The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Surgery to remove brain mets

Forums General Melanoma Community Surgery to remove brain mets

Hi Everyone.

Has anyone had surgery to remove brain mets?  What was your experience like?  I had a fast growing met removed on March 24th which left me with loss of feeling in my right leg and foot.  The MRI at ten days post surgery showed regrowth.Since then I've started back on Nivolumab coupled with radiation.  At my follow up the brain surgeon mentioned that he feels if he hadn't removed the met I would have lost the use of my right leg and foot.  

I'm waiting for my next MRI to see if the radiation/nivo combo are working on the regrowth and if there are any new mets.  This met popped up while I was taking a break from the Ipi/Nivo combo treatment due to hepatitis.  Aside from the hepatitis the treatment had been working well and many tumors had shrunk.  I just had my 4th Nivo only infusion yesterday and aside from high TSH it looks like I'm tolerating the treatment well.  Abdominal tumors are getting smaller or not getting bigger but progress has slowed way down.  

My 5 year old has started asking me why I have a big bald spot and why I'm still sick.  She thinks I should be better already (it's been 7 months).  I told her the medicine made my hair fall out but she doesn't understand how that is possible.  

Thanks,

Jennifer

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Replies
      UBContributor
      Participant

Oh dear, so sorry for what you are experiencing and scaring to read too.  I hope those who had brain radiation will share their stories here. Good luck! Keep us updated!  

marta010
        Participant

Hi Jennifer – since first diagnosed in 2012, my husband, Larry, had had two craniotomies and 4 gamma knife procedures for brain mets.  In addition, he's had multiple additional treatments (Zelboraf, Ipi, Dabrafenib, Radiation, Keytruda). His brain (and body) is currently stable.  He had no issues following any of the gamma knife treatments or after the first craniotomy.  Second craniotomy left him with some vision loss due to the pressure from the brain met which seemed to come out of nowhere and was quite large when he had surgery to remove. Since it's been more than a year since the last craniotomy, we don't think his vision will come back – too much damage from the tumor. Are you BRAF positive?  Have you tried dabrafenib/MEK?  Hang in there.

Ann

Thanks for sharing Larry's story with me.  I'm waiting to find out if I'm BRAF positive.  They did the test back in September but I didn't pay much attention to it then so I'm waiting for them to pull the results out of the file for me.  I haven't tried dabrafenib/MEK yet.  I'm starting to think about asking the DR when we need to look at additional treatments.  The nivo seems to be working but I don't know how long it will continue to work.

I hope Larry continues to do well.

Thank you,

Jennifer

zfishberg
            Participant

My husband had a craniotomy in October of last year to remove one large lesion- about 3 cm. From the left parietal lobe.

the surgery went very well and he did not have any complications. He recovered very quickly.

He had 2 Gamma Knife procedure after that. He did experience swelling and pain after both of them and his speech  and balance were affected as well. After taking steroids all these complications went away.

He was on Taff/Mek and then on Keytruda, but the decease progressed in the brain.

Now he is on ipi/nivo – tomorrow is the second infusion.

This is our last hope to control the beast.

I hope the ipi/nivo treatment is the answer for your husband.  I initially had two brain mets that disappeared while I was on the ipi/nivo treatment.  The met I had removed popped up when I was off treatment due to hepatitis.  I know many patients get through the course with minimal side effects.  Hopefully your husband is in this category.  Thinking good thoughts for you both.

Thanks,

Jennifer

Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics