The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

surgery while on Anti-PD1 trial

Forums General Melanoma Community surgery while on Anti-PD1 trial

Participant

Hi there,

Has anybody have any surgeries while on Anti-PD1 clinical trials? I have been on Anti1-PD1 / Anti-KIR clinical trial for just over two months. I had a mixed response from my first scans. First of, I'm feeling much better which is great, and some of the tumors shrunk, or even resolved. So I'm happy about that, however, there were others that grew and some new tumors appeared. Now both me, and my oncologist are unsure what will happen in the short term. So I want to be ready to know what the next treatment option is.

Since I have numerous accessible tumors, I want to have a tumor or two, taken out at MD Anderson so they can try to grow the Tcells. If my TIL's grow, MD Anderson can froze those until I might need them, or if I'm qualified for the TIL therapy.

My concern now is that I don't want to just jump ship from my current Anti PD1 / Anti KIR trial. I definitely don't want to get kicked out of the trial by going to another center and having a surgery in the middle of a trial. Is there any way to find out if this is possible? Is there a way to call the pharmaceutical drug/trial directly and ask them?

My reason for removing the tumors and testing to see if MD Anderson can grow my TIL's is a type of insurance for myself. This way, if my current trial/drugs don't work, then I know ahead of time if the TIL therapy is a next option for me.

Any thoughts? Or help? If anybody else encountered similar problem?

Thanks,

Shane

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

I know of one person who was on a Nivo trial at Moffitt and did this very thing.  She was kicked off the Moffitt trial because the TIL process was in a different trial in Colorado and there were rules against participating in two trials at once.  I understand what you're trying to do and don't blame you.  I would talk to my trial coordinator to find out what your options are.  For one thing, anti-PD1 can be slow…so you may gain more response over time.  The other thing is….if you don't see more response…you will still have tumors that you can harvest.  But…I would definitely talk to the managing doc or trial coordinator.  You can't be kicked out for asking.  Wishing you my best.  Celeste

Bubbles
          Participant

I know of one person who was on a Nivo trial at Moffitt and did this very thing.  She was kicked off the Moffitt trial because the TIL process was in a different trial in Colorado and there were rules against participating in two trials at once.  I understand what you're trying to do and don't blame you.  I would talk to my trial coordinator to find out what your options are.  For one thing, anti-PD1 can be slow…so you may gain more response over time.  The other thing is….if you don't see more response…you will still have tumors that you can harvest.  But…I would definitely talk to the managing doc or trial coordinator.  You can't be kicked out for asking.  Wishing you my best.  Celeste

Bubbles
            Participant

BrianP
              Participant

Shane

I'm not sure but another question I have is concerning the TIL trial. I think at NCI they require a 6 week "wash out" period before starting a TIL trial.  Has anderson said it's ok to resect the tumors while nivo is still in your system?

odonoghue80
                  Participant

NCI does need a washout, and from talking to them before it will take about 6 weeks before actually getting the treatment underway. Washouts are tough. I had a 4 week washout going into my current trial and I noticed much tumor growth and I became very weak/sick. 

The difference between MD Anderson and NCI is; MDA can freeze your TIL's (if the harvest works) to be used in the future, and NCI does not freeze. At NCI (which I think they probably know more about the TIL therapy) once you are accepted there you are committed to it. Which is fine, but sometimes that 6 week washout might be too much for some people. I did contact MDA again and they can test for TIL's at any time (I had a tumor resected about 6 months ago but my TIL's did not grow, so I had to search for another treatment).

This brings me to my question, and yours, can you resect tumors while Nivo is still in your system? I'm having trouble finding this answer. I was under the impression that while on immunotherapy you will have a better response and more active TIL's. I asked my oncologist before starting the Anti-PD1/Anti-KIR trial (I'm on now) should I get some tumors resected again for TIL? He told me to wait and that after getting some rounds of the immunotherapy I would have a better response to grow TIL's. If your TIL's are fighting the disease on immunotherapy they will be more present in the resected tumor. It does makes sense, to me at least. So I think now is a perfect time to have the tumors resected, and frozen. 

odonoghue80
                    Participant

NCI does need a washout, and from talking to them before it will take about 6 weeks before actually getting the treatment underway. Washouts are tough. I had a 4 week washout going into my current trial and I noticed much tumor growth and I became very weak/sick. 

The difference between MD Anderson and NCI is; MDA can freeze your TIL's (if the harvest works) to be used in the future, and NCI does not freeze. At NCI (which I think they probably know more about the TIL therapy) once you are accepted there you are committed to it. Which is fine, but sometimes that 6 week washout might be too much for some people. I did contact MDA again and they can test for TIL's at any time (I had a tumor resected about 6 months ago but my TIL's did not grow, so I had to search for another treatment).

This brings me to my question, and yours, can you resect tumors while Nivo is still in your system? I'm having trouble finding this answer. I was under the impression that while on immunotherapy you will have a better response and more active TIL's. I asked my oncologist before starting the Anti-PD1/Anti-KIR trial (I'm on now) should I get some tumors resected again for TIL? He told me to wait and that after getting some rounds of the immunotherapy I would have a better response to grow TIL's. If your TIL's are fighting the disease on immunotherapy they will be more present in the resected tumor. It does makes sense, to me at least. So I think now is a perfect time to have the tumors resected, and frozen. 

RJoeyB
                      Participant

Yes, NCI does require a washout period.  From the inclusion criteria of one of their recent TIL trials:

"Six weeks must have elapsed from the time of any antibody therapy that could affect an anti cancer immune response, including anti-CTLA4 antibody therapy, so at the time the patient receives the preparative regimen to allow antibody levels to decline. Note: Patients who have previously received ipilimumab and have documented GI toxicity must have a colonoscopy with normal colonic biopsies."

It specifically mentions anti-CTLA-4, but safe to assume that "antibody therapy" includes anti-PD-1, too.

As far as freezing of TILs for future use, that's not 100% clear.  They don't have an offering to harvest TILs to be frozen "just in case" you decide to enter a TIL trial down the road.  However, they do freeze TILs for other reasons.  My understanding is that a small sample of the TILs to be infused are preserved for a possible subsequent retreatment (although a subsequent retreatment with TILs derived from the same source is rare).

My TIL harvest experience followed a peculiar path.  The trial I was in at NCI was to evaluate the benefit of pretreating with high-dose IL-2, so it was constructed with two arms and a crossover.  Patients were randomized 50/50 to start with either IL-2 or TIL.  The IL-2 arm received a standard HD IL-2 protocol of round of IL-2, 7-10 days off, then another round of IL-2, followed by a 6 week wait and scans, with the cycle repeated twice more or until disease progression.  If or when there was disease progression, patients were then crossed over to the TIL arm.

I was randomized to the TIL arm and within 4 days was in Bethesda for apheresis and the TIL harvest surgery to remove my original lesion (on my back).  About a week later, I got a call from my Fellow that the cells weren't growing fast enough to yield a sufficient number of TIL cells for reinfusion.  He explained that they would continue to try growing them, but that they would probably eventually "declare" and stop growing altogether.  So I was crossed over to the IL-2 arm and three days later was back in Bethesda to start the first round of IL-2.  I did the first two rounds of IL-2 and when I came back for my 6 week scans and to possibly start the next round of IL-2, it was a "bad news/good news" report.  A bone met in my shoulder had progressed to the point where they were concerned about fracture risk.  However, they had continued trying to grow my TILs (as they said they would) and they did eventually start to grow better.  But I couldn't proceed with the TILs because the fracture risk was so high with my arm that they were concerned I could easily break it (even rolling over in my sleep) and with no immune system after the preparatory chemotherapy regimen, the risk of a life-threatening infection would be too great.  So the plan was to have the bone met addressed (I had an arthroplasty of my entire proximal humerus and now have a 10 inch titantium implant there) and then cross me back over to the TIL arm.  There were some questions about crossing back over, but it all worked out.  So the TILs were frozen while I went through the arthroplasty and recovered.

After recovering from surgery enough to start TIL, we went down to NCI again to get new scans and unfortunately found several new mets (small intestine, soft tissue of my temple, and internal chest wall).  The small intestine one was a particular challenge, again because of the risk of intestinal bleeding and infection.  The other mets were ones that they hoped the TIL would treat.  So I had to have a small bowel resection – they took about 6-8 inches of my small intestine, including a tumor that was a couple of inches across.

They also decided to try growing TILs from that harvested tumor and they grew "like wildfire".  Within three weeks they had enough cells for treatment, and those were the cells I eventually received.  My original TILs are still frozen and "on file" so to speak, as are samples of the ones I received.

Hope that helps.

RJoeyB
                        Participant

Yes, NCI does require a washout period.  From the inclusion criteria of one of their recent TIL trials:

"Six weeks must have elapsed from the time of any antibody therapy that could affect an anti cancer immune response, including anti-CTLA4 antibody therapy, so at the time the patient receives the preparative regimen to allow antibody levels to decline. Note: Patients who have previously received ipilimumab and have documented GI toxicity must have a colonoscopy with normal colonic biopsies."

It specifically mentions anti-CTLA-4, but safe to assume that "antibody therapy" includes anti-PD-1, too.

As far as freezing of TILs for future use, that's not 100% clear.  They don't have an offering to harvest TILs to be frozen "just in case" you decide to enter a TIL trial down the road.  However, they do freeze TILs for other reasons.  My understanding is that a small sample of the TILs to be infused are preserved for a possible subsequent retreatment (although a subsequent retreatment with TILs derived from the same source is rare).

My TIL harvest experience followed a peculiar path.  The trial I was in at NCI was to evaluate the benefit of pretreating with high-dose IL-2, so it was constructed with two arms and a crossover.  Patients were randomized 50/50 to start with either IL-2 or TIL.  The IL-2 arm received a standard HD IL-2 protocol of round of IL-2, 7-10 days off, then another round of IL-2, followed by a 6 week wait and scans, with the cycle repeated twice more or until disease progression.  If or when there was disease progression, patients were then crossed over to the TIL arm.

I was randomized to the TIL arm and within 4 days was in Bethesda for apheresis and the TIL harvest surgery to remove my original lesion (on my back).  About a week later, I got a call from my Fellow that the cells weren't growing fast enough to yield a sufficient number of TIL cells for reinfusion.  He explained that they would continue to try growing them, but that they would probably eventually "declare" and stop growing altogether.  So I was crossed over to the IL-2 arm and three days later was back in Bethesda to start the first round of IL-2.  I did the first two rounds of IL-2 and when I came back for my 6 week scans and to possibly start the next round of IL-2, it was a "bad news/good news" report.  A bone met in my shoulder had progressed to the point where they were concerned about fracture risk.  However, they had continued trying to grow my TILs (as they said they would) and they did eventually start to grow better.  But I couldn't proceed with the TILs because the fracture risk was so high with my arm that they were concerned I could easily break it (even rolling over in my sleep) and with no immune system after the preparatory chemotherapy regimen, the risk of a life-threatening infection would be too great.  So the plan was to have the bone met addressed (I had an arthroplasty of my entire proximal humerus and now have a 10 inch titantium implant there) and then cross me back over to the TIL arm.  There were some questions about crossing back over, but it all worked out.  So the TILs were frozen while I went through the arthroplasty and recovered.

After recovering from surgery enough to start TIL, we went down to NCI again to get new scans and unfortunately found several new mets (small intestine, soft tissue of my temple, and internal chest wall).  The small intestine one was a particular challenge, again because of the risk of intestinal bleeding and infection.  The other mets were ones that they hoped the TIL would treat.  So I had to have a small bowel resection – they took about 6-8 inches of my small intestine, including a tumor that was a couple of inches across.

They also decided to try growing TILs from that harvested tumor and they grew "like wildfire".  Within three weeks they had enough cells for treatment, and those were the cells I eventually received.  My original TILs are still frozen and "on file" so to speak, as are samples of the ones I received.

Hope that helps.

odonoghue80
                          Participant

RjoeyB,

Wow, you had some experience going through the TIL. Thanks for sharing that. I'm curious, did it end up work for you once you finally received the TILs therapy? How was your response?

Also, did you get any biomarkers or indicators that the IL2 part or the TIL would give you an indication what type of response you would have?

Thanks,

Shane

odonoghue80
                            Participant

RjoeyB,

Wow, you had some experience going through the TIL. Thanks for sharing that. I'm curious, did it end up work for you once you finally received the TILs therapy? How was your response?

Also, did you get any biomarkers or indicators that the IL2 part or the TIL would give you an indication what type of response you would have?

Thanks,

Shane

RJoeyB
                              Participant

Like anything, that's a loaded question, but I'll try to keep it short.  Long story short, I had a good response to TIL once I finally started.  With the twists and turns I mentioned above, from the time I signed on the dotted line for the trial until the time I received my cells was about 7 months, but I was thankful to have navigated those challenges to make it to that point.  The day I received my TIL infusion, I had three known metastases:  one in the soft tissue on my temple, one in the internal chest wall (mediastinum), and at least one lymph node in my underarm.  As I mentioned, by that point I'd had two previous tumors harvested for cells, the first was the original lesion on my back, and the second was in my small intestine – the second is what we ended up being what was used for the "batch" of cells I received.  Additionally, I had the tumor in my proximal humerus that was resected and the bone replaced with a titanium implant.

Within a week of receiving the cells, the one on my temple – a lump that was visible and palpable – was visibly shrinking.  I was still at NIH recovering from the IL-2 and my wife and I both noticed it, but were almost afraid to hope (and say anything to each other) that it could actually be shrinking so quickly.  But we asked one of my doctors and he confirmed that, yes, it's possibly it could be happening that soon.  It could also have been the chemotherapy regimen, but if that was the case, the shrinking wouldn't last long.  Within six weeks, I could neither see or feel it.  My six week scans confirmed what we were seeing.  The temple, mediastinal, and node tumors were all decreasing in size.  I received the TIL in March 2011, that 6 week scan was at the end of April.  The next 6 week scan in early June showed additional decrease, not by leaps and bounds, but clinically significant.  

Unfortunately we hit a bump in the road then.  I had gone running on a treadmill at the gym a couple of times in the previous weeks and noticed someting in my left shin.  It wasn't painful, just a new sensation that didn't feel muscular, definitely bone, and I'd never suffered from shin splints before.  So at my June scan in Bethesda, I mentioned it in the interest of full disclosure.  They said to get an x-ray on the way home, before leaving for Philly from NCI.  A couple of days later, my Fellow called and basically said that they couldn't agree on if they were seeing something or nothing, it was minor enough, but recommended I have an MRI to get a better look.  Rather than have it at my home hospital (Fox Chase Cancer Center here in Philly – with trials at NCI, it very much works like a partnership between the home/referring hospital and NCI), it was just easier to make a day trip out of it and go back to Bethesday (3 hours one way) for the MRI – no need to deal with insurance or coordinate having it scheduled and then the images transferred to NCI.  So a few more days and they confirmed that it looked like two small bone mets in my left proximal tibia.  Standard monitoring for melanoma is a CT of chest, abdomen, and pelvis (along with an annual brain MRI), so they never even looked below my knees – I don't have any ill feelings, that's just the way it works.  And now my standard monitoring is a full-body, head-to-toe PET/CT.  So even though it's highly likely these new bone mets in my tibia had been there since well before I received my cells, for purposes of the trial monitoring, I was considered to have "progressive disease".

We scheduled radiation therapy for the bone mets and also have a full restage via PET/CT back at Fox Chase.  The PET/CT could no longer even see the temple or mediastinal tumors, neither physically or metabolically, and the node was decreasing in metabolic "brightness".  My surgical oncologist at Fox Chase, who had helped us find and connect with NCI the year prior, suggested we go ahead and remove the node and the cluster of nodes around it.  It was only left in as part of the trial to measure response, and since I was officially "progressive", there was no need to leave it in.  He removed six nodes – four were clean, one should minimal involvement, and the one that had been the biggest concern was fairly large, but also consisted of a large portion of necrotic (dead scar) tissue with the assumption that the TIL was doing its thing there, too.

So technically, I had a good but short-lived response to TIL before disease progression, but the actual truth is that all of the treated tumors had (or were in the process of) experienced a complete response to TIL.  To this day, I've had no recurrence in the nodes, temple, or chest wall.

I have had subsequent mets, others in the leg bones soon after finding those first ones, but no new ones in nearly three years.  I've also had a slow growing lung met that's responded to radiation along with a lone brain met that was surgically removed and followed up with SRS/CyberKnife, going on 15 months without a recurrence (next brain MRI in two weeks).  I also had Yervoy/ipi a few months after the craniotomy.  So everything since the TIL has been slow-growing and treatable so far.

All in all, I consider myself a responder to TIL combined with a thoughtful approach to navigating through subsequent issues with a good team of doctors.

I hope that helps.

As far as biomarkers, I don't know if I follow your question completely, but there were no tests prior to being randomized to determine if IL-2 or TIL would be a better option.  It was a blind randomization, with the caveat that no matter which arm I started in, I'd have the ability to move to the other arm if needed.  Given the documented response rates, I certainly wanted to try TIL first, but even if I'd been randomized to IL-2,. I knew I'd eventually get TIL if the IL-2 didn't work.

Joe

RJoeyB
                                Participant

Like anything, that's a loaded question, but I'll try to keep it short.  Long story short, I had a good response to TIL once I finally started.  With the twists and turns I mentioned above, from the time I signed on the dotted line for the trial until the time I received my cells was about 7 months, but I was thankful to have navigated those challenges to make it to that point.  The day I received my TIL infusion, I had three known metastases:  one in the soft tissue on my temple, one in the internal chest wall (mediastinum), and at least one lymph node in my underarm.  As I mentioned, by that point I'd had two previous tumors harvested for cells, the first was the original lesion on my back, and the second was in my small intestine – the second is what we ended up being what was used for the "batch" of cells I received.  Additionally, I had the tumor in my proximal humerus that was resected and the bone replaced with a titanium implant.

Within a week of receiving the cells, the one on my temple – a lump that was visible and palpable – was visibly shrinking.  I was still at NIH recovering from the IL-2 and my wife and I both noticed it, but were almost afraid to hope (and say anything to each other) that it could actually be shrinking so quickly.  But we asked one of my doctors and he confirmed that, yes, it's possibly it could be happening that soon.  It could also have been the chemotherapy regimen, but if that was the case, the shrinking wouldn't last long.  Within six weeks, I could neither see or feel it.  My six week scans confirmed what we were seeing.  The temple, mediastinal, and node tumors were all decreasing in size.  I received the TIL in March 2011, that 6 week scan was at the end of April.  The next 6 week scan in early June showed additional decrease, not by leaps and bounds, but clinically significant.  

Unfortunately we hit a bump in the road then.  I had gone running on a treadmill at the gym a couple of times in the previous weeks and noticed someting in my left shin.  It wasn't painful, just a new sensation that didn't feel muscular, definitely bone, and I'd never suffered from shin splints before.  So at my June scan in Bethesda, I mentioned it in the interest of full disclosure.  They said to get an x-ray on the way home, before leaving for Philly from NCI.  A couple of days later, my Fellow called and basically said that they couldn't agree on if they were seeing something or nothing, it was minor enough, but recommended I have an MRI to get a better look.  Rather than have it at my home hospital (Fox Chase Cancer Center here in Philly – with trials at NCI, it very much works like a partnership between the home/referring hospital and NCI), it was just easier to make a day trip out of it and go back to Bethesday (3 hours one way) for the MRI – no need to deal with insurance or coordinate having it scheduled and then the images transferred to NCI.  So a few more days and they confirmed that it looked like two small bone mets in my left proximal tibia.  Standard monitoring for melanoma is a CT of chest, abdomen, and pelvis (along with an annual brain MRI), so they never even looked below my knees – I don't have any ill feelings, that's just the way it works.  And now my standard monitoring is a full-body, head-to-toe PET/CT.  So even though it's highly likely these new bone mets in my tibia had been there since well before I received my cells, for purposes of the trial monitoring, I was considered to have "progressive disease".

We scheduled radiation therapy for the bone mets and also have a full restage via PET/CT back at Fox Chase.  The PET/CT could no longer even see the temple or mediastinal tumors, neither physically or metabolically, and the node was decreasing in metabolic "brightness".  My surgical oncologist at Fox Chase, who had helped us find and connect with NCI the year prior, suggested we go ahead and remove the node and the cluster of nodes around it.  It was only left in as part of the trial to measure response, and since I was officially "progressive", there was no need to leave it in.  He removed six nodes – four were clean, one should minimal involvement, and the one that had been the biggest concern was fairly large, but also consisted of a large portion of necrotic (dead scar) tissue with the assumption that the TIL was doing its thing there, too.

So technically, I had a good but short-lived response to TIL before disease progression, but the actual truth is that all of the treated tumors had (or were in the process of) experienced a complete response to TIL.  To this day, I've had no recurrence in the nodes, temple, or chest wall.

I have had subsequent mets, others in the leg bones soon after finding those first ones, but no new ones in nearly three years.  I've also had a slow growing lung met that's responded to radiation along with a lone brain met that was surgically removed and followed up with SRS/CyberKnife, going on 15 months without a recurrence (next brain MRI in two weeks).  I also had Yervoy/ipi a few months after the craniotomy.  So everything since the TIL has been slow-growing and treatable so far.

All in all, I consider myself a responder to TIL combined with a thoughtful approach to navigating through subsequent issues with a good team of doctors.

I hope that helps.

As far as biomarkers, I don't know if I follow your question completely, but there were no tests prior to being randomized to determine if IL-2 or TIL would be a better option.  It was a blind randomization, with the caveat that no matter which arm I started in, I'd have the ability to move to the other arm if needed.  Given the documented response rates, I certainly wanted to try TIL first, but even if I'd been randomized to IL-2,. I knew I'd eventually get TIL if the IL-2 didn't work.

Joe

RJoeyB
                                  Participant

I hope that helps.

Joe

odonoghue80
                                    Participant

RjoeyB,

Thanks,

Shane

RJoeyB
                                      Participant

Hope that helps.

odonoghue80
                                        Participant

BrianP
                                        Participant

Shane

I'm not sure but another question I have is concerning the TIL trial. I think at NCI they require a 6 week "wash out" period before starting a TIL trial.  Has anderson said it's ok to resect the tumors while nivo is still in your system?

BrianP
                                          Participant

Shane

ecc26
                                            Participant

I'm getting ready to start the Merk EAP (first dose next week) but was basically thinking of doing something similar as my track record for responding for any lenght of time is pretty darn poor. I hadn't gotten as far as actually having a tumor resected or having cells frozen, but I was definitely thinking of at least having an appointment or 2 to get details and see what was involved/time requirements/what was even availiable that I might qualify for, etc.

Good luck to you and please keep posting with what you learn

ecc26
                                              Participant

I'm getting ready to start the Merk EAP (first dose next week) but was basically thinking of doing something similar as my track record for responding for any lenght of time is pretty darn poor. I hadn't gotten as far as actually having a tumor resected or having cells frozen, but I was definitely thinking of at least having an appointment or 2 to get details and see what was involved/time requirements/what was even availiable that I might qualify for, etc.

ecc26
                                                Participant

odonoghue80
                                                    Participant

ecc26,

Good luck with your first infusion. Anti-PD1 seems to be a great drug. Just to let you know I've been on it for just over 2 months now – I was very weak going into this trial, but now I'm feeling much better. The best part is I have no side effects! Maybe some nueropathy but I was so sick going into the drug/trial that I can't complain right now. 

odonoghue80
                                                      Participant

ecc26,

Good luck with your first infusion. Anti-PD1 seems to be a great drug. Just to let you know I've been on it for just over 2 months now – I was very weak going into this trial, but now I'm feeling much better. The best part is I have no side effects! Maybe some nueropathy but I was so sick going into the drug/trial that I can't complain right now. 

odonoghue80
                                                        Participant

ecc26,

hawaii marcus
                                                        Participant

Thanks for posting and asking this. Sorry I don't have any answers, but am on this journey a little further behind you.

I am beginning Yervoy and hoping to get to PD-1 soon. Currently PD-1 is not available in Hawaii, but hope to have Merck EAP by end of  the year.

I appreciate you posting and reading replies. All this info may be good later for me on my journey.

Dx with mucosal melanoma 3/13, radiation to my nose 6/13, spreading to my lymph nodes 3/14. Next stop, Yervoy city!!

Keep fighting!!

Aloha!

hawaii marcus
                                                          Participant

Thanks for posting and asking this. Sorry I don't have any answers, but am on this journey a little further behind you.

I am beginning Yervoy and hoping to get to PD-1 soon. Currently PD-1 is not available in Hawaii, but hope to have Merck EAP by end of  the year.

I appreciate you posting and reading replies. All this info may be good later for me on my journey.

Dx with mucosal melanoma 3/13, radiation to my nose 6/13, spreading to my lymph nodes 3/14. Next stop, Yervoy city!!

Keep fighting!!

Aloha!

hawaii marcus
                                                            Participant

Keep fighting!!

Aloha!

odonoghue80
                                                                Participant

Marcus,

I did Yervoy about two years ago but unfortunately it did not work for me. However, another guy I know well, did Yervoy about 3-4 years ago and has had no issues since. He was pretty sick going into Yervoy and had a complete response. The great thing about Yervoy is its only 4 infusions, and if it works, you can move on and get back to your life. If I were you, I wouldn't focus on the Anti-PD1 just yet, lets hope Yervoy works for you! 

Aloha.

odonoghue80
                                                                  Participant

Marcus,

I did Yervoy about two years ago but unfortunately it did not work for me. However, another guy I know well, did Yervoy about 3-4 years ago and has had no issues since. He was pretty sick going into Yervoy and had a complete response. The great thing about Yervoy is its only 4 infusions, and if it works, you can move on and get back to your life. If I were you, I wouldn't focus on the Anti-PD1 just yet, lets hope Yervoy works for you! 

Aloha.

odonoghue80
                                                                    Participant

Marcus,

Aloha.

odonoghue80
                                                                      Participant

Marcus,

Aloha.

odonoghue80
                                                                        Participant

Marcus,

Aloha.

odonoghue80
                                                                          Participant

Marcus,

Aloha.

odonoghue80
                                                                            Participant

Marcus,

Aloha.

odonoghue80
                                                                              Participant

Marcus,

Aloha.

odonoghue80
                                                                                Participant

Marcus,

Aloha.

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics