The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Symptoms of Brain Mets

Forums General Melanoma Community Symptoms of Brain Mets

Participant
      Hi everyone-

What we’re your symptoms of brains mets?

For the past week and a half I have been having some strange things going on. I have a dull headache that feels like my temples are being squeezed and my mind feels foggy. My husband will talk to me and I feel like I’m not sure what he is talking about or I can’t think of the right word when I am trying to speak. My husband just asked me what is going on as he said I seem strange lately. I feel strange but I don’t want to seem like I’m over reacting.
      Thanks!

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        kylez
        Participant

It seems that there's as many possible symptoms as there are brain functions. With or without headaches. I never got a headache from any of the 3 golf-ball-sized tumors I had removed (2 at the same time). I had a visual effect with occipital lobe tumor, and auditory/cognitive effects with simulateous parietal and temporal lobe tumors. Which more or less matches up with the brain functions at those locations. I was lucky in those locations.

StephyD83
            Participant
              Did your head feel fuzzy like your thinking was imparred?
              kylez
              Participant

I think anyone experiencing neurological changes should contact their oncologist or doctor. One person's symptoms are really not a guide to another person's, because they can strike in any part of the brain, and I have no idea to even count how many different functions there are in the brain, hundreds if not thousands.

That said, I don't know if I would use "fuzzy" for the symptoms I experienced. When that part first hit, I couldn't figure out how to use email anymore. I sat there for half an hour trying to figure it out. Then when I figured I needed to call my doctor, it took me about 10 minutes to figure out how to find his phone# and dial the phone. That week prior to surgery, on decadron, the symptoms were cut in half, but rather than 'fuzzy' I would say I felt like I was experiencing dementia, tasks and remembering things was difficult. I had other weird symptoms like I could see things on the right-hand side but not recognize them as objects, so I was walking into parking meters and other things. There's actually a specific neurological disorder that describes that. 

These are examples of any of hundreds or thousands of crazy things that can happen in the brain when it is being affected by a tumor. 

kylez
                Participant

I think anyone experiencing neurological changes should contact their oncologist or doctor. One person's symptoms are really not a guide to another person's, because they can strike in any part of the brain, and I have no idea to even count how many different functions there are in the brain, hundreds if not thousands.

That said, I don't know if I would use "fuzzy" for the symptoms I experienced. When that part first hit, I couldn't figure out how to use email anymore. I sat there for half an hour trying to figure it out. Then when I figured I needed to call my doctor, it took me about 10 minutes to figure out how to find his phone# and dial the phone. That week prior to surgery, on decadron, the symptoms were cut in half, but rather than 'fuzzy' I would say I felt like I was experiencing dementia, tasks and remembering things was difficult. I had other weird symptoms like I could see things on the right-hand side but not recognize them as objects, so I was walking into parking meters and other things. There's actually a specific neurological disorder that describes that. 

These are examples of any of hundreds or thousands of crazy things that can happen in the brain when it is being affected by a tumor. 

kylez
                  Participant

StephyD83
                    Participant
                      StephyD83
                      Participant
                      kylez
                      Participant

It seems that there's as many possible symptoms as there are brain functions. With or without headaches. I never got a headache from any of the 3 golf-ball-sized tumors I had removed (2 at the same time). I had a visual effect with occipital lobe tumor, and auditory/cognitive effects with simulateous parietal and temporal lobe tumors. Which more or less matches up with the brain functions at those locations. I was lucky in those locations.

kylez
                        Participant

jmmm
                          Participant

Symptoms depend on where a tumor or tumors are.  My husband had a large brain tumor a few years ago.  He had a headache that got worse and worse for a few weeks, left sided weakness, and a foggy feeling.  He described it like his head was floating above his body.   If you have any concerns, get in ASAP for a brain MRI.  Brain tumors are treatable, but like anything else are easier to deal with when you catch them ealier rather than later.  Just an FYI after a craniotomy and gamma knife, his brain has been clear for 3 years:).

StephyD83
                              Participant
                                Thank you all very much for your responses. I am going to make an apt on Monday to have this checked out.
                                StephyD83
                                Participant
                                  Thank you all very much for your responses. I am going to make an apt on Monday to have this checked out.
                                  StephyD83
                                  Participant
                                  jmmm
                                  Participant

Symptoms depend on where a tumor or tumors are.  My husband had a large brain tumor a few years ago.  He had a headache that got worse and worse for a few weeks, left sided weakness, and a foggy feeling.  He described it like his head was floating above his body.   If you have any concerns, get in ASAP for a brain MRI.  Brain tumors are treatable, but like anything else are easier to deal with when you catch them ealier rather than later.  Just an FYI after a craniotomy and gamma knife, his brain has been clear for 3 years:).

jmmm
                                    Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics