The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Suspicious for Melonma in Situ

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Suspicious for Melonma in Situ

Participant

Hi,

I am new to this. I had a biopsy for a mole on my big toe about a month ago. I have a family history of melonoma and have always been careful to stay out of the sun and use sunscreen.The path report came back 

FINAL PATHOLOGIC DIAGNOSIS
      SKIN, LEFT FIRST TOE, PUNCH BIOPSY: 
      -ATYPICAL JUNCTIONAL MELANOCYTIC PROLIFERATION, SUSPICIOUS FOR
      MELANOMA IN SITU, FOCALLY
      TRANSECTED LATERALLY (SEE COMMENT) 
      -REEXCISION IS ADVISED

NUPOOR ANANT GAJJAR M.D.
      ** Report Electronically Signed by NAG **
      Comment
      The clinical images from 7/2017 are reviewed but recent clinical
      images are not available for evaluation. The lesion is atypical
      given the irregular distribution along the junction (despite the
      location being an acral site) and there is suspicion for melanoma
      in situ. Therefore, reexcision (with melanoma in situ-type margins)
      is advised to ensure complete removal of the entire lesion.
      Clinical correlation is advised.

Consensus diagnosis: Dr. Jessica Chan

Mic roscopic Description
      Sections demonstrate a thick stratum corneum consistent with acral
      skin overlying a lentiginous junctional proliferation of
      melanocytes. Immunoperoxidase stains Sox-10 and Melan A highlight
      melanocytes and show patchy irregular distribution along the
      junction with melanocytes focally transected at a peripheral edge of the biopsy

What does focally transected laterally at the peripheral edge mean? was the 

Does it mean there could be more atypical or melonoma cells past the peripheral edge?

I am having surgery next week with the 1/2 cm margins.  I am very anxious. I know the success rate is very good if caught early enough.  I appreciate all the knowledge and support this bulletin board offers.

I wish this had been around when my mom had melanoma.

Thank you for your support

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        Treadlightly
        Participant

It sounds to me as though the biospy report is saying that the lesion extended beyond the initial biopsy.  It is unusual that there is no mention in the biopsy report of the depth of the invasion of the lesion. However, there is mention of "suspicion of melanoma in situ." It is possible that they need the complete lesion to make the final Breslow's depth determination. 

Best of luck for a successful treatment!

Mark 2A

Viewing 0 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics