The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Teen son picked off mole- worried

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Teen son picked off mole- worried

Participant
      Hi,

My son has had a small totally benign “freckle” on his nose, by the crease of his nostril, for a few years. He is 14. I have history of mm in-situ and he is seen yearly.
      It was the most benign looking thing ever, but seemed to be a bit raised lately.. maybe the last month. I normally worry, but I attributed it to puberty and thought maybe it was just irritated or becoming an intradermal nevus.
      Monday night he all of a sudden picked at it and it is essentially gone with a big zit looking thing in its place. White hard center, red inflamed skin and I don’t even know if any pigment is left. He is going to derm today but I thought i would post to see if anyone had thoughts.

I don’t know if mole became tad raised from him picking or he picked and irritated it, or if it was puberty or something bad going on in this spot (2mm light tan, completely benign looking) I also don’t know if it’s an infected mole, a zit under the mole or irritated mole or what. I don’t know if derm will even know at this point and if he would biopsy or just see how it heals. I also wonder if picking at the mole can make it risky to morph into cancer.
      It definitely didn’t spontaneously become angry- he picked at it and caused the issue now, but I am worried what to do if the pigment doesn’t grow back. Also don’t want to rush to biopsy in case it’s hard to read being so inflamed and it’s on his face…

I have anxiety so I may be overthinking this!

Thanks and best wishes to all of you!!

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        JudiAU
        Participant
          I think you’ll just have to wait until your derm sees it. There are skin growths that have a tail though. When they are removed the tail has to be removed to. It is possible that is what you are seeing. And of course a deep pimple near the growth could have been what caused him to start picking.
      Viewing 0 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics