The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Tafinlar, Mekinist approved for metastatic melanoma treatment in Canada

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Tafinlar, Mekinist approved for metastatic melanoma treatment in Canada

Participant

Dabrafenib and trametinib have been approved by Health Canada for treating patients with unresectable or metastatic melanoma, manufacturer GlaxoSmithKline announced today.

Dabrafenib and trametinib have been approved by Health Canada for treating patients with unresectable or metastatic melanoma, manufacturer GlaxoSmithKline announced today.

Dabrafenib (Tafinlar), a BRAF inhibitor, and trametinib (Mekinist), a MEK inhibitor, are each indicated as monotherapy oral treatment for patients with BRAF V600 mutation, according to a press release. A validated test to identify BRAF V600 mutation status is required.

Available dosage will be 50 mg and 75 mg capsules for dabrafenib and 0.5 mg and 2.0 mg tablets for Mekinist, according to GlaxoSmithKline (GSK).

“Health Canada’s approval of Tafinlar and Mekinist represent an important step in GSK’s ongoing effort to bring new treatment options to cancer patients as quickly and efficiently as possible,” Rav Kumar, PhD, vice president of R&D Operations/Business Development, GSK Canada, said in the release.

Earlier this month, GSK announced it had submitted supplemental New Drug Applications to the FDA for dabrafenib in combination with trametinib as therapy for metastatic or unresectable melanoma. The FDA announced in May that it had approved dabrafenib to treat patients whose tumors express BRAF V600E gene mutation and trametinib for patients whose tumors express BRAF V600E or V600K gene mutations. The drugs were not approved as combination therapy.

http://www.healio.com/dermatology/cutaneous-oncology/news/online/%7BADD7F996-016D-41AE-9A83-99D52920A274%7D/Tafinlar-Mekinist-approved-for-metastatic-melanoma-treatment-in-Canada

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        There it is! This came as a result of my trial, and those that came before. What a great feeling! Soon it should be approved as a combo here in the US. I think our trial was set up for two years, but many of us are doing real well after we hit the two year mark. To see where we would be without the combo, Google “NYT melanoma Flaherty” and read the three part story of the first ten heroes who only had the BRAF inhibitor. Since so many of us are undead they now did a “rollover” and now I think it will not end until they have complete morbidity. I plan on dying from something else, so long as GSK keeps giving us those special pills and capsules. Today marks the 945th day this fourth stager has survived, and thrived on their life prolonging meds. You should be proud GSK. I have no way to properly thank you and your talented researchers.
        There it is! This came as a result of my trial, and those that came before. What a great feeling! Soon it should be approved as a combo here in the US. I think our trial was set up for two years, but many of us are doing real well after we hit the two year mark. To see where we would be without the combo, Google “NYT melanoma Flaherty” and read the three part story of the first ten heroes who only had the BRAF inhibitor. Since so many of us are undead they now did a “rollover” and now I think it will not end until they have complete morbidity. I plan on dying from something else, so long as GSK keeps giving us those special pills and capsules. Today marks the 945th day this fourth stager has survived, and thrived on their life prolonging meds. You should be proud GSK. I have no way to properly thank you and your talented researchers.
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics