The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Surgery while on Keytruda?

Forums General Melanoma Community Surgery while on Keytruda?

Participant

Has anyone out there had any surgery while taking Keytruda? My husband's resected malig mel, up in his spinal cord at C1-2, is stable, on Keytruda X 9 mo., no mets. His only SEs from Keytruda are itching & fatigue. So his orthopedist, in consult with his Onc doc, is suggesting arthroscopic repair to MRI defined meniscal tears which are causing him significant pain in his left knee and difficulty walking.  He uses hiking poles for stability & can't walk far at one time.  His knees were fine, never a problem, before surgery 10/13 but the left knee was painful to flex after surgery.  As he recovered, it began improving. His knee began to really bother him, would give out, about a month after starting Keytruda (11 months after surgery) & it's steadily gotten worse. I understand immunotherapy can cause increased pain at sites that have already some irritation/inflammation, as say someone who has coexisting arthritis.  We're with Kaiser.

Appreciate any wisdom, red flags, questions we should ask, advice from your experience with surgery/Keytruda.  Thanks in advance.  Have gotten so many helpful tips/links from everyone's posts..A.L.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        arthurjedi007
        Participant

I had a Squamish removed in two surgeries from my neck just after my first dose of yervoy. Didn't have any surgeries when I was on keytruda. My doc basically explained having surgery is like having an open wound where your immune system tries to fix the wound. Since we are on the immunotherapy meds thst can cause our system to go into hyperdrive crazy.

Not sure that helped any. I didn't have any problems with my neck.

Artie

arthurjedi007
          Participant

I had a Squamish removed in two surgeries from my neck just after my first dose of yervoy. Didn't have any surgeries when I was on keytruda. My doc basically explained having surgery is like having an open wound where your immune system tries to fix the wound. Since we are on the immunotherapy meds thst can cause our system to go into hyperdrive crazy.

Artie

arthurjedi007
            Participant

Artie

Bubbles
              Participant

Dear AL,

Glad to hear that your husband's orthopedic doc is consulting with the oncologist.  Anti-PD1 (both Nivo/Opdivo and Pembro/Keytruda) can cause arthritis and arthralgia.  Here is a post I put together re: side effects a bit ago –

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2013/10/side-effects-of-nivolumab.html

Here is an article addressing arthritis and anti-PD1 in particular –

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/11/arthritis-associated-with-anti-pd1.html

However, if the ortho has looked at the MRI, sees things he thinks he can fix to reduce your husband's pain and increase his ambulation, with full understanding of anti-PD1's potential side effects regarding joint pain….then I don't think that there should be a problem caused by the surgery specifically while on anti-PD1.  I think the only catch would be if you were on a trial that did not allow surgey, but I don't think anti-PD1 drugs cause any specific problems with a surgical procedure.  Sadly, I know of several folks who had to have surgery for mets while on the drugs and there were no related problems. Wishing you both my best, celeste

Bubbles
                Participant

Dear AL,

Glad to hear that your husband's orthopedic doc is consulting with the oncologist.  Anti-PD1 (both Nivo/Opdivo and Pembro/Keytruda) can cause arthritis and arthralgia.  Here is a post I put together re: side effects a bit ago –

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2013/10/side-effects-of-nivolumab.html

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/11/arthritis-associated-with-anti-pd1.html

However, if the ortho has looked at the MRI, sees things he thinks he can fix to reduce your husband's pain and increase his ambulation, with full understanding of anti-PD1's potential side effects regarding joint pain….then I don't think that there should be a problem caused by the surgery specifically while on anti-PD1.  I think the only catch would be if you were on a trial that did not allow surgey, but I don't think anti-PD1 drugs cause any specific problems with a surgical procedure.  Sadly, I know of several folks who had to have surgery for mets while on the drugs and there were no related problems. Wishing you both my best, celeste

Bubbles
                  Participant

Dear AL,

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics