The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Symptoms of Intestinal Mets

Forums General Melanoma Community Symptoms of Intestinal Mets

Participant

Hi everyone,

Hi everyone,

Jim is having lots of stomach problems, and of course, as of yet, has not agreed to go to the doctor.  He is in pain, having bowel issues, and mainly very uncomfortable.  He is not eating much.  He looks pale.  He, of course, tells me he must have some kind of virus.  I don't think so.  He now a lymph node swollen on the left side in front of his ear.  Another  3 lumps on the left side of his back.  1 on his left side.   And the right side, originial Mel, that lymph node is huge.  He has one on the right side of back…and lump in right side of chest.  None of these are giving him any problems. HELP, PLEASE.

Does anyone have any experience with this?  Thanking you in advance for any responses to this. 

Take Care,

Sherron, wife to Jim

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        Sherron
        Participant

Jim also has another small lump on the left side of his neck.

Sherron
          Participant

Jim also has another small lump on the left side of his neck.

Rebecca and Bob
            Participant

Sherron,

He needs to go in and see a doctor (obvious statement huh). My husband had intestinal mets and one was a intussusception (a blockage of the intestine). That will kill you if it's not immediately resolved by surgery. My husband had cramps, anemia (pale from it) and the cramps and pain would come and go. He had issues going.  It was not completely blocked when they discovered it because he was getting scanned on regular basis, so he had surgery and they completely removed the tumors in his small intestine. I realize it is your husband's choice not to seek treatment, but I feel it's unfair for your watching and not knowing and he's not going to the doctor. I would be chasing my husband out the door with a bat! As a matter of fact I have had to make him go to get scanned. He's better about it now.

Rebecca

Sherron
                Participant

I am printing out your Response Rebecca….Thank you so much  for responding to me.

Take Care,

Sherron, wife to Jim

Niki
                  Participant

Sherron,

I just want you to know that I am thinking of you–and hoping that Jim will reconsider and go to the doctor.

Niki (Wife of Joe, Stage IIA)

Niki
                    Participant

Sherron,

I just want you to know that I am thinking of you–and hoping that Jim will reconsider and go to the doctor.

Niki (Wife of Joe, Stage IIA)

Sherron
                      Participant

I am printing out your Response Rebecca….Thank you so much  for responding to me.

Take Care,

Sherron, wife to Jim

Rebecca and Bob
                      Participant

Sherron,

He needs to go in and see a doctor (obvious statement huh). My husband had intestinal mets and one was a intussusception (a blockage of the intestine). That will kill you if it's not immediately resolved by surgery. My husband had cramps, anemia (pale from it) and the cramps and pain would come and go. He had issues going.  It was not completely blocked when they discovered it because he was getting scanned on regular basis, so he had surgery and they completely removed the tumors in his small intestine. I realize it is your husband's choice not to seek treatment, but I feel it's unfair for your watching and not knowing and he's not going to the doctor. I would be chasing my husband out the door with a bat! As a matter of fact I have had to make him go to get scanned. He's better about it now.

Rebecca

James from Sydney
                        Participant

Hi Sheron

my son also had an interceception or twisted bowel caused by a swollen node. Tell your husband  that yes he may be able to beat Mel with his own immune system but he cannot beat a mechanical issue like a twisted bowel. He needs to fix the plumbing first before he continues his fight.

best wishes

James

Sherron
                            Participant

Thanks James – I will tell him..

Thank you everyone for your responses……!!!!  I l ove you all….

Sherron
                              Participant

Thanks James – I will tell him..

Thank you everyone for your responses……!!!!  I l ove you all….

James from Sydney
                              Participant

Hi Sheron

my son also had an interceception or twisted bowel caused by a swollen node. Tell your husband  that yes he may be able to beat Mel with his own immune system but he cannot beat a mechanical issue like a twisted bowel. He needs to fix the plumbing first before he continues his fight.

best wishes

James

Alicia15
                                Participant

Sherron,

I am sorry that it took a while to reply. I really don't like having to login as I usually don't remember my id and password so I don't post here anymore.

I had intestinal mets twice. My symptoms were pain, and then fatigue because the mets caused a perforation and internal bleeding. 

Keep calling the doctor until they do something about it. The mets were not seen on CT/PET scans, these tests took so long that I ended up in the ER because I couldn't function anymore, this was the first time. I needed a blood transfussion as I was very anemic and then surgery.

The second time I knew what it ewas, similar symptoms…so a barium swallow x-ray was done, the mets showed up on this test. I had another surgery.

In summary, mets in the small bowels are tricky, HARD to detect via standard tests.

The good news is that this was in 2005, I am still here, have been NED for 5 years and doing great.

Best wishes,

Alicia

Alicia15
                                  Participant

Sherron,

I am sorry that it took a while to reply. I really don't like having to login as I usually don't remember my id and password so I don't post here anymore.

I had intestinal mets twice. My symptoms were pain, and then fatigue because the mets caused a perforation and internal bleeding. 

Keep calling the doctor until they do something about it. The mets were not seen on CT/PET scans, these tests took so long that I ended up in the ER because I couldn't function anymore, this was the first time. I needed a blood transfussion as I was very anemic and then surgery.

The second time I knew what it ewas, similar symptoms…so a barium swallow x-ray was done, the mets showed up on this test. I had another surgery.

In summary, mets in the small bowels are tricky, HARD to detect via standard tests.

The good news is that this was in 2005, I am still here, have been NED for 5 years and doing great.

Best wishes,

Alicia

Viewing 7 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics