The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Taking a break from Interferon

Forums General Melanoma Community Taking a break from Interferon

Participant

I am stage IIIC melanoma with unknown primary.  I have been taken Interferon since November 2012.  Overall I have done fine with the exception of being wiped out (tired) and a little weight loss.  I haven't had the energy to exercise.  I am seriously considering taking off for the spring/summer.  As I understand, Interferon has not been proven to extend overall survival rates.  I have come to the opinion that I have a better chance of survival if I am not worn down and unable to stay active.

Wishing everyone well.

I am stage IIIC melanoma with unknown primary.  I have been taken Interferon since November 2012.  Overall I have done fine with the exception of being wiped out (tired) and a little weight loss.  I haven't had the energy to exercise.  I am seriously considering taking off for the spring/summer.  As I understand, Interferon has not been proven to extend overall survival rates.  I have come to the opinion that I have a better chance of survival if I am not worn down and unable to stay active.

Wishing everyone well.

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Fen
        Participant

I stopped after 6 months and never regretted it.  The data isn't strong and I had a terrible time with it – I was in a wheelchair towards the end.  For me, there have been long term cognitive and emotional side effects (just my subjective opinion).  Whatever you decide to do don't look back.  I have been NED since then.   Good luck!

Fen

Wolverine
            Participant

Thank you very much Fen.  

Wolverine
              Participant

Thank you very much Fen.  

Wolverine
                Participant

Thank you very much Fen.  

Fen
                Participant

I stopped after 6 months and never regretted it.  The data isn't strong and I had a terrible time with it – I was in a wheelchair towards the end.  For me, there have been long term cognitive and emotional side effects (just my subjective opinion).  Whatever you decide to do don't look back.  I have been NED since then.   Good luck!

Fen

Fen
                  Participant

Fen

Hstevens0072
                    Participant
                      I did the full year… And was diagnosed stage 4 13 months later. I don’t regret doing the interferon but I wonder sometimes if it was worth it. It is a tough row to hoe.
                      Best of luck with whatever you decide.
                      Holly
                      Hstevens0072
                      Participant
                        I did the full year… And was diagnosed stage 4 13 months later. I don’t regret doing the interferon but I wonder sometimes if it was worth it. It is a tough row to hoe.
                        Holly
                        Hstevens0072
                        Participant
                          Holly
                          ncdaniel
                          Participant

Wolvrine, My wife electeced not to do interferon at all since the chance of good results seem questionable. At the U of M ( Michigan) we were told 10% effective at best with some studies suggesting more in the 2% range. I would study this a lot.

Go Bucks , NC Daniel

ncdaniel
                            Participant

Wolvrine, My wife electeced not to do interferon at all since the chance of good results seem questionable. At the U of M ( Michigan) we were told 10% effective at best with some studies suggesting more in the 2% range. I would study this a lot.

Go Bucks , NC Daniel

ncdaniel
                              Participant

Go Bucks , NC Daniel

Viewing 8 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics