The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Surgery for deep subQs?

Forums General Melanoma Community Surgery for deep subQs?

Participant

So my 3-month PET wasn't exactly what I wanted – there are three small (4-5 mm), low-SUV (1-2) nodules in various places in my butt.  Could be nothing (e.g., cysts), but with MM…nothing's ever "nothing."  The nurse mentioned one possible outcome would be to have a surgeon remove them.  My doctor's appointment isn't until Thursday, but of course I want to go in armed with as much info as possible.  So here's the question:  two of the nodules are too deep to feel (one is 1 cm beneath the skin, and another is deeper still)

So my 3-month PET wasn't exactly what I wanted – there are three small (4-5 mm), low-SUV (1-2) nodules in various places in my butt.  Could be nothing (e.g., cysts), but with MM…nothing's ever "nothing."  The nurse mentioned one possible outcome would be to have a surgeon remove them.  My doctor's appointment isn't until Thursday, but of course I want to go in armed with as much info as possible.  So here's the question:  two of the nodules are too deep to feel (one is 1 cm beneath the skin, and another is deeper still).  I can't feel these two.  How would a surgeon even find them to take out?  And what exactly would the surgeon take out?  My two previous subQs have been near the skin surface on my back and they were removed in a procedure analagous to a WLE, including an ellipse of surface skin.  That doesn't make sense to me for the deeper ones.

Anybody have experience?  How is surgery handled for deep, small lesions?

KatyWI, Stage IV, maybe still NED 4 months, or maybe not.

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Eileen L
        Participant

Katy, I had a sub q in my buttock that no one could feel. Went to see the surgeon. Not only did he immediately feel it (magic fingers!) but was able to see it with a portable ultrasound. He could tell that although the tumor was deep into the sub-q tissue it looked as though it was just above the muscle so he went in surgically and popped it out. It was done under "conscious sedation" and the recovery involved minimal pain and discomfort. So go ahead and get a surgical consult. The surgeon is the best person to evaluate if the tumors are easily removed or if it might involve going into muscle, which would pose a whole other set of potential issues surgically and post-operatively.

Eileen L

Stage IV

KatyWI
            Participant

Thank you Eileen!  A little bit of encouragement goes a long way.  I like my muscles quite a lot the way they are and really that's mey cheif worry.  I haven't seen the PET films or even the report yet myself so maybe mine are all above the muscle.

KatyWI

KatyWI
              Participant

Thank you Eileen!  A little bit of encouragement goes a long way.  I like my muscles quite a lot the way they are and really that's mey cheif worry.  I haven't seen the PET films or even the report yet myself so maybe mine are all above the muscle.

KatyWI

Eileen L
              Participant

Katy, I had a sub q in my buttock that no one could feel. Went to see the surgeon. Not only did he immediately feel it (magic fingers!) but was able to see it with a portable ultrasound. He could tell that although the tumor was deep into the sub-q tissue it looked as though it was just above the muscle so he went in surgically and popped it out. It was done under "conscious sedation" and the recovery involved minimal pain and discomfort. So go ahead and get a surgical consult. The surgeon is the best person to evaluate if the tumors are easily removed or if it might involve going into muscle, which would pose a whole other set of potential issues surgically and post-operatively.

Eileen L

Stage IV

King
                Participant

Katy,

I had a 6mm deep subq in my upper butt that showed up on a PET/CT as well.  It could not be felt by me, my medical oncologist nor a pathologist.  A few days later, I had a US (ultrasound) guided biopsy…it was located easily and the biopsy was obtained (positive for melanoma).

I also had a recurrence around my pancreas at the same time.  The subq was removed during the same surgery that was done for the peri-pancreatic tumor.  So, since I was sound asleep (general anesthetic), I'm not sure how it was located this time…I do know I have a 7 inch scar from it.  But it's gone.

Stay Strong
                  King

Stage IV 7/05 Liver mets

King
                  Participant

Katy,

I had a 6mm deep subq in my upper butt that showed up on a PET/CT as well.  It could not be felt by me, my medical oncologist nor a pathologist.  A few days later, I had a US (ultrasound) guided biopsy…it was located easily and the biopsy was obtained (positive for melanoma).

I also had a recurrence around my pancreas at the same time.  The subq was removed during the same surgery that was done for the peri-pancreatic tumor.  So, since I was sound asleep (general anesthetic), I'm not sure how it was located this time…I do know I have a 7 inch scar from it.  But it's gone.

Stay Strong
                    King

Stage IV 7/05 Liver mets

Viewing 3 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics