The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Tafinlar/Mekinist combo – side affects – question?

Forums General Melanoma Community Tafinlar/Mekinist combo – side affects – question?

Participant

Just wondering when the Tafinlar/Mekinist side affects are going to start? I'm like day 6 and nothing which is good. But when I was on Zelboraf I already had fevers, rash from head to neck, etc.

Oh and yeah I'm still walking 🙂 It's difficult now with the tumor pressing on the spinal cord but at least I got to a different local hospital. Same place that did radiation last summer in that spot. The radiation oncologist is trying his best to keep me from being paralyzed. I'm quite happy with him. We'll probably start his radiation plan Friday. Either that or I give this med a chance to work. I dunno for sure yet. But at least I'm still walking. hehe. Had to cancel my trips to MSK and Sarah Cannon but I'll get there eventually. Just gotta get this spot stabalized.

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        Aussielyn
        Participant

My side effects didn't kick in till around the 6 week mark. Up till then I only experienced mild sensations of warm/hot hands & feet & mild aching legs – nothing that required painkillers. At 6 weeks I had fever, mouth ulcers , dehydration, & painful legs. Ended up having Dabrafenib dose reduced and a course of prednisone . Have been fine ever since & pretty much live life as I used to. Even rocked along at a bruce Springsteen concert on the weekend ! I am NED now – started my treatment last August. So keep up the hopes & ride it out if you experience some bumps along the way. Some people hardly have any trouble at all.

wishing you all the best & a great response.

lyn

Aussielyn
          Participant

My side effects didn't kick in till around the 6 week mark. Up till then I only experienced mild sensations of warm/hot hands & feet & mild aching legs – nothing that required painkillers. At 6 weeks I had fever, mouth ulcers , dehydration, & painful legs. Ended up having Dabrafenib dose reduced and a course of prednisone . Have been fine ever since & pretty much live life as I used to. Even rocked along at a bruce Springsteen concert on the weekend ! I am NED now – started my treatment last August. So keep up the hopes & ride it out if you experience some bumps along the way. Some people hardly have any trouble at all.

lyn

Aussielyn
            Participant

lyn

Bubbles
              Participant

I have never taken these meds so I can't speak from that perspective…but the data demonstrates the supposed beauty of the combo…is that benefits are greater…and side effects are less…with the combo…than with single meds alone.  Hoping so much that that will be the case for you!!!   C

Bubbles
                Participant

I have never taken these meds so I can't speak from that perspective…but the data demonstrates the supposed beauty of the combo…is that benefits are greater…and side effects are less…with the combo…than with single meds alone.  Hoping so much that that will be the case for you!!!   C

Bubbles
                  Participant

ecc26
                    Participant

Been on the combo since mid December and have yet to have any side effects (I think). I've had an increase in acne most likely due to extra dry skin that isn't exfoliating well, but that could also just be winter. I have to really scrub my face every day to keep it at bay. Otherwise, no side effects at all. I wouldn't wait too long for them. I have a feeling if you get any you'll know and can talk to your doctor about them. I hope these work for you. I didn't get any noticable response in my subQ's until around 6 or 7 days, then things went down really fast. Hopefully in the next couple of days you start noticing a change as well.

Good luck with the radiation

ecc26
                      Participant

Been on the combo since mid December and have yet to have any side effects (I think). I've had an increase in acne most likely due to extra dry skin that isn't exfoliating well, but that could also just be winter. I have to really scrub my face every day to keep it at bay. Otherwise, no side effects at all. I wouldn't wait too long for them. I have a feeling if you get any you'll know and can talk to your doctor about them. I hope these work for you. I didn't get any noticable response in my subQ's until around 6 or 7 days, then things went down really fast. Hopefully in the next couple of days you start noticing a change as well.

ecc26
                        Participant

arthurjedi007
                            Participant

Thank you every one for the replies.

arthurjedi007
                              Participant

arthurjedi007
                                Participant

sgrain
                                Participant

I started the combo on January 31 (about 5 weeks ago) and didn't have any side effects until the 5th week.  I started getting severe chills, rash, and liver levels went way up.  Doctor pulled me off meds last Wednesday and will check labs tomorrow. Have felt wonderful the last few days so am sure it's the meds.  Not sure what next step is but I hope to get back on it, maybe at a lower dose.  Good luck and I hope you continue to have minimum side effects.

sandy

sgrain
                                  Participant

I started the combo on January 31 (about 5 weeks ago) and didn't have any side effects until the 5th week.  I started getting severe chills, rash, and liver levels went way up.  Doctor pulled me off meds last Wednesday and will check labs tomorrow. Have felt wonderful the last few days so am sure it's the meds.  Not sure what next step is but I hope to get back on it, maybe at a lower dose.  Good luck and I hope you continue to have minimum side effects.

sandy

sgrain
                                      Participant

Hi Sandy,

I have been on the "combo" since January 31 and started experiencing the chills and liver level increases a month later.  Like you, my doctor pulled me off the drugs  until March 12 when my levels were more normal.  He then put me back on dabrafenib only for a couple weeks and then added only 1/2 dose of mekinist.  I got the chills again and took another break.  I'm now trying 1/2 dose of each drug in the hopes that I can tolerate them at lower doses.  I have several lung nodules, all of which have decreased in size and metabolic activity (PET done last week) so I am determined to find a way to stay on this.  I guess what I'm saying is talk to your doctor about trying different doses.  It really seems to be working for me.  Good luck!

Sandy

sgrain
                                        Participant

Hi Sandy,

I have been on the "combo" since January 31 and started experiencing the chills and liver level increases a month later.  Like you, my doctor pulled me off the drugs  until March 12 when my levels were more normal.  He then put me back on dabrafenib only for a couple weeks and then added only 1/2 dose of mekinist.  I got the chills again and took another break.  I'm now trying 1/2 dose of each drug in the hopes that I can tolerate them at lower doses.  I have several lung nodules, all of which have decreased in size and metabolic activity (PET done last week) so I am determined to find a way to stay on this.  I guess what I'm saying is talk to your doctor about trying different doses.  It really seems to be working for me.  Good luck!

Sandy

sgrain
                                          Participant

Hi Sandy,

Sandy

sgrain
                                            Participant

Hi Sandy,

Sandy

sgrain
                                              Participant

Hi Sandy,

Sandy

sgrain
                                                Participant

Hi Sandy,

Sandy

sgrain
                                                Participant

sandy

bj63
                                                  Participant

The best case scenario is that you might have no side effects at all or side effects that are pretty mild.  The combo is much less harsh in that regard than the Zelboraf was, at least for me.  I have some increased fatigue, which I also had with the Zelboraf, and increased digestive sensitivity, particularly to any foods that are spicy.

I was on the vemurafenib for a little over a year, NED, before developing brain mets.  After undergoing WBR, I switched to the dabrafenib in December, with the addition of the tramatenib at the end of January, soon after it was FDA approved. So I've been on the combo for about six weeks after about six weeks on dabrafenib alone.

II had a bunch of side effects with the Zelboraf, including bouts of iritis / uveitis in my left eye, random joint and foot pains, alopecia on most of my body (and my eyebrows), rash, visible changes in my skin, etc.  But now, after three months off of it, many of the effects from the Zelboraf seem to be reversing themselves.  The hair on my arms, chest, and eyebrows has started to grow back, and so far I've not had any of the random aches or joint pains that I had with the Zelboraf.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you can get that spot stabilized.

bj63
                                                    Participant

The best case scenario is that you might have no side effects at all or side effects that are pretty mild.  The combo is much less harsh in that regard than the Zelboraf was, at least for me.  I have some increased fatigue, which I also had with the Zelboraf, and increased digestive sensitivity, particularly to any foods that are spicy.

I was on the vemurafenib for a little over a year, NED, before developing brain mets.  After undergoing WBR, I switched to the dabrafenib in December, with the addition of the tramatenib at the end of January, soon after it was FDA approved. So I've been on the combo for about six weeks after about six weeks on dabrafenib alone.

II had a bunch of side effects with the Zelboraf, including bouts of iritis / uveitis in my left eye, random joint and foot pains, alopecia on most of my body (and my eyebrows), rash, visible changes in my skin, etc.  But now, after three months off of it, many of the effects from the Zelboraf seem to be reversing themselves.  The hair on my arms, chest, and eyebrows has started to grow back, and so far I've not had any of the random aches or joint pains that I had with the Zelboraf.

bj63
                                                      Participant

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics