The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Tens unit for pain?

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Tens unit for pain?

Does anyone have any experience with the tens unit. Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulator.  I would be using it for pain other than from melanoma.    Seems like the Am Ca Society  is not indicating a contraindication but I know some oncologists are not very happy with using it.  Seems like my last hope for some relief.  If it works for me.  Was hoping for some personal feedback.  Thank you in advance. Mary

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Replies
      Janner
      Participant

I've used them many times before on MANY knee surgeries as part of rehab.  I also used them when on long drives alone and knee pain from immobility and bent knees was an issue.  For me, I can't say it was total pain relief.  However, it did seem to break the pain cycle some and make things more bearable for me.  I'm not sure why an oncologist would even care about it, but I'm also not sure it's going to do all you hope.  However,  I certainly think it is worth a try.

Best wishes,

Janner

Hi Janner,  It is my belief the oncologist think that the electrical stimulation might "stimulate the cancer growth".  IT is even listed as a contraindication in some tens units information.  Most of this type of warning is from awhile ago.  The American Cancer Society does not have this warning on its information. LOL, the last thing I want to do is "stimulate cancer".  But I am at that point where quality of life is important so I am going to try it  if possible.   Appreciate your answer.   Mary

Janner
          Participant

Two of my three primaries are inches from each knee.  8 knee surgeries.  If there was something left behind, the tens unit didn't stimulate anything in mine!  ๐Ÿ™‚  I was once denied a facial at a beauty school because it may stimulate cancer growth.  3 primaries, stage I, and none near my face.  I always take these warnings like you said — done a LONG time ago.  I learned never to reveal my cancer history at a beauty school! 

Janner

Janner
            Participant

Two of my three primaries are inches from each knee.  8 knee surgeries.  If there was something left behind, the tens unit didn't stimulate anything in mine!  ๐Ÿ™‚  I was once denied a facial at a beauty school because it may stimulate cancer growth.  3 primaries, stage I, and none near my face.  I always take these warnings like you said — done a LONG time ago.  I learned never to reveal my cancer history at a beauty school! 

Janner

Janner
              Participant

Janner

Hi Janner,  It is my belief the oncologist think that the electrical stimulation might "stimulate the cancer growth".  IT is even listed as a contraindication in some tens units information.  Most of this type of warning is from awhile ago.  The American Cancer Society does not have this warning on its information. LOL, the last thing I want to do is "stimulate cancer".  But I am at that point where quality of life is important so I am going to try it  if possible.   Appreciate your answer.   Mary

Janner
              Participant

I've used them many times before on MANY knee surgeries as part of rehab.  I also used them when on long drives alone and knee pain from immobility and bent knees was an issue.  For me, I can't say it was total pain relief.  However, it did seem to break the pain cycle some and make things more bearable for me.  I'm not sure why an oncologist would even care about it, but I'm also not sure it's going to do all you hope.  However,  I certainly think it is worth a try.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

POW
                  Participant

Interestingly, just the other day there was a post on the MIF forum entitled: "Clinical trial for neuropathy from chemotherapy". The post contains a link to an interesting article and to a clinical trial about using electrical stimulation (seems similar to a TENS unit) to reduce cancer pain. 

Yes, it sure does.  A rose is a rose……I followed the link and data is supposed to be posted March , 2014.Thank you for the info.  Mary

bfacedon
                      Participant
                        It’s helped me a lot but you have to buy a decent one. Here’s a review on some units that I used. Most are pretty good. https://travelerinfohub.com/healthmateforever-tens-unit-reviews/

Yes, it sure does.  A rose is a rose……I followed the link and data is supposed to be posted March , 2014.Thank you for the info.  Mary

POW
                      Participant

Interestingly, just the other day there was a post on the MIF forum entitled: "Clinical trial for neuropathy from chemotherapy". The post contains a link to an interesting article and to a clinical trial about using electrical stimulation (seems similar to a TENS unit) to reduce cancer pain. 

POW
                        Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics