The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Tel Aviv scientists block spread of melanoma?

Forums General Melanoma Community Tel Aviv scientists block spread of melanoma?

Participant

Is it possible?! Sorry, i dont know how to link article. Saw it on sostrenews.com

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        sister of patient
        Participant

Hi – This appears to be really exciting (unless it's old news and I've somehow missed it).

I'm posting the link to your source – http://sostrenews.com/tel-aviv-university-closing-cure-melanoma/   – did a search too though and, as it's out of Tel Aviv, the Israeli press are really covering the story but I can't find much in North America. 

Let's hope it really is the breakthrough they've been searching for!!! Thanks for the post.

Barb

PFritz
            Participant

This would be amazing but then what is the reality of when US FDA approves…..I'm stage 1b and hoping/praying for some kind of preventative because I don't like the just watch and weight.

PFritz
              Participant

This would be amazing but then what is the reality of when US FDA approves…..I'm stage 1b and hoping/praying for some kind of preventative because I don't like the just watch and weight.

PFritz
                Participant

sister of patient
                Participant

Hi – This appears to be really exciting (unless it's old news and I've somehow missed it).

I'm posting the link to your source – http://sostrenews.com/tel-aviv-university-closing-cure-melanoma/   – did a search too though and, as it's out of Tel Aviv, the Israeli press are really covering the story but I can't find much in North America. 

Let's hope it really is the breakthrough they've been searching for!!! Thanks for the post.

Barb

sister of patient
                  Participant

Barb

Bubbles
                    Participant

Hey guys,

You have to look at my blog for only two milliseconds to recognize that I am a science wonk…especially about anything relating to the prevention, cure, or early detection of melanoma.  While the work noted in the article is certainly exciting, worthy and hopeful….perhaps the most import part of the report is this:  "Both substances were tested successfully in the lab, and may serve as promising candidates for future drugs."

Sadly, that means in a petri dish….MAYBE…in a mouse…(just not Ed!)….but certainly not in a living human melanoma patient.  In fact, they have only isolated the chemicals…and have yet to develop something they can even call a drug.  BUT!!!  It is still awesome….not trying to throw a damper on progress….just keeping it real! 

Thanks for sharing….cause everything we learn certainly counts.  Yours, celeste

PS…oddly melanoma cells are shockingly vulnerable in a dish….and sometimes in mice…yet remain so virulent in us (of course we are learning that is in large part due to the fact that melanoma is able to change and wear an invisibility cloak right out of Harry Potter….while our immune cells are not as good at playing blind man's bluff)!  But….if your are interested….I keep a running report on all the things that kill melanoma.  Here is a post I put up at the first of the month that includes the latest articles and links to prior reports on the same topic –

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2016/08/everything-cures-melanomaredux5.html

mom3girlsFL
                        Participant

Ha Celeste!  I am laughing so hard right now!  I told my hubby I would post anonymously as he found the article and thought I should share.  My first words to him were – I'm posting BUT I can't wait to hear what "Bubbles" or Janner will have to say about the reality of it.  Hands down you have posted so much info that I personally have read and/or taken to my appointments!  Thanks for all your hard work, postings, and blog!

I agree ANY step forward is progress of some sort but this beast is tricky!  No offense taken, honestly!

Remaining pessimistically optimistic since 2002,

Laurie

mom3girlsFL
                          Participant

Ha Celeste!  I am laughing so hard right now!  I told my hubby I would post anonymously as he found the article and thought I should share.  My first words to him were – I'm posting BUT I can't wait to hear what "Bubbles" or Janner will have to say about the reality of it.  Hands down you have posted so much info that I personally have read and/or taken to my appointments!  Thanks for all your hard work, postings, and blog!

I agree ANY step forward is progress of some sort but this beast is tricky!  No offense taken, honestly!

Laurie

mom3girlsFL
                            Participant

Laurie

sister of patient
                              Participant

Hey Celeste – My own thoughts after reading that article were actually that it could bode well for some sort of screening test in the future, not necessarily that it's going to do existing patients any good or anyone in the future once it gets to a metastatic phase. And yep, given how long testing phases are, first in labs, then in animals, then in humans – for any kind of new treatments –  it's all only "plausible."  But the more they learn about the disease, the closer they get to answers that will help. I have alot of faith that one day they'll know everything they need in order to totally eradicate it.

Since this has hit our family, so many people have asked "why" and "how" and I certainly don't have answers to those questions but as I keep reminding them, 100 years ago, more than 100 million people worldwide died from flu, simply because our immune systems weren't equipped to deal with it. I sure hope it doesn't take another 100 years for them to totally understand mel!!

Best,

Barb

sister of patient
                                Participant

Hey Celeste – My own thoughts after reading that article were actually that it could bode well for some sort of screening test in the future, not necessarily that it's going to do existing patients any good or anyone in the future once it gets to a metastatic phase. And yep, given how long testing phases are, first in labs, then in animals, then in humans – for any kind of new treatments –  it's all only "plausible."  But the more they learn about the disease, the closer they get to answers that will help. I have alot of faith that one day they'll know everything they need in order to totally eradicate it.

Since this has hit our family, so many people have asked "why" and "how" and I certainly don't have answers to those questions but as I keep reminding them, 100 years ago, more than 100 million people worldwide died from flu, simply because our immune systems weren't equipped to deal with it. I sure hope it doesn't take another 100 years for them to totally understand mel!!

Best,

Barb

sister of patient
                                  Participant

Best,

Barb

Bubbles
                                  Participant

Hey guys,

You have to look at my blog for only two milliseconds to recognize that I am a science wonk…especially about anything relating to the prevention, cure, or early detection of melanoma.  While the work noted in the article is certainly exciting, worthy and hopeful….perhaps the most import part of the report is this:  "Both substances were tested successfully in the lab, and may serve as promising candidates for future drugs."

Sadly, that means in a petri dish….MAYBE…in a mouse…(just not Ed!)….but certainly not in a living human melanoma patient.  In fact, they have only isolated the chemicals…and have yet to develop something they can even call a drug.  BUT!!!  It is still awesome….not trying to throw a damper on progress….just keeping it real! 

PS…oddly melanoma cells are shockingly vulnerable in a dish….and sometimes in mice…yet remain so virulent in us (of course we are learning that is in large part due to the fact that melanoma is able to change and wear an invisibility cloak right out of Harry Potter….while our immune cells are not as good at playing blind man's bluff)!  But….if your are interested….I keep a running report on all the things that kill melanoma.  Here is a post I put up at the first of the month that includes the latest articles and links to prior reports on the same topic –

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2016/08/everything-cures-melanomaredux5.html

Bubbles
                                    Participant

Hey guys,

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics