The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Surgery went well

Forums General Melanoma Community Surgery went well

Participant

Les' surgery went well on Tuesday.  She had the clinical trial minimally invasive (laproscopic) complete lymph node dissection of her left groin.  Only three 1 inch long incisions in her thigh, one of which has the drain in it now.  There are definitely some divots in her thigh/groin area showing where they removed tissue below the skin.  Other than some nausea/vomiting from the anesthesia she had done very well.  We made the drive home from Duke on Wednesday afternoon, and she's getting around very well.  Now we begin another wait on the patology report on the removed lymph nodes.  We're due back at Duke with Dr.Tyler on the 28th to discuss the pathology, and possibly treatments.  I'm hoping that these removed nodes are clear.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        michaelinsocal
        Participant

I'm glad things went well.

I had the radical lymph node dissection performed on Feb 19th, also on my left groin.

My recovery is a bit longer, almost two weeks in the hospital, partially due to having to undergo physical therapy because of my sartorius muscle having to be moved around which made it weak.

I'm right weeks removed now and getting around pretty good. 

My pathology report came back clear and I wish you the same outcome.

michael

Leslie’sHusband
            Participant

Michael,

The sartorius muscle move was one of the main reasons I pushed for her to get the laproscopic surgery.  We knew going in that if there was a problem doing the lapro, that they would revert to the standard 'open incision' surgery.  Les is recovering well, and getting around good.

I'm glad to hear that your path report came back clear.  Any ideas on follow-up treatment?  Dr. Tyler did mention that she had an 80-90% chance that her report would come back clear, so we're hoping for the best there.  I hope your recovery continues to go well.

David

Leslie’sHusband
              Participant

Michael,

The sartorius muscle move was one of the main reasons I pushed for her to get the laproscopic surgery.  We knew going in that if there was a problem doing the lapro, that they would revert to the standard 'open incision' surgery.  Les is recovering well, and getting around good.

I'm glad to hear that your path report came back clear.  Any ideas on follow-up treatment?  Dr. Tyler did mention that she had an 80-90% chance that her report would come back clear, so we're hoping for the best there.  I hope your recovery continues to go well.

David

Leslie’sHusband
                Participant

Michael,

David

michaelinsocal
                Participant

I had the radical lymph node dissection performed on Feb 19th, also on my left groin.

My recovery is a bit longer, almost two weeks in the hospital, partially due to having to undergo physical therapy because of my sartorius muscle having to be moved around which made it weak.

michael

michaelinsocal
                  Participant

michael

Brent Morris
                    Participant

Glad Leslie is  done with the surgery. I am optimistic about the pathlogy results, the odds are in her favor. Post op is always trying. Both of you should rest as much as you can.

Leslie’sHusband
                        Participant

Les is doing fine, now.  Other than the drain hanging at her side, you could never tell she just had surgery.  The 'grenade' drain bulb is a little bit of a chore for now, but she's coping well with it.  Dr Tyler did mention an 80-90% chance of a clear path report, so that's a good thing.  There does seem to be a little nerve damage from the surgery that is affecting the sensation of the skin on her thigh.  She says that it feels different, a little on the numb side, kind of like it is about half-way asleep but without the tingling sensation.  She also feels like a liquid is running down her thigh once in a while, but everything is dry.  I'm thinking that may be fluids inside her leg moving to the drain, but no way to really tell.  All in all we're happy with how things have turned out so far.

David

Brent Morris
                          Participant

I am glad Leslie is moving around well. Thai is important. Dr. Tyler's number are spot on with the literature. The strange feelings "paresthesias" are common after the surgery. The nerves can get disrupted. Les had the same thing.  Press on.    

Brent Morris
                            Participant

I am glad Leslie is moving around well. Thai is important. Dr. Tyler's number are spot on with the literature. The strange feelings "paresthesias" are common after the surgery. The nerves can get disrupted. Les had the same thing.  Press on.    

Brent Morris
                              Participant

Leslie’sHusband
                                Participant

Les is doing fine, now.  Other than the drain hanging at her side, you could never tell she just had surgery.  The 'grenade' drain bulb is a little bit of a chore for now, but she's coping well with it.  Dr Tyler did mention an 80-90% chance of a clear path report, so that's a good thing.  There does seem to be a little nerve damage from the surgery that is affecting the sensation of the skin on her thigh.  She says that it feels different, a little on the numb side, kind of like it is about half-way asleep but without the tingling sensation.  She also feels like a liquid is running down her thigh once in a while, but everything is dry.  I'm thinking that may be fluids inside her leg moving to the drain, but no way to really tell.  All in all we're happy with how things have turned out so far.

David

Leslie’sHusband
                                  Participant

David

Brent Morris
                                  Participant

Glad Leslie is  done with the surgery. I am optimistic about the pathlogy results, the odds are in her favor. Post op is always trying. Both of you should rest as much as you can.

Brent Morris
                                    Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics