The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

swollen lymph node near wle

Forums General Melanoma Community swollen lymph node near wle

Participant
      Hi everyone. Sorry to be a bother. I can tend to be a hypochondriac but advice here always helps. I was diagnosed with stage 1a melanoma clark lv 2, .22 mm depth, no ulceration and less than one mitotic figure on the left side of my neck back in october 2014. Had wle done in november (initial lesion was removed with shave biopsy with clear margins). Wle excision tissue also came back clear. Since then i had one small issue where a part of my wle bled and needed re- excision to be safe. Came back with some abnormal squamous cells but derm said its nothing to be concerned about. That was a month ago.

Now i have found a hard lump a bit above and back behind my wle scar. Not sure if its a lymph node or what but i think it is. My dilema is im out of town till august first. Im going to go see an insta care doc today but dont know how much help that will be. How concerned should i be? Hard to not freak out and let my mind go to dark places.

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Gordknight
        Participant
          I should also add i dont know how long its been there. Might have been there a while… cant recall.
          Gordknight
          Participant
            I should also add i dont know how long its been there. Might have been there a while… cant recall.
            Gordknight
            Participant
              Janner
              Participant

Scar tissue, reactive node or even an infected node are all possibility.  You had the WLE recently and that trauma can cause enlarged nodes.  I wouldn't panic.  The er doc will most likely prescribe antibiotics to rule out infection but past that won't be of much help.  Leave it alone but know there are benign causes!

Gordknight
                  Participant

Thanks Janner.  How likely is it for a 1a of my stats to have caused a lymph node to do this within 8 months of surgery.  I guess its possible that a cell could have got in that lymph node before I even had the initial legion removed but I know this is extremely unlikely.  Thanks for all your help.

Squash
                    Participant

It is more likley it is scar tissue.

Having said that you can have melanoma grow in the scar tissue too.

You just have to get it checked out.

Squash
                      Participant

Squash
                        Participant

Gordknight
                          Participant

Thanks Janner.  How likely is it for a 1a of my stats to have caused a lymph node to do this within 8 months of surgery.  I guess its possible that a cell could have got in that lymph node before I even had the initial legion removed but I know this is extremely unlikely.  Thanks for all your help.

Gordknight
                            Participant

Janner
                            Participant

Scar tissue, reactive node or even an infected node are all possibility.  You had the WLE recently and that trauma can cause enlarged nodes.  I wouldn't panic.  The er doc will most likely prescribe antibiotics to rule out infection but past that won't be of much help.  Leave it alone but know there are benign causes!

Janner
                              Participant

liberty04281
                                Participant
                                  I think you should have a biopsy of the lump.
                                  liberty04281
                                  Participant
                                      Gordknight
                                      Participant

I went into a Doc yesterday locally and she said she didnt think it felt like a lymph node and it has no pigmentation so she doesnt think its anything.  Probably something benign, but to be sure I have am Ultrasound this morning.  Ill let you know how it all goes.

Gordknight
                                        Participant

I went into a Doc yesterday locally and she said she didnt think it felt like a lymph node and it has no pigmentation so she doesnt think its anything.  Probably something benign, but to be sure I have am Ultrasound this morning.  Ill let you know how it all goes.

Gordknight
                                          Participant

liberty04281
                                          Participant
                                            Aundrea
                                            Participant

My husband was in the same place you were, he was 1a I think.  From about March last year to January this year, I noticed a lump on his neck right by his wide excision surgery.  They did a biopsy and sure enough the beast was back.  ๐Ÿ™  He has had 2 surgerys this year so far and tomorrow he goes for the second time for testing to enter a trial.  I hope in your case, its nothing!!  Best wishes 

Aundrea
                                              Participant

My husband was in the same place you were, he was 1a I think.  From about March last year to January this year, I noticed a lump on his neck right by his wide excision surgery.  They did a biopsy and sure enough the beast was back.  ๐Ÿ™  He has had 2 surgerys this year so far and tomorrow he goes for the second time for testing to enter a trial.  I hope in your case, its nothing!!  Best wishes 

Aundrea
                                                Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics