The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Tan after melanoma diagnosis? Confused.

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Tan after melanoma diagnosis? Confused.

Participant

I'm fairly new to melanoma skin cancer.  I haven't been on this website that often since my diagnosis was a stage 0 melanoma, and not that serious.  After reading a recent post on sun, I am wondering if my dermatologist is too relaxed about sun exposure??.  He did not comment at all on my tan lines at my annual skin examination.  He said be sun smart, but not paranoid and to prevent a sunburn, but did not say to prevent a tan.  I have a skin type that develops a deep bronzed tan even with spf protection on.  I have spent time searching the web and find

I'm fairly new to melanoma skin cancer.  I haven't been on this website that often since my diagnosis was a stage 0 melanoma, and not that serious.  After reading a recent post on sun, I am wondering if my dermatologist is too relaxed about sun exposure??.  He did not comment at all on my tan lines at my annual skin examination.  He said be sun smart, but not paranoid and to prevent a sunburn, but did not say to prevent a tan.  I have a skin type that develops a deep bronzed tan even with spf protection on.  I have spent time searching the web and find conflicting information.  I want to be smart, but I do still enjoy the sun.  Mind you, my tan is NOTHING like it was before.  I used to use baby oil and loved a burn and had very dark tan lines.  They are subtle now, but still there.  One of my kids has my skin type.  He freckles and tans very easily.  The others are fair like dad.  I put same sunblock on all.  My fairer children do not develop a burn nor do they tan.  The one like me tans through the sunblock.  Why is it so hard for my skin, and my one son, to avoid a tan, yet so easy for my fairer children?  What should I be doing?  It isn't practical to stay inside from 10-4.  That just won't happen.  Life would escape and we'd have been indoors all day.  Should I go to beach and pool from 10 -12 and avoid afternoon sun?  What is worse sun?  TIA!

Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Any color is damage to the skin – burn or bronze or a slight tan.  And while some color may/may not cause you to have another melanoma, it can and will cause premature skin aging (think leather skin).  It can also cause basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma (you are now at higher risk for those cancers too) which most likely won't kill you, but can cause disfigurement.  I have a friend who has larger/longer scars from removing her basal cell carcinomas than her WLEs for 3 melanoma primaries. 

Check the UV index in your area.  Most weather stations list it.  It's a pretty good indicator of when NOT to be out.  You might also consider rash guard shirts for your kids – especially when swimming when the UV index is high.  I know my dermatologist and his wife – also a dermatologist – use them on their kids.  Same with others here.  Your kids are at higher risk for melanoma given your history and sun habits.  Sunblock doesn't work all that well in water.  You need to apply a goodly amount (most people don't apply enough), reapply within 2 hours or even sooner if you have got your skin wet.  Coverups do a better job than sunblock any day for minimizing sun exposure.  The prime time for avoiding the sun is 11-3 pm.  That's when the UV index and your exposure to it are the greatest. 

Also, the best type of sunblock for you and your kids would contain titanium dioxide and zinc oxide.  These are physical sunblocks that block UVA as well as UVB radiation.  UVA seems to be implicated in melanoma.  Avobenzone also blocks both but is considered a chemical, not physical block.  If your sunblock doesn't contain one or more of these three ingredients, then you're buying the wrong kind.  I personally use the titanium/zinc combo.  While it might not rub in as well as other types (has a white cast), it works better than any other type for me. 

It's all about being sun smart.  But if you're laying out by the pool in a bikini and your kids see your behavior, it doesn't seem too "sun smart" to me.  It's not about changing all your habits – don't live in a cave – but doing what you want to do and doing it much smarter.  For me, covering up is easier and works better for me than endlessly reapplying sunblock.  I've been dealing with stage I melanoma for 19 years (3 primaries in that time).  I do all the things I used to do, I just do them wirh more clothes.  And if I can do them at a time not in the highest UV exposure times, I choose that. 

Best wishes,

Janner

mlbjab
            Participant

I'm not laying in the sun, our pool has as rule you have to be 10 feet from your children.  So I'm mostly in the water with them.  If they are out in the sun, I have to be.  But I certainly don't lay out or purposely get a tan! 

Janner
              Participant

Then the rash guard shirts seem like a very good idea.  They make them for kids and adults.  Sun safety rules!!!

Best wishes,

Janner

lhaley
                Participant

My dil bought them for my grandbaby. While skin is still exposed there isn't as much we have to cover with sunblock!!   She loves hats now so that has also helped.

Linda

lhaley
                  Participant

My dil bought them for my grandbaby. While skin is still exposed there isn't as much we have to cover with sunblock!!   She loves hats now so that has also helped.

Linda

Janner
                    Participant

Then the rash guard shirts seem like a very good idea.  They make them for kids and adults.  Sun safety rules!!!

Best wishes,

Janner

mlbjab
                      Participant

I'm not laying in the sun, our pool has as rule you have to be 10 feet from your children.  So I'm mostly in the water with them.  If they are out in the sun, I have to be.  But I certainly don't lay out or purposely get a tan! 

Janner
                      Participant

Any color is damage to the skin – burn or bronze or a slight tan.  And while some color may/may not cause you to have another melanoma, it can and will cause premature skin aging (think leather skin).  It can also cause basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma (you are now at higher risk for those cancers too) which most likely won't kill you, but can cause disfigurement.  I have a friend who has larger/longer scars from removing her basal cell carcinomas than her WLEs for 3 melanoma primaries. 

Check the UV index in your area.  Most weather stations list it.  It's a pretty good indicator of when NOT to be out.  You might also consider rash guard shirts for your kids – especially when swimming when the UV index is high.  I know my dermatologist and his wife – also a dermatologist – use them on their kids.  Same with others here.  Your kids are at higher risk for melanoma given your history and sun habits.  Sunblock doesn't work all that well in water.  You need to apply a goodly amount (most people don't apply enough), reapply within 2 hours or even sooner if you have got your skin wet.  Coverups do a better job than sunblock any day for minimizing sun exposure.  The prime time for avoiding the sun is 11-3 pm.  That's when the UV index and your exposure to it are the greatest. 

Also, the best type of sunblock for you and your kids would contain titanium dioxide and zinc oxide.  These are physical sunblocks that block UVA as well as UVB radiation.  UVA seems to be implicated in melanoma.  Avobenzone also blocks both but is considered a chemical, not physical block.  If your sunblock doesn't contain one or more of these three ingredients, then you're buying the wrong kind.  I personally use the titanium/zinc combo.  While it might not rub in as well as other types (has a white cast), it works better than any other type for me. 

It's all about being sun smart.  But if you're laying out by the pool in a bikini and your kids see your behavior, it doesn't seem too "sun smart" to me.  It's not about changing all your habits – don't live in a cave – but doing what you want to do and doing it much smarter.  For me, covering up is easier and works better for me than endlessly reapplying sunblock.  I've been dealing with stage I melanoma for 19 years (3 primaries in that time).  I do all the things I used to do, I just do them wirh more clothes.  And if I can do them at a time not in the highest UV exposure times, I choose that. 

Best wishes,

Janner

RMcLegal
                        Participant

Sounds to me like you've had a warning shot fired over your bow, and you ought to pay attention to it and avoid further summer tans.  Trust me, you don't ever want to undergo a wide local excision, lymph node removal, and chemotherapy.  That doesn't mean you have to hide indoors– just wear sunscreen and don't lay out in the midday sun.  I still ski, hike, play golf etc. outdoors, and even enjoy a pool or beach from a shady spot.  But I do these things wearing sunscreen, a cap, and a bit of sunprotective clothing.  Be just a bit careful, and in the long run you'll look younger and stay healthier.  Best wishes.

Rich

http://www.hotelmelanoma.blogspot.com

Lisa13
                            Participant

You should definately enjoy summer and all it has to offer – including the sun – with or without melanoma.  I was an avid sun worshipper and I'm as white as I've ever been.  I still go outside, but I wear block instead of bronzer – 30-60 SPF and I'm not out for hours and hours. I might have an hour of sun and then sit in the shade. I also wear a hat and watch my skin.  I know longer sit outside and "grab a tan", but I do walk around the park, etc with my daughter. I slathered her in 60 SPF or higher because I know she is 50% more likely to get melanoma, so I need to instill the need for sunscreen at a very early age.

I agree with Rich – you can still enjoy all the wonderful things life has to offer, just be safe about it and don't bask in the sun like you used to.   If I could turn back time, I'd never be dealing with this beast in the first place.

Lisa

Lisa13
                              Participant

You should definately enjoy summer and all it has to offer – including the sun – with or without melanoma.  I was an avid sun worshipper and I'm as white as I've ever been.  I still go outside, but I wear block instead of bronzer – 30-60 SPF and I'm not out for hours and hours. I might have an hour of sun and then sit in the shade. I also wear a hat and watch my skin.  I know longer sit outside and "grab a tan", but I do walk around the park, etc with my daughter. I slathered her in 60 SPF or higher because I know she is 50% more likely to get melanoma, so I need to instill the need for sunscreen at a very early age.

I agree with Rich – you can still enjoy all the wonderful things life has to offer, just be safe about it and don't bask in the sun like you used to.   If I could turn back time, I'd never be dealing with this beast in the first place.

Lisa

RMcLegal
                              Participant

Sounds to me like you've had a warning shot fired over your bow, and you ought to pay attention to it and avoid further summer tans.  Trust me, you don't ever want to undergo a wide local excision, lymph node removal, and chemotherapy.  That doesn't mean you have to hide indoors– just wear sunscreen and don't lay out in the midday sun.  I still ski, hike, play golf etc. outdoors, and even enjoy a pool or beach from a shady spot.  But I do these things wearing sunscreen, a cap, and a bit of sunprotective clothing.  Be just a bit careful, and in the long run you'll look younger and stay healthier.  Best wishes.

Rich

http://www.hotelmelanoma.blogspot.com

JerryfromFauq
                                Participant

Number ONE item.  Do not get BURNS.  I tan very easily, but do not burn.  My melanoma location did not see the sun and certainly never got burned.  I do not avoid the sun.  I do ask my grandkids to cover up and to use sunblock and to avoid gettiing even really red from the sun.  No one knows what causes melanoma, but a high probability in most cases does seem to relate to sunburns.  Live life and enjoy it, don't be paranoiod, but do smart aboout not overdoing   the sun.  Todays environment and the things like "Pink Slime" that is allowed in our food supply can well be related to the rates of cancer.  If chemicals can be used to fight cancer mutations isn't it likely that other chemicals can helpm set up the caanscer mutations?

JerryfromFauq
                                  Participant

Number ONE item.  Do not get BURNS.  I tan very easily, but do not burn.  My melanoma location did not see the sun and certainly never got burned.  I do not avoid the sun.  I do ask my grandkids to cover up and to use sunblock and to avoid gettiing even really red from the sun.  No one knows what causes melanoma, but a high probability in most cases does seem to relate to sunburns.  Live life and enjoy it, don't be paranoiod, but do smart aboout not overdoing   the sun.  Todays environment and the things like "Pink Slime" that is allowed in our food supply can well be related to the rates of cancer.  If chemicals can be used to fight cancer mutations isn't it likely that other chemicals can helpm set up the caanscer mutations?

DeniseK
                                    Participant

Melanoma can be caused by the sun and getting sun burned.  My mole went crazy after a bad sunburn so that's a fact!  The other fact is that the sun offers us all a very well needed Vitamin D that also helps our bodies fight cancer.  My doctor recommended 10-15 minutes a day with sunscreen!  It's ironic!! Anyway the key is being sun smart! 

Happy swimming!! 🙂

DeniseK
                                      Participant

Melanoma can be caused by the sun and getting sun burned.  My mole went crazy after a bad sunburn so that's a fact!  The other fact is that the sun offers us all a very well needed Vitamin D that also helps our bodies fight cancer.  My doctor recommended 10-15 minutes a day with sunscreen!  It's ironic!! Anyway the key is being sun smart! 

Happy swimming!! 🙂

CLPrice31
                                        Participant

As a 24 year old beach loving stage III melanoma diva, I strongly advise you to take advantage of the warning you received. You are one of the lucky ones. Trust me, a little adjusting to your new lifestyle is much more simple than adjusting to your new lifestyle + numerous PAINFUL surgeries that leave scary scars + months of treatment + a lifetime of "well the melanoma spread to my organs." If I could go back in time, I would be the palest chick on the beach. Check out my blog if you want to see the pictures of what my love of the sun did for me….

I know it's a huge change–I still wake up in the morning & think, "Today is the perfect day to spend all day in my beach chair." Then I get hit with the harsh reality that the one activity that relaxed me the most is the one that turned my entire life upside down.

Best wishes.

CLPrice31
                                          Participant

As a 24 year old beach loving stage III melanoma diva, I strongly advise you to take advantage of the warning you received. You are one of the lucky ones. Trust me, a little adjusting to your new lifestyle is much more simple than adjusting to your new lifestyle + numerous PAINFUL surgeries that leave scary scars + months of treatment + a lifetime of "well the melanoma spread to my organs." If I could go back in time, I would be the palest chick on the beach. Check out my blog if you want to see the pictures of what my love of the sun did for me….

I know it's a huge change–I still wake up in the morning & think, "Today is the perfect day to spend all day in my beach chair." Then I get hit with the harsh reality that the one activity that relaxed me the most is the one that turned my entire life upside down.

Best wishes.

Viewing 9 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics