The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

switching to Tafinlar/Mekinist Combo

Forums General Melanoma Community switching to Tafinlar/Mekinist Combo

Participant

Now that GSK's combo has been approved  my MD is switching me from Zelboraf, which i have been on for about 14 months, to the GSK combo TAfinlar/Mekinist.

Has anyone used the combo and if so, what side effects did you have and was the combo successful?

Barry

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        ecc26
        Participant

I've been on the combo for about a month and can honestly say I have no noticable side effects at all. With the possible exception of my skin being a little extra dry, but the extra cold dry winter we're having could have somethint to do with that as well. No problems at all- no headaches, no nausea or any other GI issues, no fatigue, nothing. The only thing I'm not sure of right now is photosensitivity. It's listed as a possible side effect, but being winter and an abnormally cold one at that, I haven't really been outside long enough to know if I'll have that or not. 

The biggest "problem" I have with them is that they have to be taken 1 hour before and at least 2 hours after eating (i.e. on an empty stomach). Not such a big deal in the morning, just take them and wait an hour before breakfast, but in the evening it can be a bit tedious since you have to wait a full 2+ hours after you last eat before you can take them. Mostly for me what that means is that I can't have desert (which probably isn't such a bad thing, but I like desert), or if I do I have to stay up later than I usually like to. You have to be much more conscious of mealtimes and pill times than I would like. You also have to separate any other medications you take by at least an hour from these meds. 

Oh, and one more note- if you're female and on birth control pills the combo reduces the effectiveness of your birth control so you must use a backup method as pregnancy is a HUGE no no with these drugs.

good luck and I hope you have success with them.

Here I am at 37 months on this magic combo. I had no side affects for 64 days, and then it hit, "All at once, and nothing first, like a bubble when it bursts." Just pretend it is happening to someone else and think of having no feeling at all as the alternative. I did call Dr. Lawrence, at MGH, and he had me stop the Tafinlar for two full days…I hated it because cancer was stealing a march on me. The shakes, sweats, fever, etc. vanished! Then back to full dose of 300 mg./day. The first year it happened four or five times, each time not as bad as what was before, and I have never taken another break from my precious duet.

After the first year I had no more symptoms other than SCC which comes at me and we cut it out, biopsy it, and throw it in a pail. It is like kissing your sister compared to Stage IV melanoma. You are in the bosom of Abraham and you should go hug your doctor. I call the pair, "Smith and Wesson." 

You should eat dessert first anyhow, as life is uncertain. That's all I have to say other than I love GSK for developing these astonishing drugs. My lung tumors vanished, and maybe I am NED for melanoma but we don't know due to something on the scans that may be scar tissue, or we have a standoff with this last 6% of the largest, and only remaining tumor. Go get 'em, and put the twist on your cancer.

Here I am at 37 months on this magic combo. I had no side affects for 64 days, and then it hit, "All at once, and nothing first, like a bubble when it bursts." Just pretend it is happening to someone else and think of having no feeling at all as the alternative. I did call Dr. Lawrence, at MGH, and he had me stop the Tafinlar for two full days…I hated it because cancer was stealing a march on me. The shakes, sweats, fever, etc. vanished! Then back to full dose of 300 mg./day. The first year it happened four or five times, each time not as bad as what was before, and I have never taken another break from my precious duet.

After the first year I had no more symptoms other than SCC which comes at me and we cut it out, biopsy it, and throw it in a pail. It is like kissing your sister compared to Stage IV melanoma. You are in the bosom of Abraham and you should go hug your doctor. I call the pair, "Smith and Wesson." 

You should eat dessert first anyhow, as life is uncertain. That's all I have to say other than I love GSK for developing these astonishing drugs. My lung tumors vanished, and maybe I am NED for melanoma but we don't know due to something on the scans that may be scar tissue, or we have a standoff with this last 6% of the largest, and only remaining tumor. Go get 'em, and put the twist on your cancer.

ecc26
          Participant

I've been on the combo for about a month and can honestly say I have no noticable side effects at all. With the possible exception of my skin being a little extra dry, but the extra cold dry winter we're having could have somethint to do with that as well. No problems at all- no headaches, no nausea or any other GI issues, no fatigue, nothing. The only thing I'm not sure of right now is photosensitivity. It's listed as a possible side effect, but being winter and an abnormally cold one at that, I haven't really been outside long enough to know if I'll have that or not. 

The biggest "problem" I have with them is that they have to be taken 1 hour before and at least 2 hours after eating (i.e. on an empty stomach). Not such a big deal in the morning, just take them and wait an hour before breakfast, but in the evening it can be a bit tedious since you have to wait a full 2+ hours after you last eat before you can take them. Mostly for me what that means is that I can't have desert (which probably isn't such a bad thing, but I like desert), or if I do I have to stay up later than I usually like to. You have to be much more conscious of mealtimes and pill times than I would like. You also have to separate any other medications you take by at least an hour from these meds. 

Oh, and one more note- if you're female and on birth control pills the combo reduces the effectiveness of your birth control so you must use a backup method as pregnancy is a HUGE no no with these drugs.

ecc26
            Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics