The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

TAF/MEK combination and when to switch if working?

Forums General Melanoma Community TAF/MEK combination and when to switch if working?

Participant

Hello all, I am on the Taf/Mek combination since early November and it is working well, only have a few spots left.  I know this treatment usually works for about 10 months then Mel finds a new way around.  Here is my question, for any of those that have had durable responses to Taf/mek combination, did all your tumors disappear right away?  are you still on TAf/Mek? I am just wondering when to get off and get onto an immunotherapy. I was on Keutruda but had progression.  i know that they are bringing in immunotherapy with the taf/mek also.

Thanks for any insight!

Dave

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        jamieth29
        Participant
          Hey Dave,
          Not sure what the answer is for exactly when to quit but i know you want to do before you become resistant. From what i have read the cancer seems to get more aggressive one it finds a different pathway. I have been on combo since mid August and have surgery dec 30th after surgery my doctor is pulling me off of combo. He initially only wanted me on it for 2 months but we had to get 2 surgeons together for surgery and dec 30th was the soonest i could get in. I think I have had a complete response but i only had 1 lymph node and a area of in transit spots on my leg that were where my original mole was located. My last ct showed the iliac node went from 18mm to 7mm from Aug 17 to sept 17th and the spots on my leg shrunk to tiny black dots. My doctor said that is the pigment left behind when the melanoma cells die. I’m hoping when the pathology from surgery comes back its all necrotic. I also was very curious about the combo with immunotherapy. Good luck!
            davekarrie
            Participant

Thanks, yeah I always wonder when to switch to another drug because as I understand it, if it works and you switch to another drug, then you could go back to it before you become resistant to it. I would think if you stay on it and progress then going back to the combo would be fruitless. So many questions and it all seems to be about timing these meds.  I am respoinding well and only have 1 lung met that barely lit up on pet and went from 6cm in Nov to about 2cm now.

davekarrie
              Participant

Thanks, yeah I always wonder when to switch to another drug because as I understand it, if it works and you switch to another drug, then you could go back to it before you become resistant to it. I would think if you stay on it and progress then going back to the combo would be fruitless. So many questions and it all seems to be about timing these meds.  I am respoinding well and only have 1 lung met that barely lit up on pet and went from 6cm in Nov to about 2cm now.

davekarrie
                Participant

jamieth29
                Participant
                  Hey Dave,
                  Not sure what the answer is for exactly when to quit but i know you want to do before you become resistant. From what i have read the cancer seems to get more aggressive one it finds a different pathway. I have been on combo since mid August and have surgery dec 30th after surgery my doctor is pulling me off of combo. He initially only wanted me on it for 2 months but we had to get 2 surgeons together for surgery and dec 30th was the soonest i could get in. I think I have had a complete response but i only had 1 lymph node and a area of in transit spots on my leg that were where my original mole was located. My last ct showed the iliac node went from 18mm to 7mm from Aug 17 to sept 17th and the spots on my leg shrunk to tiny black dots. My doctor said that is the pigment left behind when the melanoma cells die. I’m hoping when the pathology from surgery comes back its all necrotic. I also was very curious about the combo with immunotherapy. Good luck!
                  jamieth29
                  Participant
                    Hey Dave,
                Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics