does get better with time.  Once you are totally healed (probably about 2 months), hen start some stretching exercises.  Right now, don't overdue!! 

Wishing you the best,

Linda

KatyWI
            Participant

Hi Pennie,

I just wanted to confirm that I experienced that too, after my LND, and it's normal (and yes, annoying.)  It will go away.  You mway have some sort of permanent numbness, but you wIll stop noticing it.

Hang in there,

KatyWI

KatyWI
              Participant

Hi Pennie,

I just wanted to confirm that I experienced that too, after my LND, and it's normal (and yes, annoying.)  It will go away.  You mway have some sort of permanent numbness, but you wIll stop noticing it.

Hang in there,

KatyWI

JewelryCrafterGirl
                Participant

I take it the burning just has to fizzle out on its own, there is nothing we can put on it or take to lessen it?  I also have the sticky feeling and it is quite painful to lift my arm.  So much so that I had my hair cut short a few days ago.  It is so much easier to manage until this heals.

Thanks so much.

Pennie

lhaley
                    Participant

I would put a warm washcloth in the area.  When I had my latisimus flap that was as far as I could even reach the arm!  They made me wait till after my follow up appointment to use anything other than water.  First surgery was more drastic and I went to an occupational therapist to help with movement.  This last surgery for the lymph nodes I was able to start stretching a little after 3 weeks or so.   Just when all of the pain was away I started to exercise. It came rushing back but after doing it for 2 weeks now I'm fine and building up strength in that arm. 

Give it time and you will feel so much better,

Linda

lhaley
                      Participant

I would put a warm washcloth in the area.  When I had my latisimus flap that was as far as I could even reach the arm!  They made me wait till after my follow up appointment to use anything other than water.  First surgery was more drastic and I went to an occupational therapist to help with movement.  This last surgery for the lymph nodes I was able to start stretching a little after 3 weeks or so.   Just when all of the pain was away I started to exercise. It came rushing back but after doing it for 2 weeks now I'm fine and building up strength in that arm. 

Give it time and you will feel so much better,

Linda

JewelryCrafterGirl
                      Participant

I take it the burning just has to fizzle out on its own, there is nothing we can put on it or take to lessen it?  I also have the sticky feeling and it is quite painful to lift my arm.  So much so that I had my hair cut short a few days ago.  It is so much easier to manage until this heals.

Thanks so much.

Pennie

Bonnie Lea
                        Participant

Oh my yes, that is all quite normal.  I had similar though not melanoma related, with SNB with subsequent removal of 8 from one armpit and 3 from another, and the burning stabbing and numbness still rears about.  Like it was mentioned, it is about nerves.  when they are disturnbed, they react.  it may take a long time for some, and for some others, not so long. 

I find that gentle massage helps, with a nice lotion.

Bonnie

Bonnie Lea
                          Participant

Oh my yes, that is all quite normal.  I had similar though not melanoma related, with SNB with subsequent removal of 8 from one armpit and 3 from another, and the burning stabbing and numbness still rears about.  Like it was mentioned, it is about nerves.  when they are disturnbed, they react.  it may take a long time for some, and for some others, not so long. 

I find that gentle massage helps, with a nice lotion.

Bonnie

Carmon in NM
                            Participant

Hi Pennie – it's been more than two years for me and I still have chronic neuropathy under and down my arm from SNB/LND. If it continues longer than a few months, talk to your doctor as there are medications that really do help with it. Hang it there – for most people it does go away! Carmon

Carmon in NM
                              Participant

Hi Pennie – it's been more than two years for me and I still have chronic neuropathy under and down my arm from SNB/LND. If it continues longer than a few months, talk to your doctor as there are medications that really do help with it. Hang it there – for most people it does go away! Carmon

washoegal
                                Participant

I don't believe your nerves were cut but only nicked or even just disturbed.  The pain you are feeling is the nerves trying to heal.  It sometimes takes a long time.  The pain should go away, the numbness depending on the damage may or may not go away.  But numbness you learn to ignore.

After have all my lymph nodes removed I had all those symptoms plus some.  Just left with numbness and an occasional shock of pain.     Nothing that I can't live with quite easily.  Just take thing slow and try not to worry.  Like I said nerves are very slow to heal (could be months, sorry about that) and the pain you are feeling is part of the healing process.

I hope you biopsy results are all clear!

Good Luck,

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
                                  Participant

I don't believe your nerves were cut but only nicked or even just disturbed.  The pain you are feeling is the nerves trying to heal.  It sometimes takes a long time.  The pain should go away, the numbness depending on the damage may or may not go away.  But numbness you learn to ignore.

After have all my lymph nodes removed I had all those symptoms plus some.  Just left with numbness and an occasional shock of pain.     Nothing that I can't live with quite easily.  Just take thing slow and try not to worry.  Like I said nerves are very slow to heal (could be months, sorry about that) and the pain you are feeling is part of the healing process.

I hope you biopsy results are all clear!

Good Luck,

Mary

Stage 3

JewelryCrafterGirl
                                    Participant

Thank you all very much.  I will try the washcloth, the tingly part on the back of my arm is felt down to my elbow now.  I go back for my post-op appointment on Jan. 31.  The bright side is that I am right handed and all this is on my left side 🙂

Take care~Pennie

JewelryCrafterGirl
                                      Participant

Thank you all very much.  I will try the washcloth, the tingly part on the back of my arm is felt down to my elbow now.  I go back for my post-op appointment on Jan. 31.  The bright side is that I am right handed and all this is on my left side 🙂

Take care~Pennie

Frannie55
                                        Participant

I have had these pains in my thigh after my WLE's. I take Neurontin for it and it really helps. The stabbing and buring was almost intolerable. Funny thing, it seems that on the 1 year anniversary of each surgery, the sensations diminish. In a couple of months I will start weaning myself off the the Neurontin and see what happens.

JewelryCrafterGirl
                                            Participant

Wow, one year, that is a long time.  I only had three lymph nodes removed and was not expecting no where near the amount of pain that I have had.  It is two weeks today since the surgery.  My WLE gave me no problems what so ever.

Best wishes to you~Pennie

JewelryCrafterGirl
                                              Participant

Wow, one year, that is a long time.  I only had three lymph nodes removed and was not expecting no where near the amount of pain that I have had.  It is two weeks today since the surgery.  My WLE gave me no problems what so ever.

Best wishes to you~Pennie

Frannie55
                                              Participant

I have had these pains in my thigh after my WLE's. I take Neurontin for it and it really helps. The stabbing and buring was almost intolerable. Funny thing, it seems that on the 1 year anniversary of each surgery, the sensations diminish. In a couple of months I will start weaning myself off the the Neurontin and see what happens.

LynnLuc
                                                Participant

Hi Pennie, Who is your Dr at Moffitt? I would just e-mail the doc or the nurse ( or call) and thell them what is going on. My team is really good about responding.

Hope you feel better soon!-Lynn

JewelryCrafterGirl
                                                    Participant

Dr. Zager, I am in contact with him and his nurse, via phone and email.  I appreciate hearing from those that have experienced similar situations too.  Being three hours away presents its challenges.  If everything comes back clear, I may think about going to some place closer for my periodic scans, possibly MD Anderson in Orlando.

Take care, hope you are doing well~Pennie

LynnLuc
                                                      Participant

I am doing well! I still have pain from my right thoracotomy and it's been 9 months so I guess it takes a long time to heal. They went in and bothered the 4th or 5th intercostal nerve…still painful at times and always gnawling feeling ..Trade offs we make when fighting the beast!

LynnLuc
                                                        Participant

I am doing well! I still have pain from my right thoracotomy and it's been 9 months so I guess it takes a long time to heal. They went in and bothered the 4th or 5th intercostal nerve…still painful at times and always gnawling feeling ..Trade offs we make when fighting the beast!

JewelryCrafterGirl
                                                          Participant

Dr. Zager, I am in contact with him and his nurse, via phone and email.  I appreciate hearing from those that have experienced similar situations too.  Being three hours away presents its challenges.  If everything comes back clear, I may think about going to some place closer for my periodic scans, possibly MD Anderson in Orlando.

Take care, hope you are doing well~Pennie

LynnLuc
                                                          Participant

Hi Pennie, Who is your Dr at Moffitt? I would just e-mail the doc or the nurse ( or call) and thell them what is going on. My team is really good about responding.

Hope you feel better soon!-Lynn

triciad
                                                            Participant

Hi Pennie,

I had my nodes removed from my groin area., so I'm sure everyone who has posted here is more knowledgable regarding the armpit area.  I had extreme burning at my surgury site, which wound up to be an infection.  I was so infected they did emergency surgery.  I kept calling my surgeon's office and the nurse kept telling me it was a sign of healing.  Then, my dermatologist looked at it and sent me right over to the ER where I was admitted immediately and prepped for surgery for the first thing in the morning.  Check the site area and make sure it is not hot to the touch; that's usually a sign of infection.  I'm sure it is just the healing for you, but better to be safe than sorry.  Good luck to you.  I hope you feel better soon!

Tricia

JewelryCrafterGirl
                                                                Participant

Hi Tricia,

I am confident that the burning sticky feeling is normal, because so many others have experienced the same thing.  I did have extensive bruising all around my lymph node incision and down my left breast area.  The nurse said that as long as it was not red that it was okay.  The Dr. asked if I had a fever and I do not, I check it everyday.  But the lymph node site was a concern from the beginning.  It is not a good feeling being so far away.  Maybe I should have done like you and seen someone locally, but I go back for my post-op on Monday and it does look better, though still painful.

Take Care~Pennie  

triciad
                                                                  Participant

Pennie,

You're in my prayers for faster healing.  Keep positive and good luck!

Tricia

triciad
                                                                    Participant

Pennie,

You're in my prayers for faster healing.  Keep positive and good luck!

Tricia

JewelryCrafterGirl
                                                                      Participant

Hi Tricia,

I am confident that the burning sticky feeling is normal, because so many others have experienced the same thing.  I did have extensive bruising all around my lymph node incision and down my left breast area.  The nurse said that as long as it was not red that it was okay.  The Dr. asked if I had a fever and I do not, I check it everyday.  But the lymph node site was a concern from the beginning.  It is not a good feeling being so far away.  Maybe I should have done like you and seen someone locally, but I go back for my post-op on Monday and it does look better, though still painful.

Take Care~Pennie  

triciad
                                                                      Participant

Hi Pennie,

I had my nodes removed from my groin area., so I'm sure everyone who has posted here is more knowledgable regarding the armpit area.  I had extreme burning at my surgury site, which wound up to be an infection.  I was so infected they did emergency surgery.  I kept calling my surgeon's office and the nurse kept telling me it was a sign of healing.  Then, my dermatologist looked at it and sent me right over to the ER where I was admitted immediately and prepped for surgery for the first thing in the morning.  Check the site area and make sure it is not hot to the touch; that's usually a sign of infection.  I'm sure it is just the healing for you, but better to be safe than sorry.  Good luck to you.  I hope you feel better soon!

Tricia

JewelryCrafterGirl
                                                                        Participant

I went back for my post-op appointment, lymph nodes and tissue are negative, so happy.  I also had a lung scan and the nodule has not changed, will have another scan in six months.

The burning pain is still there, though it has lessened a bit.

Thanks to everyone for all your help!

Healing wishes to all~Pennie

JewelryCrafterGirl
                                                                          Participant

I went back for my post-op appointment, lymph nodes and tissue are negative, so happy.  I also had a lung scan and the nodule has not changed, will have another scan in six months.

The burning pain is still there, though it has lessened a bit.

Thanks to everyone for all your help!

Healing wishes to all~Pennie

Viewing 21 reply threads
                                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics