The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Symptoms of Pleural Effusion

Forums General Melanoma Community Symptoms of Pleural Effusion

Participant

I had an in-situ malignant mole removed from my ear in 1006 and this progressed to my RML resulting in a Lobectomy in 4/11. Following this op I experienced continious pain in my chest – rib area. This was ascribed to nerve regeneration so no further action taken. My 4 monthly check-ups were of little consequence with only a Mel blood count taken, which showed low count and an NED dianosis. Of late I have had severe body aches starting at my hips to my legs and also my shoulders and hands. Felt much like arthritis or gout, I suppose. Walking became difficult.

I had an in-situ malignant mole removed from my ear in 1006 and this progressed to my RML resulting in a Lobectomy in 4/11. Following this op I experienced continious pain in my chest – rib area. This was ascribed to nerve regeneration so no further action taken. My 4 monthly check-ups were of little consequence with only a Mel blood count taken, which showed low count and an NED dianosis. Of late I have had severe body aches starting at my hips to my legs and also my shoulders and hands. Felt much like arthritis or gout, I suppose. Walking became difficult. My GP brushed this off as old age. My Oncologist was a little more supportive and suggested some X-rays. These have indicate a possible Pleural Effusion.

My question is – are these the typical symptoms of a pleural effusion and what are the chances of this being a malignant effusion?

if the result is possitive (I go for a pet scan on 18/7 to determine the extent of this finding) what is the process. The Oncologist did not discuss any of this with me, sauying lets wait and see what ther outcome is first. I find this difficult as I need to prepare myself for variable possbilities.

Can anyone out there please  help me with answers as it is a long wait to 18/7. Best regards to all and may you all experience speedy recoveries. Wally from RSA.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Minnesota
        Participant

I have been having severe pain in my rib cage and sternum area since before my melanoma was removed and I've felt that it was somehow connected. My x-ray did not show pleural effusion. Nobody knows what it is, I have not been offered a PET scan. 

Since your x-ray was "possible," I would not think beyond it being inflammation at this point, possibilty rheumatoid arthritis, which is an autoimmune disease, or some type of immune-related inflammation. If your scan shows something, then you can deal with whatever treatment options are available for whatever it is – your doctor is right, wait for the results. 

Have you taken any corticosteroid (prednisone, decadron, etc.) drugs in the past year? 

Have your vitamin D levels been checked?

Have you tried taking ibuprofen daily?

Minnesota
          Participant

I have been having severe pain in my rib cage and sternum area since before my melanoma was removed and I've felt that it was somehow connected. My x-ray did not show pleural effusion. Nobody knows what it is, I have not been offered a PET scan. 

Since your x-ray was "possible," I would not think beyond it being inflammation at this point, possibilty rheumatoid arthritis, which is an autoimmune disease, or some type of immune-related inflammation. If your scan shows something, then you can deal with whatever treatment options are available for whatever it is – your doctor is right, wait for the results. 

Have you taken any corticosteroid (prednisone, decadron, etc.) drugs in the past year? 

Wally
              Participant

Thank you for your response. I have been told that the rib pain could possibly be regeneration of the nerves after the op but in your case that seems not to be the case. I have not taken any of the medication you mention. I assume my Vitamin D levels are normal as being in South Africa one has daily contact with the sun, which is sufficient.

Wally
                Participant

Thank you for your response. I have been told that the rib pain could possibly be regeneration of the nerves after the op but in your case that seems not to be the case. I have not taken any of the medication you mention. I assume my Vitamin D levels are normal as being in South Africa one has daily contact with the sun, which is sufficient.

Wally
                  Participant

Minnesota
                    Participant

I just read your other reply and your pain relief after having that injection sounds like a very good sign.

I hope you continue to improve and that your scans are clear!

Minnesota
                      Participant

I just read your other reply and your pain relief after having that injection sounds like a very good sign.

Minnesota
                        Participant

Minnesota
                        Participant

Lilbrat
                          Participant

My husband had a malignant plural effusion from Pancreatic cancer.  The symptoms started with a cough and then weazing and a complete lack of energy and difficulty breathing.  I don't recall there being any body aches associated with it or any of the other symptoms that you describe.  I hope this helps, as I know how hard it is to wait for tests and results.  Best to you.

Lilbrat
                            Participant

My husband had a malignant plural effusion from Pancreatic cancer.  The symptoms started with a cough and then weazing and a complete lack of energy and difficulty breathing.  I don't recall there being any body aches associated with it or any of the other symptoms that you describe.  I hope this helps, as I know how hard it is to wait for tests and results.  Best to you.

Lilbrat
                              Participant

Wally
                                  Participant

Thank you for your reply. I am still not clear – apart from the cough (which I also have) did your husband have any pain in the rib area as I think this is crucial to my concerns. That may indicate that the pleural effusion could possiblty be malignant although I have been told that the chances are really about 50/50. What are your views? I have since been to see my GP and blood has been drawn for analysis of acidity, liver infection and cholesterol. He gave me an injection of a cocktail of anti-inflametary and something else which has totally eliminated the pain for now. Wonderful feeling! I have so far not had indications of being SOB.

Wally
                                    Participant

Thank you for your reply. I am still not clear – apart from the cough (which I also have) did your husband have any pain in the rib area as I think this is crucial to my concerns. That may indicate that the pleural effusion could possiblty be malignant although I have been told that the chances are really about 50/50. What are your views? I have since been to see my GP and blood has been drawn for analysis of acidity, liver infection and cholesterol. He gave me an injection of a cocktail of anti-inflametary and something else which has totally eliminated the pain for now. Wonderful feeling! I have so far not had indications of being SOB.

Lilbrat
                                      Participant

Wally – not that I can recall – it has been a couple of years, but reading your initial description did not remind me of his experience with it at all.  I took him to the emergency room after he couldn't stand up for even a few minutes.  After they saw his x-ray they admitted him immediately..  But he did not have any joint pain or rib pain that I know of.  He had back and side pain, but that preceeded the pleural effusion by several months and it is a classic sympton of that particular cancer.

So glad you are out of pain.  Not sure what being SOB means – well I know the way I have used it in the past – but I'm assuming you are using it differently, ha-ha.  Keep us updated.

Lilbrat
                                        Participant

Wally – not that I can recall – it has been a couple of years, but reading your initial description did not remind me of his experience with it at all.  I took him to the emergency room after he couldn't stand up for even a few minutes.  After they saw his x-ray they admitted him immediately..  But he did not have any joint pain or rib pain that I know of.  He had back and side pain, but that preceeded the pleural effusion by several months and it is a classic sympton of that particular cancer.

So glad you are out of pain.  Not sure what being SOB means – well I know the way I have used it in the past – but I'm assuming you are using it differently, ha-ha.  Keep us updated.

Lilbrat
                                          Participant

Lilbrat
                                            Participant

Lilbrat
                                              Participant

Lilbrat
                                                Participant

Wally
                                                  Participant

It took me a while to discover what SOB stands for – it it Shortness Of Breath but as you say, we use the term in various other forms as well!

My Pet Scan is scheduled for Wednesday and I am praying that I am NED and that the fluid just needs to be drained.

What can I expect if it is not malinant – just a removal of the fluid?

And, God forbid, if it is possitive for melanoma, what treatment can I more or less expect?

Sorry for so many questions but neither iof my doctors saw the need to fill me in and I was stupid enough not to ask.

Kindest regards to all of you on this forum. Lovely to have someone to talk to.

Wally

Wally
                                                    Participant

It took me a while to discover what SOB stands for – it it Shortness Of Breath but as you say, we use the term in various other forms as well!

My Pet Scan is scheduled for Wednesday and I am praying that I am NED and that the fluid just needs to be drained.

And, God forbid, if it is possitive for melanoma, what treatment can I more or less expect?

Sorry for so many questions but neither iof my doctors saw the need to fill me in and I was stupid enough not to ask.

Wally

Lilbrat
                                                      Participant

Wally – remember that my husband's was pancreatic cancer, so I don't know what the treatment would be for melanoma.  Basically they drained the fluid, but since it returned immediately,  the choice was either leaving a drain to take care of at home, or a procedure where they inject a substance, in his case a fine talc, that would hopefully cause the lining of the lungs to stick together and keep the pleural effusion from reoccurring.  He decided to do the latter, but unfortunately the damage from the large number of cancer cells to his lungs was too advanced and it was not successful.  I seem to remember reading about an infusion or something where chemo could be applied directly to the pleural, but it was two years ago and a bit of a blur, so I am not really sure.

Honestly, what you describe in no way reminds me of what my husband had, so I am hopeful you will get good news.  I never can think of any questions while I am sitting in the doctors office – but usually I'll be up all that night thinking of all the things I wished I had asked!  So frustrating.

Lilbrat
                                                        Participant

Wally – remember that my husband's was pancreatic cancer, so I don't know what the treatment would be for melanoma.  Basically they drained the fluid, but since it returned immediately,  the choice was either leaving a drain to take care of at home, or a procedure where they inject a substance, in his case a fine talc, that would hopefully cause the lining of the lungs to stick together and keep the pleural effusion from reoccurring.  He decided to do the latter, but unfortunately the damage from the large number of cancer cells to his lungs was too advanced and it was not successful.  I seem to remember reading about an infusion or something where chemo could be applied directly to the pleural, but it was two years ago and a bit of a blur, so I am not really sure.

Honestly, what you describe in no way reminds me of what my husband had, so I am hopeful you will get good news.  I never can think of any questions while I am sitting in the doctors office – but usually I'll be up all that night thinking of all the things I wished I had asked!  So frustrating.

Wally
                                                          Participant

I have had the scan and it highlights a possible malignant tumour repeat in lower part my right lung but it also highlighted a suspiscious growth on the side of my face, just ahead of my ear on the jawbone. Had needle biopsy this morning to establish status. Lung tumour will be surgically removed IDC. If the face thing proves to be possitive they intend applying a drug called Ipilimumab and/or Interferan (not Chemo or radiation as apparently that is not effective against Melenoma). Should get results of Biopsy by Thursday or Friday. It appears this is the cause of the pain in my chest – hard to believe because my understanding is that Melanoma is painless

Thank you all for your valuable input, much appreciated.

Kindest regards to all the worriors

Wally

Wally
                                                            Participant

I have had the scan and it highlights a possible malignant tumour repeat in lower part my right lung but it also highlighted a suspiscious growth on the side of my face, just ahead of my ear on the jawbone. Had needle biopsy this morning to establish status. Lung tumour will be surgically removed IDC. If the face thing proves to be possitive they intend applying a drug called Ipilimumab and/or Interferan (not Chemo or radiation as apparently that is not effective against Melenoma). Should get results of Biopsy by Thursday or Friday. It appears this is the cause of the pain in my chest – hard to believe because my understanding is that Melanoma is painless

Wally

Wally
                                                              Participant

Wally

Lilbrat
                                                                Participant

Wally
                                                                  Participant

Wally

Wally
                                                                    Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics