The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Take a look

Forums General Melanoma Community Take a look

Participant

I know that no one can diagnose a lesion on the internet.  I know the only way to determine if it is a serious problem is to have a biopsy.  However, I'm going to ask anyway.  My husband has had multiple primaries, none of which required SNL.  About a month ago, he had a nodule pop up.  It has continued to grow, and appears ulcerated.  

How common would it be for a person to have had superficial spreading melanomas but then have an amenolotic nodular melanoma?  Or does a sub-q ever present in this manner?  Maybe I'm being too paranoid, and this is nothing but a benign lesion or a squamous.  My husband has an appointment with the dermatologist at the end of February and doesn't want to reschedule for earlier due to a hectic travel schedule.  Based on the appearance of this thing, should I insist he get to the doctor sooner than later?

http://s102.photobucket.com/user/casagrayson/media/IMG_2717.jpg.html

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        _Paul_
        Participant

Susan, that link took me to a page for a free gift card.

_Paul_
          Participant

casagrayson
              Participant

LOL.  I'm not handing out free gift cards for responses.  I'm not sure why it did that; it seems to work for me even if I log out of photobucket.  Sorry.

casagrayson
                Participant

LOL.  I'm not handing out free gift cards for responses.  I'm not sure why it did that; it seems to work for me even if I log out of photobucket.  Sorry.

casagrayson
                  Participant

_Paul_
                  Participant

JustMeInCA
                    Participant

Hi, Susan —

My dad was diagnosed with both a superficial spreading melanoma on his shoulder and a amelanotic nodular melanoma on his leg. Your photo does look suspicious (no gift card for me!), though it could be anything. I'd push him to be seen sooner rather than later. 

Elaine

JustMeInCA
                      Participant

Hi, Susan —

My dad was diagnosed with both a superficial spreading melanoma on his shoulder and a amelanotic nodular melanoma on his leg. Your photo does look suspicious (no gift card for me!), though it could be anything. I'd push him to be seen sooner rather than later. 

Elaine

JustMeInCA
                        Participant

Hi, Susan —

Elaine

casagrayson
                            Participant

It looks very suspicious to me, too.  Do you know if a sub-q could have this look?

casagrayson
                              Participant

It looks very suspicious to me, too.  Do you know if a sub-q could have this look?

JustMeInCA
                                Participant

Honestly, I don't know since my dad had no sub-qs  beyond the tumor on his leg. I'm wondering, though, if it could be a basal cell. 

JustMeInCA
                                  Participant

Honestly, I don't know since my dad had no sub-qs  beyond the tumor on his leg. I'm wondering, though, if it could be a basal cell. 

JustMeInCA
                                    Participant

cancersnewnormal
                                      Participant

I can't speak for all subQ's… but I've had three… and they all looked like someone had slipped a pea or a kidney bean (depending upon size) under the skin. They had no distinctive marks, color, or notable surface structure. I had one near my right breast that actually showed up on a mammogram, having the docs initially think I had breast cancer….. until I made them aware of my stage IV melanoma status. The other two were on my left forearm and the left side of my back, just below the shoulder blade. Looked just like a lump under the skin…. a slowly growing lump.

cancersnewnormal
                                        Participant

I can't speak for all subQ's… but I've had three… and they all looked like someone had slipped a pea or a kidney bean (depending upon size) under the skin. They had no distinctive marks, color, or notable surface structure. I had one near my right breast that actually showed up on a mammogram, having the docs initially think I had breast cancer….. until I made them aware of my stage IV melanoma status. The other two were on my left forearm and the left side of my back, just below the shoulder blade. Looked just like a lump under the skin…. a slowly growing lump.

cancersnewnormal
                                          Participant

casagrayson
                                            Participant

KMick
                                            Participant

My melanoma was an amelonotic nodular type.  It appeared from an existing flat, round, tan to pink mole that grew up and out.  The biggest thing was it changed; it became tender, continued to get extremely scaley / ugly and would bleed if I messed with it.  Don't know if this helps.

I too was the gift card winner, lol.

Karen

KMick
                                              Participant

My melanoma was an amelonotic nodular type.  It appeared from an existing flat, round, tan to pink mole that grew up and out.  The biggest thing was it changed; it became tender, continued to get extremely scaley / ugly and would bleed if I messed with it.  Don't know if this helps.

Karen

KMick
                                                Participant

Karen

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics