The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Tanning Industry

Forums General Melanoma Community Tanning Industry

Participant
      Every time I see an anti-smoking commercial or pamphlet, I think, “why isn’t there more of an anti-tanning campaign?” All day I see and hear commercials for tanning salons, boasting the “healthful” effects of vitamin D and student discounts. And, though melanoma awareness is higher than ever, it still seems like people still dispute whether tanning is really that bad for you. I’ve seen one good magazine campaign and one commercial, but it’s not on anymore 🙁 I know people will always tan, or smoke, but at least smokers undeniably know that it’s a bad choice.

It makes me want to walk in there with my many scars and disfigurements exposed. I want to picket them with photos of when I had so many stitches I looked like Frankenstein, and when I was sick after months of treatment… I want them to see my beautiful young face behind an oxygen tube. I want them to see my medical bills.

Is it just me?

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        LibbyinVA
        Participant
          Oh, no, it is definitely NOT only you. FACT: Using a tanning bed just once increases the risk of developing melanoma by 75% within your lifetime. Somehow I feel like I am preaching to the choir when I post stuff like this on here. We all know better…it’s everyone else, without the scars, pain, etc, who need to know.

Since tanning beds are regulated at the state level, get in touch with your state reps and let’s get to work on this. A few states have already done this, but not many.

We can also contact our DC reps to support recent FDA proposal to make these a class II medical device. Class III would be better, but at least class II would be better than nothing. Right now beds are in same class as bandaids and tongue depressors!

There is a reason tanning beds are shaped like coffins. Geez, can you tell I am just a little passionate about this issue?

Libby

LibbyinVA
          Participant
            Oh, no, it is definitely NOT only you. FACT: Using a tanning bed just once increases the risk of developing melanoma by 75% within your lifetime. Somehow I feel like I am preaching to the choir when I post stuff like this on here. We all know better…it’s everyone else, without the scars, pain, etc, who need to know.

Since tanning beds are regulated at the state level, get in touch with your state reps and let’s get to work on this. A few states have already done this, but not many.

We can also contact our DC reps to support recent FDA proposal to make these a class II medical device. Class III would be better, but at least class II would be better than nothing. Right now beds are in same class as bandaids and tongue depressors!

There is a reason tanning beds are shaped like coffins. Geez, can you tell I am just a little passionate about this issue?

Libby

LibbyinVA
            Participant

Libby

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics