The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Suspicious large mole that appeared on scalp

Forums General Melanoma Community Suspicious large mole that appeared on scalp

Participant
      I am a 32 year old woman who gets her hair done professionally every month. Two weeks ago my hair stylist noticed what appeared to be a new mole she never saw before. Fast forward to today. I saw a dermatologist who told me he was concerned that the mole just appeared. He described the mole as being 8mm in size (large in comparison to the standard 6mm and under  “healthy” mole). He reports the mole was symmetrical and oval shaped. He reports the mole was dark and uniform in color (I am a person of color and he said our moles tend to be darker), he reports the mole was superficial and flat. The mole had no irregular edges. He performed a shave biopsy and was able to shave off the whole mole with clean margins. I asked for his clinical observation of the pathology of my mole and he said he was 95% confident that it was a benign mole. I understand that doctors can never promise you good news regarding health without the facts to back it up but I am very worried that I will fall into the “5%”. I receive my biopsy report in 7-10 days. It does not help that we have a long weekend ahead of us because waiting is excruciating when it comes to matters of health and how it will impact the trajectory of life.

I am coming to this community to ask if anyone over the age of 30 has experienced this. My dermatologist was a little concerned because he told me that new moles should stop developing at 25-30 years old. Have you ever had a mole just appear and it be large in size and turn out to be benign? Or maybe experience having a mole that became larger in size in a short amount of time without pathology? I am thinking of melanoma but I am also searching for hopeful experiences while I await the news. Thank you in advance!

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        QuietPoet
        Participant
          Hi Nandi:

I’m in my 50s and am still getting new, benign moles appearing — mainly on my sun-exposed arms though. I always get them checked because it’s better to be safe than sorry. Waiting is the hard part, and I hope you hear back soon.

All the best,

Erika

Viewing 0 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics