The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Take the Good News You Can Get -(I have a plan)

Forums General Melanoma Community Take the Good News You Can Get -(I have a plan)

Participant

I've learned that medical professionals (doctors, nurses, techs, etc) can say things/react in ways that are either comforting or upsetting. Regardless, I do think what and how they communicate is a method of them to personally cope and provide perspective.  

So, while having a recurrence in multiple lymph nodes in my groin is not what I was "expecting" since my successful BRAF treatment & Keytruda – all my PET CT and MRI scans showed it is the only area affected. Along the way in the past week, one of the doctors said "you take the good news you can get."

At the interdiscplinary hospital I go to, my case made it to the tumor board – wherein multiple doctors from different disciplines discussed a recommended approach.  They determined I am going to follow a 3 step protocol (1) immediately go back to Taf/Mek pills to bring down groin until surgery (2) have groin surgery to get the melanoma out (3) follow-up/continue with Keytruda infusions.

I learned that this recurrence was actually different lymph nodes than those affected in Nov 2016, but part of the same region/lymphatic system in the groin.  The working hypothesis is that the Keytruda may actually be working (since the previous hypermetabolic nodes are 'dead' & melanoma not showing up elsewhere), but apparently there are some PD1 pathways that do not respond as well to Keytruda.  My doctor indicated he had seen other patients where certain tumors respond and others don't – I know several on this board have this experience.  At this point, hopefully removal of the problematic area will help me in the future…

So, I realize surgery is a huge undertaking and of course potential recovery/lymphadema – but I agreed this was the path to go on.  They said if after surgery I have another recurrence, we will then evaluate how to best target the area(s) or try out ipi/nivo again.  

It is interesting to learn from everyone on why doctors are making certain treatment decisions at specific points in time.  

Thanks for the good wishes in the prior thread.  

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        sister of patient
        Participant

Hi J. – How cool that your case came in front of that board – a bit of a bonus to have many giving their thoughts and opinions. I sincerely hope the surgery is the end of it for you!! Best wishes for your recovery from the surgery and getting rid of this demon permanently!!!!!

Barb

J.bun
            Participant

Barb – I really appreciate your good wishes. THANK YOU! 

Viewing 0 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics