The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Surgery today!

Forums General Melanoma Community Surgery today!

Participant

I have been at MD Anderson since 5 am…just got back to the hotel (after 8:30pm).  The surgery went good, the doc removed one tumor 10mm x 10mm from his left frontal lobe and he was pretty sleepy and in some pain (big headache). 

I have been at MD Anderson since 5 am…just got back to the hotel (after 8:30pm).  The surgery went good, the doc removed one tumor 10mm x 10mm from his left frontal lobe and he was pretty sleepy and in some pain (big headache). 

The Neurosurgeon also delivered some bad news that I have not been able to speak to Dirk about yet.  Last week's MRI showed just one large and 3 small mets in his brain.  Last night's pre-surgery MRI showed 8 small mets now.  I had a few tears and lots of cursing in my mind.  CRAP!   I will get the results of the post op MRI in the morning.  We will talk to Dr. Papa on Monday and decide where to go from here.

Our UCLA Oncologist (Dr. Chmielowski) called today to check on him and said that he was glad that we were at MD.  He said it was the best place for Dirk right now, so I just need to stay positive and believe that we can beat this latest set back.

To Desiree, I sent you an email with my phone number…look for a message from [email protected]!

Thanks everyone for your prayers and support.  I am very grateful that to the wonderful people on this board.  You have kept me sane!!

Jan, wife to Dirk, stage IV

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

Jan,

I'm sorry to hear that the latest mri showed progression. Just when you take one, more show up.  That was special that Dirk's old oncologist called to see how he is doing.

I know you must be exhausted after such a long and draining day.  Do take care of yourself during this battle.

Linda

lhaley
          Participant

Jan,

I'm sorry to hear that the latest mri showed progression. Just when you take one, more show up.  That was special that Dirk's old oncologist called to see how he is doing.

I know you must be exhausted after such a long and draining day.  Do take care of yourself during this battle.

Linda

triciad
            Participant

Jan,

I'm so sorry to hear about the additional mets.  I have heard so many wonderful things about MD Anderson, so it seems you are in a very good place to deal with new mets.  You and Dirk will be in my prayers.  Please take care of yourself, too!  You have been through so much in the past; let's hope the future is full of good news!

Tricia

Vermont_Donna
                Participant

Dear Jan and Dirk,

So sorry for this devastating news, but so glad that you are in one of the BEST melanoma treatment facilities! Keep us posted and like Linda said take care of your too!

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a, NED

Vermont_Donna
                  Participant

Dear Jan and Dirk,

So sorry for this devastating news, but so glad that you are in one of the BEST melanoma treatment facilities! Keep us posted and like Linda said take care of your too!

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a, NED

triciad
                  Participant

Jan,

I'm so sorry to hear about the additional mets.  I have heard so many wonderful things about MD Anderson, so it seems you are in a very good place to deal with new mets.  You and Dirk will be in my prayers.  Please take care of yourself, too!  You have been through so much in the past; let's hope the future is full of good news!

Tricia

CAdesiree
                    Participant

jan- this is desiree.  i'm sorry i didnt get it done yesterday, but josh has your number.  he will be contacting you directly since you are both in texas.  but he should be able to coordiante a group of guys to help you unload, especially dirks baby buell.  you have my number if you need anything.  you are all still in my thoughts & prayers.

CAdesiree
                      Participant

jan- this is desiree.  i'm sorry i didnt get it done yesterday, but josh has your number.  he will be contacting you directly since you are both in texas.  but he should be able to coordiante a group of guys to help you unload, especially dirks baby buell.  you have my number if you need anything.  you are all still in my thoughts & prayers.

Viewing 5 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics