The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Surgery

Forums General Melanoma Community Surgery

Participant

Has anyone had a melanoma in transit removed after a full lyph node dissection? If so , did you have to have a drainage tube?

Has anyone had a melanoma in transit removed after a full lyph node dissection? If so , did you have to have a drainage tube?

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Reneezd
        Participant

Hello,

My boyfriend had a melanoma tumor removed from the scalp and had to have lymph nodes removed from both sides of neck.  He had drain tube in neck  for a couple weeks, then a long slow healing of tube hole with gauze in it for a few more weeks. (gauze changed daily).

Renee

Reneezd
          Participant

Hello,

My boyfriend had a melanoma tumor removed from the scalp and had to have lymph nodes removed from both sides of neck.  He had drain tube in neck  for a couple weeks, then a long slow healing of tube hole with gauze in it for a few more weeks. (gauze changed daily).

Renee

Reneezd
            Participant

Hello,

Renee

cld
              Participant

In my 3rd week with a drainage tube now.  14 nodes removed from my right arm….5 cancerous.  I'll see my oncologist Tuesday for clinical options…stage 3.  I'm concerned that my options will be l limited due to a multiple sclerosis diagnosis in 2011.  Have been told my ms might be the reason I'm still draining. Honestly, I'm over the tube…want it out to get moving again!

cld
                Participant

In my 3rd week with a drainage tube now.  14 nodes removed from my right arm….5 cancerous.  I'll see my oncologist Tuesday for clinical options…stage 3.  I'm concerned that my options will be l limited due to a multiple sclerosis diagnosis in 2011.  Have been told my ms might be the reason I'm still draining. Honestly, I'm over the tube…want it out to get moving again!

cld
                  Participant

vivian
                    Participant
                      Hi,
                      I read this perhaps differently from the others who replied. I had a wide excision of my primary (left back) in November 2010, followed by CLND of left axilla in December 2010. (I suffered with the drain from that surgery for 22 days-yuck!) In March 2012, I had an in-transit removed from the left underarm area. It was a simple excision, local anesthesia, few stitches, and of course, no drain. I believe I was told that in-transits don’t require the same margins as primaries and lymph nodes, since preventing spread is no longer the issue.

Wishing you the best and hoping your in-transit surgery is as easy as mine!
                      Lear

jennbe9
                        Participant

Thanbk you so much Lear, this helped me so much! They did not  tell me if it  would have general or local anesthesia but I was told it would be a wide local excision almost exactly like my first surgery to remove the primary on my left hip.So I am guessing recovery was easy?

jennbe9
                          Participant

Thanbk you so much Lear, this helped me so much! They did not  tell me if it  would have general or local anesthesia but I was told it would be a wide local excision almost exactly like my first surgery to remove the primary on my left hip.So I am guessing recovery was easy?

jennbe9
                            Participant

vivian
                              Participant
                                Recovery was very easy- virtually painless. I just had to be careful not to pull on the incision. The scar is only about 2 inches long, while the primary scar is easily 7-8 inches long. I do still have lots of weird and uncomfortable feelings in that area, but it’s impossible to tell whether those are from the lymph node dissection or the in-transit removal. Last month I had a VATS removal of a lung met, and that added three more little incisions to the very same area under my left arm and more nerve disturbance. However, all of these are more of annoyances than big pains. So far I have been really lucky in dealing with this stupid melanoma. Keep us posted about your surgery, please. I’ll be thinking about you!
                                Lear
                                vivian
                                Participant
                                  Recovery was very easy- virtually painless. I just had to be careful not to pull on the incision. The scar is only about 2 inches long, while the primary scar is easily 7-8 inches long. I do still have lots of weird and uncomfortable feelings in that area, but it’s impossible to tell whether those are from the lymph node dissection or the in-transit removal. Last month I had a VATS removal of a lung met, and that added three more little incisions to the very same area under my left arm and more nerve disturbance. However, all of these are more of annoyances than big pains. So far I have been really lucky in dealing with this stupid melanoma. Keep us posted about your surgery, please. I’ll be thinking about you!
                                  Lear
                                  jennbe9
                                  Participant
                                    Thank you. You have been very helpful! Surgery is tomorrow morning. Local anesthesia with sedation, then home. I’m sorry about your lung met. I have a nodule on my left lung they are watching but not too concerned about right now. Thank again!
                                    jennbe9
                                    Participant
                                      Thank you. You have been very helpful! Surgery is tomorrow morning. Local anesthesia with sedation, then home. I’m sorry about your lung met. I have a nodule on my left lung they are watching but not too concerned about right now. Thank again!
                                      jennbe9
                                      Participant
                                        vivian
                                        Participant
                                          Lear
                                          jennbe9
                                          Participant

jennbe9
                                            Participant

jennbe9
                                              Participant

vivian
                                              Participant
                                                Hi,
                                                I read this perhaps differently from the others who replied. I had a wide excision of my primary (left back) in November 2010, followed by CLND of left axilla in December 2010. (I suffered with the drain from that surgery for 22 days-yuck!) In March 2012, I had an in-transit removed from the left underarm area. It was a simple excision, local anesthesia, few stitches, and of course, no drain. I believe I was told that in-transits don’t require the same margins as primaries and lymph nodes, since preventing spread is no longer the issue.

Lear

vivian
                                                Participant
                                                  Hi,

Lear

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics