The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

taking new combined drug Mekinist & Tafinlar after taking Zelboraf

Forums General Melanoma Community taking new combined drug Mekinist & Tafinlar after taking Zelboraf

Participant

My sister has Metastatic Melanoma diagnosed in November 2013 ~ she had numerous tumors / nodules all over her torso, spine, pelvic and ribs. She began taking Zelboraf the end of November and had great success for a few months. Four weeks ago she started finding knots re-appearing on her back and sides. Her oncologist did confirm that the Zelboraf has ran its run and is no longer as effective as hoped (5 1/2 months). He has now started her on the new approved combined drugs of Mekinist & Tafinlar (started today!) I was wondering if anyone has been through this process of taking the combined drug after taking Zelboraf and if so what are the thoughts of the success of this combination. I know it is newly approved and neither drug has been out of clinical trials very long ~ but we are just curious as to what we should expect. Her doctor told her at the "worse" prognosis would be weeks to a couple of months – "best" at a couple of years ~ but his thought of an "average" for her prognosis would be 6-9 months. Thank you for anyone that may have thoughts or experiences to share with this new chemotherapy!!!!! God Bless! 

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies

Dear Pennie,

I disagree with your sister's doctor telling her how long she has as if he is Merlin or has infused wisdom. I had mets all over also, but a big barnacle of a tumor on my ilium, and lots of them inside my lungs. I am one of the cohorts in the Tafinlar and Melinist trials and took my first pills on December 28, 2010. My tumors melted and have never returned. Your sister needs her auto-immune working well to help the meds. She hit the jackpot with her BRAF positive genome and I think she, and you, should be very hopeful. Stop all the fear, worry, and stress, and concentrate on hope gratitude and vigilance, the rest is just useless baggage. This is the best time to have melanoma since it was first described long ago. 

My cohorts and I are still in the trial, while we test the combo's durability, and from what I see, those who remain are "on the fight" and not on the run from this damnable disease.  We helped bring the drugs to her, and now I think we should also bring the survivor's attitude also. Please tell her, and her doctor, that this is a whole new ball game and the winners seem to be the warriors who keep their spirit intact. When it was hard, like a lung biopsy, or when the meds caused us to shake, sweat, or feel like a cry, I kept thinking about the box they would put us in, the vault of concrete above it, and how they compact the dirt on top of the whole thing, and wonder how I would feel then. All of a sudden a headache and other trifles seemed just fine to me.

Yes it may still kill me, but I think not. If it fails in the future for me, so what? It was a fantastic link to keep me living, almost as I did before, while we wait for a third drug to be developed to help the first two, or switch to another  modality like anti-PD 1 in combo. These trials are in progress now, and her doctor has no idea of how well they might work on your sister, or if she even will need them, as many of us are very happy taking Smith and Wesson pills and living our lives. Fair play and good fortune to her, and, as for her doctor I say, "To the mind of the fool, all things have been revealed."

arthurjedi007
          Participant

Dear John Patrick Michael,

I'm also on these meds. First was zel then ipi now these.

You mentioned she needs her auto-immune system working well to help the meds. Any advice on how to do that would be appreciated.

Arthur, I know we are all different. Some look at death as a new beginning, and some, like me, look at it as total annaliation. I might have to go a Hell that one or another of the gods made for us, but I doubt it. I just let them run the heavens. So my mindset was all or nothing, literally.

The whole idea is to keep hope. Not like hoping to win the lottery, but real hope, evidence based hope. Once you have that gratitude comes to the picture. I don't think I should have this hope if I wasn't grateful for it. I just am thankful that I have hope and concentrate on the fact that I am OK today,  and stay vigilant as we have a treacherous foe.  I also think I should pass on this hope, as I know the feeling of forsaken when I didn't have it. Keep busy, be pleasant, jump in puddles, just be happy to be alive and "on the fight."

Arthur, I know we are all different. Some look at death as a new beginning, and some, like me, look at it as total annaliation. I might have to go a Hell that one or another of the gods made for us, but I doubt it. I just let them run the heavens. So my mindset was all or nothing, literally.

The whole idea is to keep hope. Not like hoping to win the lottery, but real hope, evidence based hope. Once you have that gratitude comes to the picture. I don't think I should have this hope if I wasn't grateful for it. I just am thankful that I have hope and concentrate on the fact that I am OK today,  and stay vigilant as we have a treacherous foe.  I also think I should pass on this hope, as I know the feeling of forsaken when I didn't have it. Keep busy, be pleasant, jump in puddles, just be happy to be alive and "on the fight."

arthurjedi007
            Participant

You mentioned she needs her auto-immune system working well to help the meds. Any advice on how to do that would be appreciated.

arthurjedi007
              Participant

Dear Pennie,

I disagree with your sister's doctor telling her how long she has as if he is Merlin or has infused wisdom. I had mets all over also, but a big barnacle of a tumor on my ilium, and lots of them inside my lungs. I am one of the cohorts in the Tafinlar and Melinist trials and took my first pills on December 28, 2010. My tumors melted and have never returned. Your sister needs her auto-immune working well to help the meds. She hit the jackpot with her BRAF positive genome and I think she, and you, should be very hopeful. Stop all the fear, worry, and stress, and concentrate on hope gratitude and vigilance, the rest is just useless baggage. This is the best time to have melanoma since it was first described long ago. 

My cohorts and I are still in the trial, while we test the combo's durability, and from what I see, those who remain are "on the fight" and not on the run from this damnable disease.  We helped bring the drugs to her, and now I think we should also bring the survivor's attitude also. Please tell her, and her doctor, that this is a whole new ball game and the winners seem to be the warriors who keep their spirit intact. When it was hard, like a lung biopsy, or when the meds caused us to shake, sweat, or feel like a cry, I kept thinking about the box they would put us in, the vault of concrete above it, and how they compact the dirt on top of the whole thing, and wonder how I would feel then. All of a sudden a headache and other trifles seemed just fine to me.

Yes it may still kill me, but I think not. If it fails in the future for me, so what? It was a fantastic link to keep me living, almost as I did before, while we wait for a third drug to be developed to help the first two, or switch to another  modality like anti-PD 1 in combo. These trials are in progress now, and her doctor has no idea of how well they might work on your sister, or if she even will need them, as many of us are very happy taking Smith and Wesson pills and living our lives. Fair play and good fortune to her, and, as for her doctor I say, "To the mind of the fool, all things have been revealed."

Dear Pennie,

Bubbles
              Participant

Hi Pennie,

I am sorry that your sister (and you) are having to deal with all of this.  I have not taken these particular medications personally, but recently posted several articles related to BRAF inhibitors….what they are, how they work, the new combo's http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/02/braf-inhibitors-for-melanoma-dabrafenib.html

You can check out the link if you like.  But the bit that may be most important to you and your sister is this quote from an article by Flarhety et al….in a study where folks who progressed on a single BRAF inhibitor were then given the combo:

"Additionally, in the Part B expansion cohort of patients with prior disease progression during [single] BRAF inhibitor treatment, an impressive 19% response rate was seen with CombiDT therapy."

Wishing you both my very best.  Yours, Celeste

Bubbles
                Participant

Hi Pennie,

I am sorry that your sister (and you) are having to deal with all of this.  I have not taken these particular medications personally, but recently posted several articles related to BRAF inhibitors….what they are, how they work, the new combo's http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/02/braf-inhibitors-for-melanoma-dabrafenib.html

You can check out the link if you like.  But the bit that may be most important to you and your sister is this quote from an article by Flarhety et al….in a study where folks who progressed on a single BRAF inhibitor were then given the combo:

"Additionally, in the Part B expansion cohort of patients with prior disease progression during [single] BRAF inhibitor treatment, an impressive 19% response rate was seen with CombiDT therapy."

Bubbles
                  Participant

Hi Pennie,

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics