The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Survey – Virus & Melanoma

Forums General Melanoma Community Survey – Virus & Melanoma

Participant

I was reading a research article about a group of women workers who worked in the same building.  Many of them were diagnosed with breast cancer and the only similarity  they had were that they all had the mouse mammary virus.

It is also interesting that the new vaccination against a particular type of Human Papillimova Virus strain (HPV is a common virus which quite a number of the general population have) will prevent Cervical Cancer.

I was reading a research article about a group of women workers who worked in the same building.  Many of them were diagnosed with breast cancer and the only similarity  they had were that they all had the mouse mammary virus.

It is also interesting that the new vaccination against a particular type of Human Papillimova Virus strain (HPV is a common virus which quite a number of the general population have) will prevent Cervical Cancer.

It may be a LONGSHOT but you also wonder if Melanoma could also be triggered/caused by a common virus and could be lying dormant with some of the culprits being the most common viruses for example like HPV or the cold sore virus.

I always thought it was odd that half my school sports team from 20 years ago ended up getting melanoma and my coach died of it later in life but it didn't occur until 20 years after.  I know a few of us had mononucleorosis (glandular fever) which was quite contagious at the time.  

As a survey, (anonymous if you wish), every remember catching a particular  virus, past or present?

Viewing 20 reply threads
    • Replies
        James from Sydney
        Participant

Hi Nicky

our son who had an unknown Primary always got Herpes Simplex the virus responsible for cold sores. It is interesting to see Oncovex are using this virus to kill Melanoma.

best wishes

James

James from Sydney
          Participant

Hi Nicky

our son who had an unknown Primary always got Herpes Simplex the virus responsible for cold sores. It is interesting to see Oncovex are using this virus to kill Melanoma.

best wishes

James

kab07011
            Participant

I also have gotton cold sores, Herpes Simplex, on my lips since around age 10 from stress or sunlight. My father gets them too, but no melanoma for him. Two of my children also get them now.

I am 31 and have had melanoma stage 1B and also wondered since this virus has been shown to "kill" melanoma cells, if I should let it run rampant in my body when I break out, instead of taking the prescription Valtrex.

MamdyT
                Participant
                  I’m stage 3 melanoma since May 2014, currently NED 1 month.
                  After my reoccurance in Jan 2016, my oncologist was all about the new “Jimmy Carter drug”, and while most people do respond to it, it was looking like I wasn’t going to. So, I talked to my doctor about the next plan of action, which was the herpes virus. The way that it was explained to me is that they would choose 4 locations of melanoma, which at this point was all over my left leg, and thigh, and inject the herpes virus into the melanoma and then to treat the herpes. I had well over 50 spot and doing 4 a week was going to take a while for this treatment, not to mention that I would now be giving my husband herpes.
                  Your children probably got the virus from you as well. It’s very contagious especially if you have a cold sore. As their mom, I’m sure you gives them plenty of kissespace and lots of love. Not a big deal. It happened with a friend of mine and her daughter.
                  MamdyT
                  Participant
                    After my reoccurance in Jan 2016, my oncologist was all about the new “Jimmy Carter drug”, and while most people do respond to it, it was looking like I wasn’t going to. So, I talked to my doctor about the next plan of action, which was the herpes virus. The way that it was explained to me is that they would choose 4 locations of melanoma, which at this point was all over my left leg, and thigh, and inject the herpes virus into the melanoma and then to treat the herpes. I had well over 50 spot and doing 4 a week was going to take a while for this treatment, not to mention that I would now be giving my husband herpes.
                    Your children probably got the virus from you as well. It’s very contagious especially if you have a cold sore. As their mom, I’m sure you gives them plenty of kissespace and lots of love. Not a big deal. It happened with a friend of mine and her daughter.
                    MamdyT
                    Participant
                    kab07011
                    Participant

I also have gotton cold sores, Herpes Simplex, on my lips since around age 10 from stress or sunlight. My father gets them too, but no melanoma for him. Two of my children also get them now.

I am 31 and have had melanoma stage 1B and also wondered since this virus has been shown to "kill" melanoma cells, if I should let it run rampant in my body when I break out, instead of taking the prescription Valtrex.

KatyWI
                      Participant

NO memory of any virus preceding my primary, but I had mono literally a few weeks before my recurrence popped up in the form of a subQ.  Too bad i was told it was a sebaceous cyst at the time.  Personally, I think my mm is immune-regulated.  Something happened to get my immune system out of whack, and I got mono & the mm took off in close succession.

KatyWI
                        Participant

NO memory of any virus preceding my primary, but I had mono literally a few weeks before my recurrence popped up in the form of a subQ.  Too bad i was told it was a sebaceous cyst at the time.  Personally, I think my mm is immune-regulated.  Something happened to get my immune system out of whack, and I got mono & the mm took off in close succession.

Brandi
                          Participant

Hi everyone,

I was reading about this vaccine and from what I have seen it is actually showing promise. My only question is will this be available to anyone who has melanoma or does the person have to be a certain stage to qualify to receive it? I realize right now it is being trialed but am just wondering if anyone has any ideas. If it works and it is truly a vaccine I would think it would be offered to individuals who do not have melanoma and to those who already do. Any thoughts?

Brandi
                            Participant

Hi everyone,

I was reading about this vaccine and from what I have seen it is actually showing promise. My only question is will this be available to anyone who has melanoma or does the person have to be a certain stage to qualify to receive it? I realize right now it is being trialed but am just wondering if anyone has any ideas. If it works and it is truly a vaccine I would think it would be offered to individuals who do not have melanoma and to those who already do. Any thoughts?

Nicky
                              Participant

Thanks for all your input. Interesting that that both mono (aka Epstein Barr Virus or Glandular Fever )and Herpes Simplex all belong to the Herpes group of viruses which also include chicken pox.  Anyway its food for thought, even with this tiny survey, the herpes virus so far is the leading contender.

Nicky
                                Participant

Thanks for all your input. Interesting that that both mono (aka Epstein Barr Virus or Glandular Fever )and Herpes Simplex all belong to the Herpes group of viruses which also include chicken pox.  Anyway its food for thought, even with this tiny survey, the herpes virus so far is the leading contender.

PSD
                                  Participant

I am not sure of a virus, but I remember alot of personal and professional stress at that time. Immediately after my WLE and SLNB I experienced severe arthritis that I did not know that I had prior to the surgery. I was 45 years old at that time.

PSD
                                    Participant

I am not sure of a virus, but I remember alot of personal and professional stress at that time. Immediately after my WLE and SLNB I experienced severe arthritis that I did not know that I had prior to the surgery. I was 45 years old at that time.

EmilyandMike
                                      Participant

I have been thinking about this a lot lately. Its interesting that you experienced a cluster of melanoma in your school sports team.  Not only do I wonder about a virus – I wonder what toxic environmental stuff could be contributing to the cause.

We know its a combo of things – mutated genes from heredity, UV exposure, low immune system function, but what else could it be?   We know that a virus can cause cancer so it could very well be something we aren't aware of yet.  

It is interesting that Oncovex is a herpes vaccine and it seems to be working well for melanoma.  We found the melanoma on my husband's back (he is stage 3a, 1 year NED) after a period of him not be very healthy – he was run down and he had just gotten over a cough that lasted 2 months.   He was also chewing tobacco (he has since stopped) and not exercising.  He has cancer in his immediate family also…his mother is a two time cancer survivor with multiple sclerosis.  Her cancers: cervical and anal – both known to be caused by HPV.       

Also – my husband has never had chicken pox.  Recently we thought my son had it, even though he had been vaccinated, and we were worried what might happen.  It wasnt the pox, but it got me thinking about the therapeautic effects of the herpes virus.  So Mike now has an appointment to get the Chicken Pox vaccine.  

You might have also heard of the researchers using salmonella to treat melanoma.  So after the big recall of the tainted salmonella eggs last month, we were joking that maybe he should get our hands on a couple of those!

Emily

EmilyandMike
                                        Participant

I have been thinking about this a lot lately. Its interesting that you experienced a cluster of melanoma in your school sports team.  Not only do I wonder about a virus – I wonder what toxic environmental stuff could be contributing to the cause.

We know its a combo of things – mutated genes from heredity, UV exposure, low immune system function, but what else could it be?   We know that a virus can cause cancer so it could very well be something we aren't aware of yet.  

It is interesting that Oncovex is a herpes vaccine and it seems to be working well for melanoma.  We found the melanoma on my husband's back (he is stage 3a, 1 year NED) after a period of him not be very healthy – he was run down and he had just gotten over a cough that lasted 2 months.   He was also chewing tobacco (he has since stopped) and not exercising.  He has cancer in his immediate family also…his mother is a two time cancer survivor with multiple sclerosis.  Her cancers: cervical and anal – both known to be caused by HPV.       

Also – my husband has never had chicken pox.  Recently we thought my son had it, even though he had been vaccinated, and we were worried what might happen.  It wasnt the pox, but it got me thinking about the therapeautic effects of the herpes virus.  So Mike now has an appointment to get the Chicken Pox vaccine.  

You might have also heard of the researchers using salmonella to treat melanoma.  So after the big recall of the tainted salmonella eggs last month, we were joking that maybe he should get our hands on a couple of those!

Emily

Jerry from Cape Cod
                                          Participant

The strength of one's immune system has been studied in depth in relationship to melanoma.  It's very enlightening especially with the response of the body to immune related therapy.

I had all the usuall childhood viruses and herpes zoster (shingles) in 1991 (dx'd 1998).

I think that the "coinsidence" of a serious virus spread among your teammates is significant in that it was a serious attack on the immune systems.

Jerry from Cape Cod.

Jerry from Cape Cod
                                            Participant

The strength of one's immune system has been studied in depth in relationship to melanoma.  It's very enlightening especially with the response of the body to immune related therapy.

I had all the usuall childhood viruses and herpes zoster (shingles) in 1991 (dx'd 1998).

I think that the "coinsidence" of a serious virus spread among your teammates is significant in that it was a serious attack on the immune systems.

Jerry from Cape Cod.

Sherron
                                              Participant

Hi everyone – before Jim came down with Melanoma…he had an awful case of pneumonia, and then couple of months later had a bad urniary tract infection…..then along came Mel.

Take Care,

Sherron, wife to Jim

Sherron
                                                Participant

Hi everyone – before Jim came down with Melanoma…he had an awful case of pneumonia, and then couple of months later had a bad urniary tract infection…..then along came Mel.

Take Care,

Sherron, wife to Jim

cynraj
                                                  Participant

I'm so glad I found this page, cause I sort of came to a similar conclusion about 10 months ago after my body started exploding with new moles (I'm in my mid 30s), and my biopsies came back with positive stains on all melanoma tests. I was flabbergasted when the dermatologist told me it was because of the sun and to use sunscreen, because I'm from India and am very dark, and new moles at this age are unheard of where I come from. But most unlikely of all, my moles are all in non-sun exposed areas. The conventional wisdom didn't make sense. there had to be another story.

It may not be that long of a shot that Melanoma could be caused primarily by a long dormant virus. This hypothesis would seem to fit most facts known about melanoma. Melanoma runs in families, but according to one study, husbands and wives (obviously not genetically related) were found to have 6 times the rate of melanoma one would expect from a non-contagious disease.

Under the virus hypothesis, a person might have to have: 
                                                    1) exposure to the virus at some point in their lives, and
                                                    2) some sort of damaged skin or tissue (UV rays from sun, X rays, perhaps even chemicals like chlorine in water), and
                                                    3) a weak immune system.

It isn't hard to acquire #2 and #3. #2 – tissue damage may happen to fair skinned people from sun exposure without sunscreen, but could also happen to dark skinned people (like Bob Marley who had a subungual melanoma) from other factors (possibly chlorine or strong, reactive free radicals). #3 – weak immunity happens to everyone at some point. In fact alcohol, illnesses, and a host of other factors depress the immune system. 

My moles started showing up soon after I started dating a girl who has lots of atypical moles on her and has a history of cancer in her family. 

I believe there is research underway by some scientists linking a variant of HPV to melanoma (including by Dr. Harald Hausen who got the Nobel Prize for proving that cervical cancer is caused by a few strains of HPV). There are hundreds of strains of HPV, some causing warts, others causing squamous cell carcinoma, yet others cervical cancer, and yet others apparently harmless. More than 50% of American population carries at least one strain of HPV.  But it could be an entirely new kind of virus that likes to live in melanocytes. 

I have heard of citizen scientists banding up to do research that mainstream, well funded science deems less profitable. Maybe this is one of those areas? I would be willing to team up with and fund anyone who wants to do research into the virus theory.

MamdyT
                                                      Participant
                                                        Hi. I was diagnosed in 2014 with stage 3 melanoma on my left foot, 3rd toe. I always thought that it was strange to get it there if the main cause is UV rays.I will admit that as a child, I did run around barefoot and had a creek in my backyard where I would catch turtles and frogs and have a blast.
                                                        I had a mole on that toe for most of my adult life, but not as a child. I never thought much of it until a wart started growing. As soon as the dermatologist saw the wart, he told me that my toe would have to come off. Honestly, I thought that he was joking.
                                                        I am fair skin and I do have melanoma in my family. But as an adult, I usually wear shoes. Unless I am in the house.
                                                        I’m not sure how much I believe about the heredity thing. My mom used to bake in the sun, she never got it. My dad as well. I may have laid out 3x my entire life (I’m 37) and I get it on a spot that doesn’t even get exposed to the sun.
                                                        I was reading earlier and I saw that it said that it could be caused by a virus. But, not which virus….
                                                        As far as viruses, I’ve never gotten blisters or cold sores, so no herpes. I’ve had pneumonia, I had a very mild case of mono as a teenager.
                                                        Could it be a side effect from a vaccine? One that was obviously not noticed before? I get the flu shot every year and the pneumonia shot every few years. I’m not sure what other virus that so many people could have had.
                                                        Part of me thinks that we all have it, it just depends on if it becomes active or not. Kinda like, Staph Infection.
                                                        Any thoughts????
                                                        MamdyT
                                                        Participant
                                                          Hi. I was diagnosed in 2014 with stage 3 melanoma on my left foot, 3rd toe. I always thought that it was strange to get it there if the main cause is UV rays.I will admit that as a child, I did run around barefoot and had a creek in my backyard where I would catch turtles and frogs and have a blast.
                                                          I had a mole on that toe for most of my adult life, but not as a child. I never thought much of it until a wart started growing. As soon as the dermatologist saw the wart, he told me that my toe would have to come off. Honestly, I thought that he was joking.
                                                          I am fair skin and I do have melanoma in my family. But as an adult, I usually wear shoes. Unless I am in the house.
                                                          I’m not sure how much I believe about the heredity thing. My mom used to bake in the sun, she never got it. My dad as well. I may have laid out 3x my entire life (I’m 37) and I get it on a spot that doesn’t even get exposed to the sun.
                                                          I was reading earlier and I saw that it said that it could be caused by a virus. But, not which virus….
                                                          As far as viruses, I’ve never gotten blisters or cold sores, so no herpes. I’ve had pneumonia, I had a very mild case of mono as a teenager.
                                                          Could it be a side effect from a vaccine? One that was obviously not noticed before? I get the flu shot every year and the pneumonia shot every few years. I’m not sure what other virus that so many people could have had.
                                                          Part of me thinks that we all have it, it just depends on if it becomes active or not. Kinda like, Staph Infection.
                                                          Any thoughts????
                                                          MamdyT
                                                          Participant
                                                            Any thoughts????
                                                          cynraj
                                                          Participant

I'm so glad I found this page, cause I sort of came to a similar conclusion about 10 months ago after my body started exploding with new moles (I'm in my mid 30s), and my biopsies came back with positive stains on all melanoma tests. I was flabbergasted when the dermatologist told me it was because of the sun and to use sunscreen, because I'm from India and am very dark, and new moles at this age are unheard of where I come from. But most unlikely of all, my moles are all in non-sun exposed areas. The conventional wisdom didn't make sense. there had to be another story.

It may not be that long of a shot that Melanoma could be caused primarily by a long dormant virus. This hypothesis would seem to fit most facts known about melanoma. Melanoma runs in families, but according to one study, husbands and wives (obviously not genetically related) were found to have 6 times the rate of melanoma one would expect from a non-contagious disease.

2) some sort of damaged skin or tissue (UV rays from sun, X rays, perhaps even chemicals like chlorine in water), and
                                                            3) a weak immune system.

It isn't hard to acquire #2 and #3. #2 – tissue damage may happen to fair skinned people from sun exposure without sunscreen, but could also happen to dark skinned people (like Bob Marley who had a subungual melanoma) from other factors (possibly chlorine or strong, reactive free radicals). #3 – weak immunity happens to everyone at some point. In fact alcohol, illnesses, and a host of other factors depress the immune system. 

My moles started showing up soon after I started dating a girl who has lots of atypical moles on her and has a history of cancer in her family. 

I believe there is research underway by some scientists linking a variant of HPV to melanoma (including by Dr. Harald Hausen who got the Nobel Prize for proving that cervical cancer is caused by a few strains of HPV). There are hundreds of strains of HPV, some causing warts, others causing squamous cell carcinoma, yet others cervical cancer, and yet others apparently harmless. More than 50% of American population carries at least one strain of HPV.  But it could be an entirely new kind of virus that likes to live in melanocytes. 

I have heard of citizen scientists banding up to do research that mainstream, well funded science deems less profitable. Maybe this is one of those areas? I would be willing to team up with and fund anyone who wants to do research into the virus theory.

cynraj
                                                            Participant

3) a weak immune system.

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics